HHFox (aka: DIY PCB)

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2013, 18:03

matt3o wrote:Keyboard finally finished!

Just a pinch smaller than Filco Minila Air!

I'm now trying to get used to the HHKB layout (with some important variations actually).

All switches are MX Blue except for the right FN which is Red. After a while working on it I found a little tiring to pinky-press it, so I softened it a bit with a MX Red.

Home/End are on < and > instead of L and .
It feels much more natural to me this way.

The Hyper key is actually a second FN key. very useful to reach the function layer with the left hand. The C64 is for firmware update. Everything else is very close to the HHKB.

This is by far the most complicated, long to build, swear-prone, keyboard I've ever build... But it's also definitely the best one! :)

Stay tuned for the next custom keyboard :) (I've got an ALU poker case so I might end up doing something with it)
Nice job, as always. What was hard about it compared to earlier efforts? The PCB or the new case design? I found the stepped case a bit of an art to line up, but my version has been essentially well behaved once I got bolts into it. My wiring is the suspect part, a problem I doubt you have!

But a firmware reset key right where my thumbs expect Command to be: never let me near your keyboard, I couldn't help but trip that in a minute!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Dec 2013, 18:48

Muirium wrote: Nice job, as always. What was hard about it compared to earlier efforts? The PCB or the new case design? I found the stepped case a bit of an art to line up, but my version has been essentially well behaved once I got bolts into it. My wiring is the suspect part, a problem I doubt you have!

But a firmware reset key right where my thumbs expect Command to be: never let me near your keyboard, I couldn't help but trip that in a minute!
the case it very very slim, 1mm too much actually. So it was not easy to fit the switch matrix. Also the PCB was an added level of complexity. The box to the back was source of frustration to have it perfectly screwed. But anyway it was a fun experiment and one of the best keyboard I've done so far.

The firmware update is activated on LSHIFT+RSHIFT+Firmware key. quite hard to misstype that :)

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2013, 18:59

After trimming my matrix's loose ends, I'm still getting the occasional phantom column lighting up. Perhaps I've not enough space inside either (there's never anything wring until the case is closed and tightened) and perhaps I could use an extra layer to compensate. I do have a spare I should try, actually…

Acrylic features in my Bluetooth upgrade sooner or later anyway. The signal needs a window in all that metal somewhere.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Dec 2013, 19:04

did you cut the tips of the switch pins?
also check that the diodes don't touch the plate (not the case bottom). when you close the keyboard tight the diodes might press over the plate.

scottc

02 Dec 2013, 19:05

This is really cool! I wish I had the patience and/or skills to do something like this.

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2013, 20:17

matt3o wrote:did you cut the tips of the switch pins?
also check that the diodes don't touch the plate (not the case bottom). when you close the keyboard tight the diodes might press over the plate.
Good point. I'm likely underestimating just how cosy things get right at the slim front of the closed case!
scottc wrote:This is really cool! I wish I had the patience and/or skills to do something like this.
When I first saw Steely, I asked Matteo if I could buy one. He talked me into making my own (with a lot of assistance!) but they're pretty tough, should survive shipping pretty easily, and I still think there's a market for readymade Matt3o originals.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Dec 2013, 20:41

Muirium wrote:there's a market for readymade Matt3o originals.
mmmmh... [scratching beard]

Muirium
µ

02 Dec 2013, 20:50

Hmm…

scottc

02 Dec 2013, 21:13

Muirium wrote: When I first saw Steely, I asked Matteo if I could buy one..
Aaaah, no, don't tempt me, please! :shock:

I'll give it a go at some point, definitely!

Aleksander

03 Dec 2013, 18:20

What does the HHfox say?

jdcarpe

03 Dec 2013, 18:36

Aleksander wrote:What does the HHfox say?
Aclick-click-click-click-clickeyclickaclick!
C-Click-click-click-click-clickeyclickaclick!
C-Click-click-click-click-clickeyclickaclick!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Dec 2013, 18:39

in a really foxy way though

Aleksander

03 Dec 2013, 19:01

I do not say this very often, but LOL!

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2014, 13:41

Reckon you could make a PCB with holes to mount a Teensy on it? Like PJE's OneHand?
I'm thinking of a new custom keyboard formula…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Feb 2014, 13:47

yes, that would be possible... but... in a month or so I should have the CNC that I could use to make pro-grade PCBs

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2014, 13:50

Nice, nice, nice! Reckon you could even fit the Atmel processor and a mini/micro USB socket directly? That could really slim things down.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Feb 2014, 13:52

Muirium wrote:Nice, nice, nice! Reckon you could even fit the Atmel processor and a mini/micro USB socket directly? That could really slim things down.
yes, that should be possible too. I don't know which is the definition of the cnc yet though. Also SMD components are a hell to solder.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2014, 14:11

Indeed. Some folk here have managed it, but just the look of the process gives me fear!

