IBM Model M Screw, Nut and Bolt Mod

Samdoses

23 May 2019, 21:33

Do we have to remove all the springs and membranes or can we screw it from the outside

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 May 2019, 00:03

If you just add screws to broken rivet shaft locations, that is a "screw mod" which is an order of magnitude easier.

Many people prefer this, including pseudo-professional refurbishers, but personally I want to take it completely apart so that I can clean all the parts including the membrane sandwich layers.

Samdoses

26 May 2019, 14:00

Is there a way to screw mod it without taking apart the barrel plate by just drilling the back and screwing it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 May 2019, 15:59

That is exactly what it is. The term should probably be "screw repair" because you are not modifying anything.

Samdoses

26 May 2019, 16:02

I meant to say if we could half screw mod it

ebonarm

24 Jul 2020, 09:45

Hi all, I have done the bolt mod and everything went fine (tip: Aliexpress for bolts, washers and nuts amounted to around 10€)

Anyway, my question is, that now I have the following problem: the key 's' sometimes keeps registering as pressed even though the buckling spring returns the keycap. So bassically the mechanical part works just as intended but the key keeps registering.
Example, I press it once and it continues to print infinitely, or until I press it again.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Jesseg

24 Jul 2020, 09:50

ebonarm wrote:
Hi all, I have done the bolt mod and everything went fine (tip: Aliexpress for bolts, washers and nuts amounted to around 10€)

Anyway, my question is, that now I have the following problem: the key 's' sometimes keeps registering as pressed even though the buckling spring returns the keycap. So bassically the mechanical part works just as intended but the key keeps registering.
Example, I press it once and it continues to print infinitely, or until I press it again.

I had a similar problem after I bolt modded my M122. I was able to fix it by taking it all apart again ( I know, annoying) and just lightly cleaning and re-adjusting/positioning the membranes a little, this seemed to work in my case.

ebonarm

24 Jul 2020, 09:52

Jesseg wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:50
ebonarm wrote:

I had a similar problem after I bolt modded my M122. I was able to fix it by taking it all apart again ( I know, annoying) and just lightly cleaning and re-adjusting/positioning the membranes a little, this seemed to work in my case.
Ok, thank you for the tip, I guess It is inevitable. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to open it up again anytime soon :D
What did you use to clean the membrane? Did you clean it?

Jesseg

24 Jul 2020, 09:56

I think I literally just used a lens wipe, just anything that won't leave any dust, mine was pretty clean anyway so I'm not sure it even did anything but it stopped playing up after that so go figure.. haha

ebonarm

24 Jul 2020, 09:57

Jesseg wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 09:56
I think I literally just used a lens wipe, just anything that won't leave any dust, mine was pretty clean anyway so I'm not sure it even did anything but it stopped playing up after that so go figure.. haha
Thanks man, I will try it again today !

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Jul 2020, 14:47

As I often say, overtightening can be a problem.

Remember that you are replacing compliant plastic rods with steel screws, so all you need to do is keep everything in place and keep the plates the same distance apart. There is no need to put the plates into compression by cranking down hard on the screws, and, even worse, inconsistent tightening.

In my opinion, "barely finger tight" is plenty.

Return to “Workshop”