From Model M to 60%

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jun 2013, 15:58

This turned out to be a really funny project.

From this:

To this:

With some paint it will look like new!

Now I'm reverse engineering the matrix which is pretty random.

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2013, 16:25

But… but!

How did you shrink the case?
What did you do to the membrane? That's a lot of folding in a tight space!
And where did all these caps come from?

Whatever dark powers of magic you have, Matteo, I surely don't understand them.

Edit: What caps! I should know better than to judge by what detail squeezes onto a 3.5" screen…
Last edited by Muirium on 22 Jun 2013, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

ماء

22 Jun 2013, 16:37

HBK?
but You call it what mate0 or fixed HBK

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jun 2013, 16:55

Muirium wrote:How did you shrink the case?
Dremel, sand paper and... love.
Muirium wrote:What did you do to the membrane? That's a lot of folding in a tight space!
Folded under the plate. There's enough space for that and then more :)
Muirium wrote:Whatever dark powers of magic you have, Matteo, I surely don't understand them.
I'm not particularly talented... I just like customizing things and I have a lot of patience. Also I have a background as a modeler so I know how to fit plastic
ماء wrote:HBK?
but You call it what mate0 or fixed HBK
I'd call it HHBS (Happy Hacking Buckling Spring) :P

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2013, 17:03

matt3o wrote: I'm not particularly talented... I just like customizing things and I have a lot of patience. Also I have a background as a modeler so I know how to fit plastic
I'll say. Yikes! I'd never have attempted something as bold with my first Model M. Looks like you got it in one!

A nicely documented guide to how you do the matrix discovery and Teensy installation steps will be particularly interesting, as I've exactly that process in mind when I do bag one.

tinnie

22 Jun 2013, 17:05

matt3o wrote: I'd call it HHBS (Happy Hacking Buckling Spring) :P
Not happy hacking bull shit? :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Jun 2013, 17:14

Muirium wrote:I'll say. Yikes! I'd never have attempted something as bold with my first Model M. Looks like you got it in one!

A nicely documented guide to how you do the matrix discovery and Teensy installation steps will be particularly interesting, as I've exactly that process in mind when I do bag one.
I'll take more photos of the inside and post the matrix config asap... I have so many ongoing projects... next week I should receive all the components I need for the brownfox so this BS will be probably put on hold, but I must say that I love these switches so much that the HHBS could become my daily driver...

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2013, 17:22

Buckling Spring: worst initials, but quite possibly the Best Switch.

Thought you'd take ages to get around to this sweet hack, Matteo. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the hard part already done. But just as happy to hear about fresh progress on the custom 60% project. With any luck, you'll have a lasered aluminium case ready for me by the time those Dolch DSAs come…

(First time group buyer alert. Maybe I shouldn't expect them until winter! Uh oh…)

hasu

23 Jun 2013, 00:23

Looks Great. We need more pics!

Cut unneeded function row and be happier :)

Muirium
µ

23 Jun 2013, 00:42

More pics indeed.

The trouble with removing the function row is that the case would need more drastic remodelling. Trimming horizontally is much easier than vertically, by the looks of it. The Model M case has "an end" on either side, and Matteo's trimmed out some of the middle and rejoined next to the end on the right. I don't think there's as anything like as convenient a geometry to chop off the function row. Not without building a new case, almost.

I so want to make my own SSK now!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Jun 2013, 08:44

hasu wrote:Looks Great. We need more pics!

Liku Muirium says, it would be impossible to remove the function row without rebuilding the whole case. It would be a hell of a project :) I'll take more photos of the internals later today.

hasu

23 Jun 2013, 10:35

matt3o wrote:
hasu wrote:Looks Great. We need more pics!

Liku Muirium says, it would be impossible to remove the function row without rebuilding the whole case. It would be a hell of a project :) I'll take more photos of the internals later today.
Yes, that was the most difficult and time consuming part and I couldn't do it well.
I think it is exactly a job for modeler. I'd see beautiful job by skilled modeler!

JorisBoers

30 Dec 2015, 23:59

I know this is an old post but do you have any other pictures of the process?

Do you have any tips if I would try this, I love the idea of a 60% Model M :D

Return to “Workshop”