Help me refining the Midnight set

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2013, 21:07

matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote:The PBT set you're working on is the SA.
DSA
Muirium wrote:This one's too soon to Round 5. Three SA GBs is too much, and would ruin me besides!
yep a lot of SA lately. we had enough.

midnight had to go DCS or DSA.
Whoops, my bad. I knew the PBT set will be DSA (and the reasons why) but my aspirations gave me a Freudian slip! The names are so similar, after all.

I think you'll go DSA on this one too. No row profiles to worry about.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2013, 12:31

It seems Boost on GH started a GB based on my initial midnight layout a month ago without bothering to contact me (no hard feelings, I bet he is acting in good faith). I'm trying to get in touch with him about that. I don't understand why he didn't tell me about it, considering that we know each other personally. He even commented on the IC on GH and still he didn't let me know about his GB...

Muirium
µ

26 Dec 2013, 12:33

How far along is it? Got a link?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2013, 12:35

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50845.0

I asked him if he is interested in joining forces, but I don't want to collide with his GB. Even just this my interest check might damage his group buy and I really don't want that.

Muirium
µ

26 Dec 2013, 12:56

Hmm… grey DCS, optimised for a limited selection and a cheap price.
vs.
If you go DSA, I don't really see any overlap at all. Midnight has become brighter, bolder, comprehensive and spherical.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Dec 2013, 13:03

I contacted Boost, I hope in a quick reply. Eventually I will delay midnight a bit.

passerby

30 Dec 2013, 20:51

I was wondering if I could ask a quick off-topic question? I'm new to the subject of mechanical keyboards and am pondering what keycap colour scheme I like the most, and will try to get a hold of. I noticed that you have made sketches of layouts and was wondering if there is some easy to use application for that? Or how do you guys do that?

scottc

30 Dec 2013, 21:01

passerby wrote:I was wondering if I could ask a quick off-topic question? I'm new to the subject of mechanical keyboards and am pondering what keycap colour scheme I like the most, and will try to get a hold of. I noticed that you have made sketches of layouts and was wondering if there is some easy to use application for that? Or how do you guys do that?
I like to use http://keyboard-layout-editor.com when designing layouts. I don't really focus on colours too much when I'm doing it, however. I think some others use Inkscape, I'm not sure though!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2013, 00:40

I use inkscape for my templates. Very easy to use and more flexible than other tools.

passerby

31 Dec 2013, 15:45

Thanks alot for the suggestions. The keyboard layout editor tool was really easy to use, and I will take a look at Inkscape and see if it's something i could learn to use or if it's just too complicated. With regards to Inkscape, is it perhaps suitable even to make "layouts" of furnitures and even entire rooms? (I figured I'd start thinking about how I would want to have the entire room, ideally.)

scottc

31 Dec 2013, 16:20

passerby wrote:Thanks alot for the suggestions. The keyboard layout editor tool was really easy to use, and I will take a look at Inkscape and see if it's something i could learn to use or if it's just too complicated. With regards to Inkscape, is it perhaps suitable even to make "layouts" of furnitures and even entire rooms? (I figured I'd start thinking about how I would want to have the entire room, ideally.)
I think that Inkscape's power when it comes to designing keyboard layouts is the fact that you can break everything down into a grid of 0.25U*0.25U squares, so I don't see why you couldn't use inkscape for the same thing when designing a room (apart from the same problem of non-rectangular shapes)...

Actually, you could probably even use keyboard-layout-editor.com to plan your room if you wanted!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2013, 16:28

that reminds me that I already started working on a keyboard editor before the keyboard layout editor came out... I even asked for help but nobody cared :P I might take that project back and finish it up. It was pretty nice and it had features the kle doesn't have...

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2013, 16:29

Give it drag and drop abilities so I can rearrange caps with my mouse, and I might just love it to bits! KLE is capable, but not my kind of interface.

scottc

31 Dec 2013, 16:36

Agreed! KLE is nice but drag-and-drop would make it a _lot_ nicer. I'd also be willing to help once my final exams are over in a few weeks.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Dec 2013, 16:42

Muirium wrote:Give it drag and drop abilities so I can rearrange caps with my mouse, and I might just love it to bits! KLE is capable, but not my kind of interface.
not only it has drag and drop, but you can also rotate and resize keys on the fly. Also you can group keys and change properties to the whole group (groups are a bit like layers in photoshop)

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2013, 16:54

Phew! I was trying literally all of those things on KLE before I noticed the textfields and arrow buttons.

scottc

31 Dec 2013, 22:13

Sorry for continuing to drive the thread more off-topic! I was trying out using Inkscape for layouts and I kept running into this hilarious problem:

Damnit, Ctrl, keep still! Turns out I hadn't noticed that the next key was edging slightly over into the space so my design was off by 0.25U! :D

Vierax

01 Jan 2014, 06:27

scottc : Yeah it's pretty annoying :s to avoid this you have to disable the magnetic grid or use arrow keys or also set coordinates manually.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Jan 2014, 09:05

the grid is very useful actually, no need to disable snapping. just zoom in :)

Vierax

01 Jan 2014, 11:37

I didn't mean disabling the grid display, I use it a lot too, only the magnetic grip ;)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 Jan 2014, 12:31

sneak preview of the editing features.

7bit

01 Jan 2014, 12:40

I can see that placing 2 CTRL keys next to each other are not allowed in Inkscape, because it does not make sense.

Please use a different legend (HYPER) instead!

Vierax

01 Jan 2014, 15:44

7bit wrote:I can see that placing 2 CTRL keys next to each other are not allowed in Inkscape, because it does not make sense.

I didn't know that Inkscape use the 7bot runtime environment :o

scottc

01 Jan 2014, 16:05

7bit wrote:I can see that placing 2 CTRL keys next to each other are not allowed in Inkscape, because it does not make sense.

Actually, this was a FUN key, but changing the legends comes after putting it in place! :oops:

When I make my custom keyboard, I'll be sure to buy a Round 6 7-BIT MODE key to use in place of FUN. :mrgreen:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2014, 10:51

So it seems The midnight set will become reality. Please vote for your preferred profile on GH http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52684.0

This is the latest incarnation

Let me know if you spot any problem.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2014, 12:30

Argh! We can only pick one? My vote is for SA & DSA, whichever one works. DCS is the only one I'd dislike. Interesting you even have SA as an option, I thought there were availability reasons you were against it?

Or am I thinking of PBT SA?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2014, 12:55

PBT SA is not really possible. SA is the same as Round 5, so no problem there. Midnight is ABS doubleshot

The only good thing about DCS is that it could be done with Cherry legends.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2014, 14:58

What are the rules for DCS doubleshot legends? How do they differ from the any-font-so-long-as-it's-this-one doubleshot SA?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Jan 2014, 15:07

DCS legends are available in standard SP Wyse and --recently-- in Cherry-like font. I need permission to use the cherry fonts but that shouldn't be a problem. SA are available in the standard SP font only.

Muirium
µ

21 Jan 2014, 15:10

What about doubleshot DSA?

Return to “Workshop”