External cases for a Teensy 2?

Compgeke

25 May 2013, 04:47

Well, I figured that whenever I get the parts needed to build one of the converters Soarer created, I would love to have an external one that I could easily use for testing keyboards.

The first thing I thought of was to make a 3D model of one and print it out on the school 3D printer. Here's the result of that.
In the 3 pieces:
The "front" or where you can put a DIN connector:
The back, where a USB cable goes for the Teensy 2:

Now, I do notice a couple issues after building. One is my USB port area is too small for my USB port. The other is the very bottom piece is missing a couple spots where it was lowered on the base to allow for soldered spots to sit flat and so the DIN connector has a spot to sit. It also printed a bit smaller, so I'm going to assume the (quite unreliable) 3D printer screwed that up being as the 3 parts were all cut from a single model.

I'm planning on trying something else, a bit thinner walls and hopefully spaced right. Has anyone else ever made an external case\box they would mind sharing, whether machined or hand made? I would love to see what other people have done, as I have a feeling there are far better designs to be done.

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2013, 16:28

ButchFork wrote: buy my house now
Thread necromancy is a huge warning sign for spam around here.

JBert

01 Aug 2013, 20:13

Should I report your post for quoting spam? Hmmm, not too sure...

Muirium
µ

01 Aug 2013, 20:14

I edited the URL. Buy my URL.

Coincidentally, I am making a Teensy 2 house. But it's not for sale.

Compgeke

02 Aug 2013, 01:24

Just curious, what you making yours from?

Unfortunately I accidentally smashed mine, PLA can't hold an 80 pound computer it seems.

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2013, 02:53

Indeed. I'm going low tech with mine. I bought a die cast metal project box which I'll drill the appropriate holes in once I've got all the needed bits. So far, I've got a PS/2 socket and a DIN socket hooked up to the Teensy (as a Soarer's converter). But I need RJ45 now I have an IBM Terminal keyboard, and I'm adding a rotary switch to protect against the inevitable moment that I accidentally have more than one connected!

A metal box with a bunch of ports and a mode dial. Should be able to stand up to a beating. Still looking for a good solution for the USB side of the converter, however. I've ideas but no answers.

Peter

03 Aug 2013, 17:29

altoids.jpg
altoids.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 1957 times

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2013, 17:35

I've seen some nice projects done with them. But, nah, too squishy. I don't trust a box if I can't stand on it. Because sooner or later I will anyway.

Return to “Workshop”