Keyboard builders for hire?

confounded

30 Jan 2014, 23:31

Hello skilled DTers!

I've been lurking on these boards for a few months. Apologies if this question has come up before (I've had a good search!).

I've managed to convince myself that there's an ideal keyboard layout for me, and it's non standard.

I've also realised that I don't have the cop-on to build a keyboard for myself.

I imagine that all of you are focussed on your latest designs, but are any of you deft enough at knocking out boards that you'd do one for a stranger (for a bit of a fee)?

A Poker II ANSI type layout on Cherry Blues is almost perfect for me. But, with a small ISO L Shift, so that I can move the ZXCVB keys along one to the left, and leave the old B space empty. Oh, and with Return and Caps Lock as Fn keys. And the }], " ', ?/, column removed, making the whole keyboard 1.0 keys narrower. And Return on |\. And a horribly complicated Fn layer. Did I mention backspace on a split space bar? I suppose I could put a tracking ball/nipple in the old B space...

Well, that's the drivel my brain's spurting (I'm sure that I could be talked out of a lot of it!).

Aside that I could do a lot with software and hacking at existing boards, are there any freelance boardsmiths out there who might be interested in a project like this?

Quite anti-hacker-ish in sentiment, I know! I'm just looking at the rapidly accumulating piles of various 'bits' I'm hoarding, and realising that I'm not really going to do anything with them! Exploit me!

scottc

31 Jan 2014, 00:14

Hey confounded. I think that the first thing you need to do is to head on over to http://keyboard-layout-editor.com to hack up a picture of your layout because images are a lot easier to follow than textual descriptions. Sounds like an interesting project though! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 00:26

unfortunately custom built, 1 of a kind keyboards are pretty expensive...

Topre Enthusiast

31 Jan 2014, 00:46

Like the $1000 Alps keyboard on eBay

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2014, 00:59

Wasn't it more like €250 for the ones we built last year? I'd call it doable, if not exactly trivial. Depends ultimately on what you want to do (Scott's right: diagram please!) and what bits you've got / can source. Custom sized caps don't exactly grow on trees. Although we do have one orchard that I'm sure you've heard me write about before, right here:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t6732.html

Obligatory showing off what I made, with plenty of help from Matt and the group last year:
http://deskthority.net/post133887.html#p133887

ماء

31 Jan 2014, 03:50

Right,even, handwired expensive than with PCB. like Plate,Case layer.etc if you can make the design PCB maybe more cheaper. PCB no case/plate no problem :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 09:22

It's close to 200-220 if hand wired, 220-240 on DIY PCB, 280-300 printed PCB. EXCLUDING labor time (and shipping). Time to design the plate on CAD software, time to design the PCB, soldering time, firmware programming...

I don't really know how much a custom keyboard would actually cost if I had to do that for hire.

PS: you really like your keyboard huh, Muirium? :) I'm really glad you made good use of the laser cut GB :)
Last edited by matt3o on 31 Jan 2014, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.

Icarium

31 Jan 2014, 09:29

If you can find something that almost matches you might get by with a bit of drilling and rewiring. Might be reasonably cheap if you want an almost standard layout. As others have suggested, post a picture of your desired layout. :)

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2014, 09:54

matt3o wrote:you really like your keyboard huh, Muirium? :) I'm really glad you made good use of the laser cut GB :)
I get to show off my keyboard while being (potentially) helpful, instant win!

Designing your own layout, programming your own layers, and building it = the perfect recipe for a strong attachment to your new keyboard. It's like building your lightsabre. You grow a beard and start wearing robes…

Incidentally, I'm working on a few ideas for my next build. Four rows, multi stepped case, tiny space bar(s).

mtl

31 Jan 2014, 10:43

Lol.. That makes perfect sense, Muirium. I grew a beard last Sept. and now I know why. :-) Just need to start rocking a robe from Tatooine. FWIW, although the price of the parts are known it's the time investment and labor cost matt3o mentioned that makes up a huge portion of the cost of a custom build. There's also a fair amount of risk involved if things don't come together as expected.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 10:49

mtl wrote:There's also a fair amount of risk involved if things don't come together as expected.
very true. if you make a small mistake in the plate you have to start over again (and +100 euros)

ماء

31 Jan 2014, 10:57

matt30 right,make PCB is diffilcut and exhaust but if just own project not comersial i think cheaper like key64 PCB regular with teensy,but fortunately in my country there 8-) Services PCB maker so cheap,in italy nothing :? best way homemade PCB i think :?: actually,i don't like of handwired is layer cases :lol: i prefer with wood maybe :P

fart_toast

31 Jan 2014, 13:13

matt3o wrote:PS: you really like your keyboard huh, Muirium? :) I'm really glad you made good use of the laser cut GB :)
I also really like that keyboard! Is handwiring a KB really that hard?

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2014, 13:16

You need the right tools, fine solder and a lot of patience. It's fiddly and time consuming, but not really all that hard, once you get some practice. And doing a keyboard ensures you will!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 13:22

just patience :) I built my first keyboard (the steely) with a 9 euros soldering iron.

ps: a fine iron surely helps...

fart_toast

31 Jan 2014, 14:41

I have a decent soldering station and solder/equipment etc. My background is in physics research so tweezers and tools galore :D. Looking at the pics of those two handwired boards posted, my main question is the housing/case. How do you go about that?

I'll have spare switches and caps and ISO poker 2 plate after my ducky tkl and poker 2 60% are fully modded. I'll want to make a 60% with the spares.

Looks like i'll need a controller, some diodes, case....what else?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 14:46

fart_toast

31 Jan 2014, 15:59

matt3o wrote:I suggest you reading this http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brow ... t6050.html
Will do after work, thank you! ;)

collector of junk

31 Jan 2014, 18:38

have a look at my attempt ! to build one also
not as good as the brownfox
plus if you get stuck =just ask

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/a-ba ... t7222.html

Return to “Workshop”