Group Build prototyping phase

ماء

21 Feb 2014, 15:04

Full Mu is same my old idea but i not interested again now :P :lol:
actually similar korean kb,though i've seen from chinese as well in imsto taobao :D
r_DSCF0059qq.jpg
r_DSCF0059qq.jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
selling on GH $7$$$ :x
Last edited by ماء on 21 Feb 2014, 16:42, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 16:24

BimboBB wrote:
pasph wrote:i would love "the full MU" but i don't think there's love for big kbs
thats not true....i love them all. :) "the full MU" remembers me a bit of this WYSE terminal board, which layout i always found to be quite nice (okay....the spacebar/mod sizes are maybe a bit over the top :) )

Thanks! My motivation is to get the home row horizontally centred on the board. I forever shuffle my IBMs around with the numpads hanging over at the right, and even my SSK and TKLs wind up asymmetric: because my hands want to line up with the centre of my screen. Just seems to come naturally to me. My 60% is almost perfect, but I want to bring the same goal to something bigger.

I could definitely add those two keys to my µTKL (or should I call it TenMuLess?) to achieve the wall of caps: a look I really like. That way there's a whole load of programmable keys in a smart rectangular block over there, like your own integrated mini Tipro. (Which reminds me, I'm still half way through my Tipro++ project…) As for F1-F12, do not fear: they are right across the top of the keyboard (Fn+5 = F5, Fn+MINUS = F11 etc. just like an HHKB or my 60%) or indeed on the numpad if you prefer.

I still owe ماء a symmetric design. Perhaps I'll try one with standard (Round 5) caps and fitting it within the same footprint. I've no idea what to do with TrackPoints, though. I think I'd rather have a trackball in the centre…

scottc

21 Feb 2014, 17:54

Muirium wrote:As for F1-F12, do not fear: they are right across the top of the keyboard (Fn+5 = F5, Fn+MINUS = F11 etc. just like an HHKB or my 60%) or indeed on the numpad if you prefer.
I was talking about the lack of a Fn key in the muTKL when talking about F1-F12, it's not there! I assume it's meant to be in the usual HHKB-like spot?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 18:30

I was looking into the screws to hold the layers and I found these

they look pretty nice but they are too short. wondering where we could find some nice screws

rindorbrot

21 Feb 2014, 18:41

Those screws look pretty cool.

There should be longer ones available, as they are for example used to keep two pieces of funiture together.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 18:47

look at these babies

it seems they are called "chicago screws" or "sex bolts"

sean4star

21 Feb 2014, 19:02

Another one for symmetry.

keyboard-layout-editor

Note the 1.5 right shift. I wanted to leave the arrow keys isolated.

mohitgarg

21 Feb 2014, 19:09

Have you looked at the method I use for my acrylic cases for a clean top and bottom?

I use hexagonal standoffs and then use two small flat head screws, one on top and one on bottom. Check the GHPad thread on GH, it has some information on this.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dl ... 8684;image
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=389 ... msg1093656

I've done quite a bit of research for the acrylic cases, finding the right post-screws/sex-bolts can be very hard, and also requires a thicker bevel.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 19:27

mohitgarg wrote:Have you looked at the method I use for my acrylic cases for a clean top and bottom?

I use hexagonal standoffs and then use two small flat head screws, one on top and one on bottom. Check the GHPad thread on GH, it has some information on this.

I've done quite a bit of research for the acrylic cases, finding the right post-screws/sex-bolts can be very hard, and also requires a thicker bevel.
very nice but your hole section is conic. I can't do that on stainless steel. I might be able to do that on aluminum, but not steel

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 19:33

scottc wrote:
Muirium wrote:As for F1-F12, do not fear: they are right across the top of the keyboard (Fn+5 = F5, Fn+MINUS = F11 etc. just like an HHKB or my 60%) or indeed on the numpad if you prefer.
I was talking about the lack of a Fn key in the muTKL when talking about F1-F12, it's not there! I assume it's meant to be in the usual HHKB-like spot?
Well spotted. I'd say you're paying too much attention to the legends, but the fault is mine: that little Fn key shouldn't go missing.

In practice, like on the Model M I'm on just now, I use Caps Lock as my function key habitually when not on my custom. (That's now latching Function Lock!) So sometimes I forget…

pasph

21 Feb 2014, 19:44

matt3o wrote:look at these babies

I like them!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 19:46

pasph wrote:
I like them!
if you can find them of the right height...

sean4star

21 Feb 2014, 19:51

matt3o wrote:
pasph wrote:
I like them!