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/toas ... t6861.html

Even a PCB mounted Teensy is a big step up, though. I was inside my 60% yesterday to fit an MXLOCK (huzzah!) which was nice and easy, but the wiring is a proper mess: both the matrix and its web of links to the Teensy. Could I give your CNC a test by trying a PCB upgrade for my shiny?

As for other plans I'm cooking, I'm thinking of trying out a Matias 60%. Turns out I love the feel of my (damped tactile Alps) Apple Extended Keyboard II, and Matias' tactile switches are said to be just as good. I've got two full sets of good Alps caps, and the switches are fairly priced. Stabs aren't great, but I might get creative with smaller keys instead. Perhaps I could make a plate and PCB pair that could fit in one of those nice alu cases TEX is selling? I might even mix up clicky, tactile, and hand modded damped clicky switches for experiment…

Or just go MX the moment my Round 5 caps show up! And then there's the stepped pyramid concept I have for a minimised TKL case.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Feb 2014, 14:23

Muirium wrote:Indeed. Some folk here have managed it, but just the look of the process gives me fear!

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/toas ... t6861.html
I plan on giving it a shot.
Muirium wrote:Even a PCB mounted Teensy is a big step up, though. I was inside my 60% yesterday to fit an MXLOCK (huzzah!) which was nice and easy, but the wiring is a proper mess: both the matrix and its web of links to the Teensy. Could I give your CNC a test by trying a PCB upgrade for my shiny?
Sure, no problem. Consider that you could remove the plastic bits from the headers and have the teensy touch the PCB (putting some insulation in between). That is what I'm planning to do for the SLK-1 (ohmy! what I've said?!).
Muirium wrote:As for other plans I'm cooking, I'm thinking of trying out a Matias 60%. Turns out I love the feel of my (damped tactile Alps) Apple Extended Keyboard II, and Matias' tactile switches are said to be just as good. I've got two full sets of good Alps caps, and the switches are fairly priced. Stabs aren't great, but I might get creative with smaller keys instead. Perhaps I could make a plate and PCB pair that could fit in one of those nice alu cases TEX is selling? I might even mix up clicky, tactile, and hand modded damped clicky switches for experiment…
As always, the problem is with stabs. I still have to find a focus in the old continent...

but anyway with a CNC at disposal the possibilities are endless... I'd also like to try wooden case (and keys)... and I'm more than happy to let you folks take advantage of the deadly machine.

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2014, 14:38

You're the mad scientist I've always dreamed of! This will be good…

Aleksander

13 Feb 2014, 15:26

nice to see that you decided to buy a CNC:)
What machine did you buy?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Feb 2014, 15:34

Aleksander wrote:nice to see that you decided to buy a CNC:)
What machine did you buy?
it's a mix of components, in fact I'm waiting for the side bars that should be ready in a couple of weeks. It's not super high quality, but I prefer to start with something small and upgrade if I like it.

Aleksander

13 Feb 2014, 15:43

sounds like a good idea :)

mtl

13 Feb 2014, 22:55

Muirium wrote:And then there's the stepped pyramid concept I have for a minimised TKL case.
This could be brilliant. Do you have a sketch? I'm thinking it's like the 60% main typing area at the regular height, but then the other 15% (arrow keys, ins/del/home/end cluster, etc.) sort of recessed at a lower height, and the case would be thinner in these areas.

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2014, 00:24

Sounds a nice idea! I'm actually just thinking of a multi-mezzanine take on what I did with my first custom build. The stepped design was a simple way to get extra height at the back by building two boxes, which connect at the mezzanine in the middle:

What I'd like to try next is a pyramid with multiple, smoother steps. And to extend the shape so that the keyboard has a broader footprint; not dramatically, but enough to give it a real presence.

But you're making me think in a new direction now. The TKL as an island archipelago!

CJNE

19 Feb 2014, 00:56

I love these keyboards (this and Murium's)! I might just need to get some round 5 caps just in case i ever get around to doing one myself...h
So what spacebar length do you use? Honey/sixty and a spacebar look like all one would need right?

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2014, 01:01

Space bar is the ubiquitous 6.25 unit. And my layout does indeed just need one of those and a SIXTY kit.

If you're in the mood, we're already talking about the build of 2014:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/grou ... t7474.html

CJNE

19 Feb 2014, 01:05

Thanks, i'm getting more and more into the mood :) Will read up!

cookie

04 Mar 2014, 16:37

I am speechless... This is so cool and exactely what I am looking for to build!
A Programmable HHKB Layout Keyboard!

Verry verry nice work matt3o!
I absolutely love the PBC, you can see it is handmade and this is what makes it so awesome :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Mar 2014, 18:04

cookie wrote:I am speechless... This is so cool and exactely what I am looking for to build!
A Programmable HHKB Layout Keyboard!

Verry verry nice work matt3o!
I absolutely love the PBC, you can see it is handmade and this is what makes it so awesome :)
thanks cookie! I really love the hacking fox :)

Return to “Workshop”