System build out of frustration

Linkert

07 Dec 2014, 15:47

*(Does full system builds fit under ‘Workshop’ as well?)*
*(Yanked straight outta markdown file)*

# System made for me.

I’m an anal kind of guy. Things, objects of design, tools rarely satisfy me. Pretty much nothing is purpose driven enough. Too many curves, too many features, planned obsolescence and so on. Most things makes me irritated, ‘urks’ me.

Currently my computing experience is the main provider of irritation. Using a MB Air. It’s a lovely machine, don’t get me wrong. Having been a mac-user since apr 2009, I’m not happy with the direction of OS X. It’s growing cuter, gaining more features and fluff each year and I can’t stand it anymore. It’s distracting. It gives off a strange feeling of ‘unpurity’ and a sense of not having control.

Having recently discovered the wonderful world of mechanical keyboards I’m thinking I might as well do a complete overhaul of my computing experience. Build a system made for me and my needs and only that, no fluff.

Here are some of the loose ideas I’ve been thinking about.

## Software

* Ubuntu ‘minimal CD’, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD
* i3 or dwm.
* vim.
* dwb, surf or luakit, not sure.
* mutt.

## (privacy)

I got no clue about privacy and security on a linux system. As of now these are a couple of thoughts:

* Encrypted storage.
* Mod/add similar privacy features found on Epic Privacy Browser to which ever browser I end up with, https://www.epicbrowser.com

Pointers concerning privacy and security on linux appreciated :)

## Hardware

For a while I was tempted to go for a Surface Pro and build it into a custom laptop case (amateur carpenter) with my Poker II. It could turn out really sleek. But it’s not modular enough, should any component break down.

Portable would be nice but any regular laptop/ultra/note/chromebook/whatevertop is excluded due to built in keyboard.

Until any ‘modular portable sans-keyboard machine’ shows up, I’m going for a stationary desktop build. Small/compact form factor, same applies to specs. Only enough for writing, email, rss, surf and video/audio streaming.

As for the case, I’ll build it, portable or not.

Since I switched to mac back in ’09 I’ve really been out of the loop when it comes to hardware. Any help and thoughts around hardware for this build is appreciated!

Something like this:

* 2-4 GB RAM
* ~40 GB SSD
* Small form factor motherboard.
* CPU, energy efficient, something.. Atom?
* Non-integrated graphics. Enough to handle the occasional 1080p video.
* WiFi.

## Input
* Poker II, SvDvorak layout. Almost two weeks on SvDvorak, not an efficient typer yet :)
* Avoid mouse at all costs.

===

Thoughts? :)

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Dec 2014, 15:56

Just my 2 cents (couple of points):

- for good Linux control - try Arch Linux: read some docs first, then install it - it allows you to steer in any possible direction, as you have to do each step on your own. But everything is documented, and you have a lot of alternative routes to take (e.g. what to use to configure the network, the window manager etc.). Moreover, if you configure it properly, you can then rebuild and reinstall the essential packages (kernel, video driver) with your CPU flags (-march=native) for maximum speed without much hassle.
- for security: just be sure to close all ports / network services (perhaps except ssh if you intend to log from another computer and you leave your computer opened) and keep your system updated (with Arch, as it is a rolling distribution, you need no reinstall, ever)
- i tried for a while minimalist window managers (spectrwm is a very very nice-and-easy alternative). But in the end, an XFCE environment has (for me) the right balance between being lightweight and still very easy to use and very configurable, when in a hurry. With a Solaris/CDE scheme, it also looks quite nice.

Keep things simple ;)

andrewjoy

07 Dec 2014, 16:06

lazer beat me to it if you are going for i3 or DWM go for arch , there is more fine grain control over what gets installed and it will theretofore be simpler to secure.

if you are going to built it into an integrated case i would go for thin ITX form factor intel do a very nice board in house its EOL now but its an amzing board, i use it in my router using heavy customised BSD ( pFsence) and it works wonders

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Mot ... B00840BACU

something like a low powered i3 or i5 would work wonders in that system , i would not go for an i7 in that baord tho , you can do it but its not the best idea :)

it supports a ssd right on the board so you have no need for external sata drive and there is also a slot on it for a wifi module so you can chose something that works well with linux ( stick with intel , stay away from broadcom)

if you dont mind buying a case i use this with mine http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl= ... K-ITX05-BK the whole case is a passive cooler and it works well does not get hot at all

EDIT

oh and also it has a LVDS connector on the baord for directly connecting an LCD so you could build a LCD right into your case with no need for a messy controller board for it it supports the 3.3 and 5v panels as well

( why did Intel stop making this amazing thing again ?)
Last edited by andrewjoy on 07 Dec 2014, 16:10, edited 2 times in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Dec 2014, 16:07

if you have such low specs requirement... take a LIVA and put ubuntu (or better arch linux) on it. I have a review sample, if you want I can sell.

If you need more horse power we can evaluate some mini-itx build.

macmakkara

10 Dec 2014, 14:51

For itx i would go pentium aniversity edition or i3. i3 has integratet gpu with enough power to run 1080p video @60fps

Otherwise gtx 750 low profile GPU. Because Maxwell.