I think it would be pretty easy to cut them down to size with a dremel. Just get them a tad too long.

mohitgarg

21 Feb 2014, 20:02

matt3o wrote:
mohitgarg wrote:Have you looked at the method I use for my acrylic cases for a clean top and bottom?

very nice but your hole section is conic. I can't do that on stainless steel. I might be able to do that on aluminum, but not steel
Says who? The holes are not counter-sunk, instead they are a shade smaller than the flat-heads, this allows for the flat-heads to just sit in flat. Making counter-sunk holes in acrylic is quite hard.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 20:09

mohitgarg wrote:
matt3o wrote:

Says who? The holes are not counter-sunk, instead they are a shade smaller than the flat-heads, this allows for the flat-heads to just sit in flat. Making counter-sunk holes in acrylic is quite hard.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand.

from this picture http://i.imgur.com/IEsReUM.jpg it seems the holes are counter-sunk. You mean that they are just "stepped"?

mohitgarg

21 Feb 2014, 20:15

The holes are just a little smaller than the the head of the flat head screws, so it sits almost flush (Not entirely), so it cna be cut using a laser.

Eg, for M3 screws, the screw row is 3mm in diameter, the head is 5mm, so the screw holes on top and bottom layer are 4.7mm.

The hex standoff in the middle layer keeps the screws aligned properly. For layers that will not have the standoffs (I generally use 8mm standoffs as they are easiest to find) and are neither the top/bottom layer, the screw holes are the diameter of the screw rod.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Feb 2014, 20:28

okay, so the first layer is held by friction of the screw head?

mohitgarg

21 Feb 2014, 21:01

No, if you see from my example, the head of the screw is 5mm, the hole on the top and bottom layer is 4.7mm, thus .15mm of the screw and layer overlap, which is enough to keep the layers held together.

pasph

21 Feb 2014, 21:28

matt3o wrote:
pasph wrote:
I like them!
What is the right height?

pasph

21 Feb 2014, 21:31

Just for fun

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 22:09

The HyperPasph?

Anyway, here's that wall of Tenkeyless I was talking about. See what I did with the numpad?
TenMuLess.png
TenMuLess.png (126.92 KiB) Viewed 4845 times
The downside: it's not exactly symmetrical. Technically, it's a sliver better than a standard TKL, though. And a ton compared to a traditional full size layout.

pasph

21 Feb 2014, 22:26

Muirium wrote:The HyperPasph?
Sacrilege!
Burn the 7bit infidel!

sean4star

21 Feb 2014, 22:59

Muirium wrote:The HyperPasph?

Anyway, here's that wall of Tenkeyless I was talking about. See what I did with the numpad?
TenMuLess.png
The downside: it's not exactly symmetrical. Technically, it's a sliver better than a standard TKL, though. And a ton compared to a traditional full size layout.

Why not add a block of grey F-keys on the left?

A 3x4 block leaving 3 black keys on the bottom row.

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 23:18

I do in fact have another draft layout exactly like that.

Its disadvantage would be its size. Or advantage, depending on preference. I estimate that it would weigh significantly more than my >1 kg shiny 60%, while remaining comparatively compact.

Rather than function keys, I'd probably put one of these on it:

In fact, here we go: meet the family, all to scale.
The Family Mu.png
The Family Mu.png (609.16 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
(Spot the error? 15,18 and 21 units wide! Silly manual legends.)
Last edited by Muirium on 21 Feb 2014, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

CJNE

21 Feb 2014, 23:31

sean4star wrote: I think it would be pretty easy to cut them down to size with a dremel. Just get them a tad too long.
They are beautiful :) An option could be to only get the "female" parts and have a threaded rod that you cut to appropriate length, if you can't find long enough screws.

CJNE

21 Feb 2014, 23:36

Muirium wrote: In fact, here we go: meet the family, all to scale.
Is there a µ60% ansi sibling? I.e a mix between µ60% ISO and TenMuLess (TenMuMoreLess?)

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 23:44

Of course…
µ60%.png
µ60%.png (109.46 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Which I happen to have on my desk right here!
(Much to Snoopy's frustration, as I show it off every day or two.)

CJNE

21 Feb 2014, 23:50

That's the one! Count me in for at least one of those :)

jdcarpe

21 Feb 2014, 23:57

I was thinking something like this? With a full tenkey on the right...

Muirium
µ

21 Feb 2014, 23:59

jdcarpe wrote:I was thinking something like this? With a full tenkey on the right...

Great minds, eh? I like your Cherry stabs. I've some PCB mount stabs to try out this time, too. And there may even be a few plate mount Cherry stabs available. (Note to self: pester Kbdfr about those.)
CJNE wrote:That's the one! Count me in for at least one of those :)
Sweet! It's a very solid little design. Looks like this from the side:
http://deskthority.net/post133887.html#p133887

Speaking of which: what's the plan for the lower layers of the cases? My 60%'s a stepped design as you can see: thicker at the back than the front. I'm thinking of trying some more of that this time.

Return to “Workshop”