WYSE terminal board mod

intealls

04 May 2011, 20:32

Just finished modding this old WYSE board I bought from Half-Saint.

The keys have been retrobrighted (that stuff is awesome) and the switches have been replaced with old blue cherries. The controller is a Teensy++ 2.0 with dmw's HH firmware. Full macro programmability ftw!

Thought the RJ11-plug looked kinda cool, so decided to keep it. :)

I think it's a pretty nice board, no NKRO though, and the matrix is actually kind of limiting. But it's got a 'Do' button, which totally makes up for these shortcomings.

I might retrobright the case and hook up the leds sometime.

Here's the matrix in case anyone is interested.

Code: Select all

1       2       10      11      12      13      14      15      16      17      18      19      20      29 (D9)
21      F7      F6      F12     F11     F10     F9      F8      F13     F5      F4      F3      F2      F1      
22              LShift  D       F       S       A       RShift  G       Space   :;      |\      "'      Return  F17
23      Ctr             O       I       U       CompL           Lock    Q       E       W       R       Tab     F14
24      P       H       3       2       1       ~       Remove  CompR   +=      -_      0       9       8       F18
25      BSP     T       M       B       N       AltL    4       Insert  V       X       C       Z       <>      F19
26      {[      J       n9      n8      Prev    <,      5       AltR    n7      PF4     PF3     PF2     PF1     Help
27      }]      K       n3      Next    n-      >.      6       Y       n2      n1      n6      n5      n4      Do
28      Right   L       Find    nEnter  n+      ?/      7       Select  Left    Down    Up      n,      n0      F20
[/size]
wysecontroller.jpg
wysecontroller.jpg (133.01 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
Pics!
wyse5.jpg
wyse5.jpg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
wyse4.jpg
wyse4.jpg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
wyse3.jpg
wyse3.jpg (112.57 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
wyse2.jpg
wyse2.jpg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
wyse1.jpg
wyse1.jpg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 6342 times

Findecanor

04 May 2011, 21:21

Nice! Is the Teensy++ soldered to the circuit board pin by pin?

I could have got myself one of those yesterday, but I didn't ... Silly me.
Where did you get the ingredients for Retrobright in Sweden? I could use some. :)

intealls

04 May 2011, 21:39

Hehe, Färg-Kemi in Lund. :) 1 liter 17% hydrogen peroxide, 79 kr. Worth every öre! I didn't bother with the full blender/xanthan gum thing, just some hydrogen peroxide (diluted to 10-12%) and a dash of vanish oxi-clean and a few days wait! I'll probably need to use the real recipe when doing the case though (will get quite pricey otherwise :) ).

I think there are three jumpers on the backside of the controller socket, one from D9 (29 in pic) to 5 or 6, and two from 18-19 somewhere (the Teensy had GND and REF there I think) to 7 and 8 but no other tweaks were necessary.

xbb

04 May 2011, 23:03

Nice board.
Wonder what are the ingredients for retrobright in italy :/

The Solutor

04 May 2011, 23:41

xbb wrote:Nice board.
Wonder what are the ingredients for retrobright in italy :/

Ingredients for retrobrite are still the same.

BTW the good old cocktail 50% ammonia (ammoniaca) and 50% hydrogen peroxide (acqua ossigeneata) is still the more effective whitening agent for plastics (better to not drink it)

Half-Saint

05 May 2011, 12:08

Nice job! No, very nice job! :)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 May 2011, 11:58

Great job on the mod! I am not a fan of these WYSE boards, since I find the arrow key positioning to be pretty annoying. I am too spoiled by the usual arrow keys and too new-school, I guess :D

intealls

06 May 2011, 15:12

I think it looks kinda cool, a bit off somehow. The positioning doesn't really bother me (I rarely use them, FN+IJKL for arrow keys is fantastic once you've gotten used to it). I really like the look of this board. I can't tell if it's hideous or perfect, and I think that's why I like it so much. That, and the plate mounted blue cherries are actually a *lot* nicer than the PCB-mounted ones, they hurt the fingers a bit when bottoming out, sure, but the typing experience is just so much more solid.

BiNiaRiS

27 May 2011, 01:27

Are you for hire? Haha. I've wanted a WYSE keyboard for awhile but I don't have the electronic know-how to mod one :/

Sent from my EVO

intealls

27 May 2011, 18:31

Hehe, the WYSE board looks great, but I've found that it's not really that great for general usage. The matrix is just too limiting, I also imagine it would be totally useless for gaming. A stock NKRO WYSE terminal board would be pretty awesome though (do they exist?). But if you really want one, I'm sure we could work something out. :)

I'm located in Sweden though, and shipping would be killer if you're not in Europe.

Return to “Workshop”