Wood 60% Case

The_Beast

16 Jul 2013, 08:11

Just thought I'd post this here at DT as well as GH. I'll try to keep this thread updated with info, but the GH thread will always be up to date, sorry DT :(
A quick link to the GH thread

So I started another bottom with butternut (It's a blonde species of walnut.) Anyways, after extensive testing the PCB and plate didn't fit in this new butternut bottom :(. Well, it was to be expected since I added around .015" extra material to the templates to account for the deflection of the lazer. Anyways after a TON of cleaning up with sand paper and a file, mounting, unmounting, remounting and routering of the bottom, everything is snug as a bug and working!

I did mess up the top of the case, having to add a recess for the DIP switch, sanding and chamfering the edges, but that will all be done tomorrow.

All put together

Bottom. I still need to redrill and counterbore the 4 corners

Back edge with the USB cutout. I slipped with the router and made that small cutout. It's not intended

USB cable fits! This is a MiMiC stainless steel cable. If also fits quite snugly.

Side profile with a Cherry WOB cap

Cap being depressed

The inside of the case is not sanded or anywhere close to being perfect. Hopefully I can get better at this, but it's hard to hold a 3+ lbs router and balance it on a 1.5" surface. All the tiny marks are from the router being pivoted in. Sanding should help, but it's not going to be prefect (I'm not a human CNC)

And the final height of the case. I think the typical height is around .75". I still need feet and I'm thinking a bar type would work since the round feet are proving hard to turn on the lathe

Icarium

16 Jul 2013, 10:14

We should have "Like" buttons. Because I don't have anything to contribute but I think this is really cool.
What kind of tools did you use? Which parts did you have made?
I looked at some of the pictures on GH but a more verbose description would be great. I'm not that craft-savvy. :)

cookie

16 Jul 2013, 10:30

Really nice work!
Looks like you did it with a cnc machine :D
More sanding some coates of matt varnish and it's done!

Muirium
µ

16 Jul 2013, 12:19

The wood case from this + the metal plate from this. Intriguing!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jul 2013, 13:15

problem with wood is how the switches sound. but an intriguing design nonetheless

BimboBB

16 Jul 2013, 13:28

How does the switches sound in a wood case?

Muirium
µ

16 Jul 2013, 13:31

I'm guessing a bit damped, or bit bassy. Wood transmits sound very differently to metal or plastic. But not necessarily in a bad way. Just look at musical instruments!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jul 2013, 13:32

wood reverbs. you may like it, actually.

Muirium
µ

16 Jul 2013, 13:34

Springs reverb too, of course. Wood case buckling spring: for maximum sound!

The_Beast

16 Jul 2013, 16:10

Icarium wrote:We should have "Like" buttons. Because I don't have anything to contribute but I think this is really cool.
What kind of tools did you use? Which parts did you have made?
I looked at some of the pictures on GH but a more verbose description would be great. I'm not that craft-savvy. :)
Other than a jointer and planer to get the wood flat, it's all done on a hand held router and a drill press. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'll try to word them for the non craft savvy :D

BimboBB wrote:How does the switches sound in a wood case?
I haven't typed on it yet since I'm not 100% done with it

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Jul 2013, 03:06

Have you considered finger modeling?

The_Beast

17 Jul 2013, 09:18

prdlm2009 wrote:Have you considered finger modeling?

That's not my finger

dun dun dun.........

Anyways, I redid the top so that it was right and it works for the most part. I also made a bar style foot

I only wanted to put chamfers on the bottom of the foot, but I am a dumb and did all 4 corners. I think it still look really good.

What do you guys think?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Jul 2013, 09:28

I like the stand! very nice project beast, as always!

cookie

17 Jul 2013, 12:56

I don't like the stand tbh, the rest is verry nice!

The_Beast

17 Jul 2013, 15:01

cookie wrote:I don't like the stand tbh, the rest is verry nice!

What don't you like about it? I'd love to get everyone's opinion :D

cookie

17 Jul 2013, 15:16

The case itself is quite high, together with the stand this thing is so huge that it seems to lose benefits from the small form factor. I also dislike the angle it creates, it's way to big for my taste but I like my keyboards generally a little bit flatter.

The stand simlpy looks like it doesn't belong there, but thats only my opinion.
As I said, the rest is verry nice :D

BimboBB

17 Jul 2013, 15:27

Maybe a triangle or a circle style stand might look better.

Whats the weight of yr wood-case? (with pcb & plate)

The_Beast

17 Jul 2013, 15:50

cookie wrote:The case itself is quite high, together with the stand this thing is so huge that it seems to lose benefits from the small form factor. I also dislike the angle it creates, it's way to big for my taste but I like my keyboards generally a little bit flatter.

The stand simlpy looks like it doesn't belong there, but thats only my opinion.
As I said, the rest is verry nice :D
I was planning on moving the foot further back and maybe making the foot a bit thinner. I do agree that the angle is a bit high

BimboBB wrote:Maybe a triangle or a circle style stand might look better.

Whats the weight of yr wood-case? (with pcb & plate)
I have thought about that, I just wanted to get a foot on this one. If I had to choose, it would be more circular/rounded

It's right around 500g with a few switches and that one cap on (basically with everything in the pictures above)

The_Beast

01 Aug 2013, 02:01

I'm now taking order on these cases. PM me here on check out my sale thread on GH for more info!

Return to “Workshop”