Findecanor

10 Dec 2014, 20:02

* All modern Linux distributions should offer you to get at least encrypted home directories - just check it when you install and it will be done automatically.
* You could install a web proxy to filter your web traffic to protect your privacy.. that is a large ever-changing field and there are several proxies out there. All major browsers support proxies, but you would need to manually configure each browser to use it.
* There are shops that sell motherboard trays, port backplates and other parts for building and modding PC cases. They should make things much easier. There are lots of home-built small cases in the hardware forums that you could draw inspiration from.
* 4 GB is considered entry-level for a new computer these days, and new SSD start at 128 GB. ;)
* These days, Mini-ITX motherboards are just as capable as larger motherboards except for the number of PCIe slots, memory slots and size of CPU cooler. Far gone is the day when you needed to use an Atom or a Via chip to get a small(er) PC. There are also smaller NUCs but they are not upgradeable...
* Atoms are only for netbooks and tablets these days, unless you want a completely fanless desktop.
I would use an Intel Core i3 4th gen (4th gen also called Haswell). The integrated GPU should handle 1080p video, no problem.
Check the CPU's spec for how much heat it creates, to find how large heat sink you need and therefore how big to make your case. I think the biggest hurdle in the planning is that there are so many options...

Daniel

10 Dec 2014, 22:12

Findecanor wrote: * All modern Linux distributions should offer you to get at least encrypted home directories - just check it when you install and it will be done automatically.
Make sure to use LUKS / dmcrypt instead of ecryptfs (default in Ubuntu if you check home folder encryption during installation). Ecryptfs has some limitations regarding filename length which will bite you long after you've setup your system.

Linkert

12 Dec 2014, 06:51

Much love folks! Will go for Mini-ITX board and i3 cpu. Still leaning towards Ubuntu minimal cd install, at least to start with.

andrewjoy

12 Dec 2014, 10:55

cool ! have fun with the build and post pictures !

Linkert

12 Dec 2014, 19:16

andrewjoy wrote: cool ! have fun with the build and post pictures !
Probably not going to start the build before spring. Got a couple of things queued up before this ;) Will post it pictures when I get to it.

Linkert

02 Jan 2015, 12:18

Massdrop delay, rainy day..

Keyboard abstinence deluxe! KBC Poker II (mx blue, non backlit, proper pbt fugly legends) Compact Keyboard purchased - nov 22nd, 1st estimated shipping date - dec 31st, 2nd estimated shipping date - jan 15th. Not here to bash massdrop, there probably doing all they can. Some logistics/preparation aspect miscalculated.

Still, the wait is killing me. Got my long awaited dedicated linux machine that's just screaming for a Dvorak ascii layout. Trying to figure things out, like a proper workflow and such. So far I'm loving the world of 'one thing well'.

Got my self a Lenovo u330p which eventually will be transformed into the form factor i desire. Decided to go with ubuntu minimal cd, it's the most familiar to me. I do see the point of arch for a minimal type install but I figure it's best to get some learning time with the command line.

So far I've put these together:

Code: Select all

xorg dwm st surf tabbed xcmenu xclip vim vifm dvorak7min dropbox wget build-essential feh shotwell scrot mupdf
(probably more bits and things)

Suckless write sexy pieces of software but with rather vague documentation for someone new like me. I'm trying to figure out how to patch a fresh git clone of either 'surf, dwm, st' with the .diff file patches found over at their website. I tried understanding the manpage on 'diff', still no clue :P

So I got the whole day to mess about with my lenovo u330p. Suggestions? Recommendations?

scottc

02 Jan 2015, 13:37

Linkert wrote: Massdrop delay, rainy day..

Keyboard abstinence deluxe! KBC Poker II (mx blue, non backlit, proper pbt fugly legends) Compact Keyboard purchased - nov 22nd, 1st estimated shipping date - dec 31st, 2nd estimated shipping date - jan 15th. Not here to bash massdrop, there probably doing all they can.
I wouldn't rely on that...

As for suckless, I definitely agree. I personally use i3wm (ubuntu package is i3) which is quite similar to dwm but (in my opinion) a bit more user-friendly and easier to configure. More heavyweight, but probably not noticeably so. I'd recommend trying that out!

andrewjoy

02 Jan 2015, 16:26

i3 is amazing

suckless stuff is good , i just wish there documentation sucked less

Linkert

03 Jan 2015, 14:24

Blindness ;)

Code: Select all

git apply ~/path/to-patch.diff
http://dwm.suckless.org/patches/

I'm kind of getting it :) Using monocle-view with 'tab'-patch, really sleek! Tried getting bookmarks for surf to work but had some issues. also something seem to have happened to 'st'. I must have entered some kind of keycombination because all of a sudden the st terminal typography got a bit smaller and feels fuzzier. The config.h is the default one that I was happy with. I have recomplied and messed with the font size in the config without results. I think it has to do with root, non-root, su and all that. Maybe recovery mode type deal? Lost on this one.. :P

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

edit: lfm on st vs. xterm:
Spoiler:

(recompiled st without config.h file and it now works as it should :) )

Messed about with i3, awesome and xmonad last night but just felt more comfortable with dwm at the end of it. (figuring out patches helped)

Return to “Workshop”