First experiments in CNC

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Aug 2014, 00:09

pyrelink wrote: That is so damn cool. Were you having to manually flip that block of wood over to get it to mill the underside? Amazing how fast it was able to tear through that wood.
the piece of wood lays inside a small pocket in the wood base, so I can just flip it and find the "zero" back

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Aug 2014, 11:10

I love my new wooden cap :D

Sanded and finished

vvp

04 Aug 2014, 11:19

Nice!
How is the stem working? Isn't it too tight or too loose?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Aug 2014, 13:09

vvp wrote: Nice!
How is the stem working? Isn't it too tight or too loose?
stem is perfect :)

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 16:13

Impressive indeed. I like how the legend was carved, the CNC looked to be chipping away at it like a robotic artisan!

The initial wood clearing phase is just because your stock was thicker than optimal, I presume? I could see that process getting very wasteful when doing many caps at once.

Besides wood, what other materials are you thinking of experimenting with? Is brass or aluminium an option, or would that wear out out the cutting bits too quick to be affordable?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Aug 2014, 16:27

the first two scenes in the video are for the bottom of the cap, but yes there's a lot of wasted material. Unfortunately it's not easy to find wood boards in less than 15mm thickness. But the CNC is fast enough, so no big deal.

Aluminum is definitely an option, I though the small bits were more fragile, but they are pretty strong instead. Of course they would wear quicker and that would reflect on pricing.

I would also like to work with jade if I find the right bits.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 16:32

I'm sure marble would raise a few cap collector's eyebrows too!

Kurk

04 Aug 2014, 21:25

I'm sure marble granite would raise a few cap collector's eyebrows too!

Corrected that for you ;)

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 21:59

OMG! Granite in Granite, Granite on Granite, Granite made out of frickin' Granite!

<Deep breath.>

mr_a500

04 Aug 2014, 23:45

Fricken granite.jpg

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Aug 2014, 23:52

you know when you say "hard as granite"... ?

bearcat

05 Aug 2014, 02:04

amazing job! nice!

How'd you do the homing/registration for working both sides? I didn't see anything other than the hold downs...

scottc

05 Aug 2014, 02:11

Muirium wrote: OMG! Granite in Granite, Granite on Granite, Granite made out of frickin' Granite!

<Deep breath.>
Maybe even a granite case?!?

(The word "granite" has stopped making sense to me...)

Eszett

05 Aug 2014, 03:24

The Granite Set is named because of it’s color, the two shades of grey, similar to the color of granite.
Zwischenablage.jpg
Zwischenablage.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 10545 times

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Aug 2014, 09:41

bearcat wrote: amazing job! nice!

How'd you do the homing/registration for working both sides? I didn't see anything other than the hold downs...
there's a pocket/inset in the base to help me find the registration point.

Granite was called granite because it should have been similar to SGI granite color combo, at the end we chose slightly lighter grays but the name did not change.

Aleksander

07 Aug 2014, 23:08

Happy to see you got the CNC up and running, Matteo!

What CAM have you used on the keycap? I have not started playing around with 3D milling yet :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Aug 2014, 23:49

Aleksander wrote: Happy to see you got the CNC up and running, Matteo!

What CAM have you used on the keycap? I have not started playing around with 3D milling yet :P
meshcam, but I don't like it much....

Findecanor

08 Aug 2014, 16:51

The "Granite" key set does not look like SGI Granite at all ...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Aug 2014, 17:18

Findecanor wrote: The "Granite" key set does not look like SGI Granite at all ...
quoting myself:
it should have been similar to SGI granite

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2014, 18:03

The unintended consequences of inviting democracy to the party! We voted. And the light colourway won.

I'm delighted with the scheme we went with. It is the quintessential light monochrome set. Goes well on white boards especially, and of course black. Beige is trickier to match against what you've got. There are many different shades of beige out there. Aaaand cue the shades of grey joke…

I'm sure you'll make the beige set you're looking for someday. But that time you'll need to be the dictator instead. Or who knows where else we'd go!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Aug 2014, 18:57

My next GB will be SA (eventually excluding granite R2)... and... with proper shift profile. just saying...

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2014, 19:01

Doubleshot?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Aug 2014, 19:18

Muirium wrote: Doubleshot?
yes (unfortunately)

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2014, 19:19

Yeah. Great process (the best, ultimately) but limited to ABS and getting new legends cut is too costly to be practical for choosing new fonts.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Aug 2014, 19:31

SP has dozens of legends. If DT sponsors me the trip I've been invited to check their warehouse.

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2014, 20:09

DT party in the SP warehouse!

Anyway, your colour choices will have to be what defines that GB. The font is fixed — same as R4 SPH and Round 5 — right?

Dyesub is where all the real fun is. Really hope SP opens up more cap families to that.

Findecanor

08 Aug 2014, 20:12

matt3o wrote:
it should have been similar to SGI granite
The font is wrong too. :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Aug 2014, 20:13

I'm just glad that the shift keys will be on the right profile :)

Muirium
µ

08 Aug 2014, 20:18

HONEY/REPAIR kits please!

@Findecanor: The "Granite" font may not be authentic, but it is awesome!

I'd say that we changed so much that the name is the error, rather than all the details we altered.

Halvar

08 Aug 2014, 22:48

matt3o wrote: I'm just glad that the shift keys will be on the right profile :)
It's just cruel to say that while Round 5 is still in production! :?

Return to “Workshop”