Cherry announces new mechanical switch: MX RGB Nature White

Zaphir

10 Nov 2015, 15:27

Mais uma novidade da nossa cereja preferida.

"November 10th, 2015 at 12:12 pm - Author Jon Martindale

Cherry MX switches are often seen as the gold standard for mechanical keyboards and have been for upwards of 30 years. However due to limited production capacities, some keyboard makers have started to go elsewhere or design their own switches, so Cherry is starting to innovate. Its new switch design is called the MX RGB Nature White and it features a new actuation force and the transparent casing that has become common place with some manufacturers.

Indeed addressing the illumination issue posed by Cherry MX switches seems to have been the main point of the new switch, which has a clear surround-casing as standard. Traditional MX switches have had black plastic casings, which caused problems illuminating the entire key cap as backlighting LEDs are mounted off-centre. Clear casings have been added by some manufacturers to keyboards like the Corsair K70 and the GSkill KM780 in the past, so it only makes sense that Cherry would do something official with that design.

There is also talk of a built in lens to improve light scattering throughout the switch, which should further aid illumination issues on keycaps with multiple indicators.

To help make the switch stand out a little more among its predecessors too, the actuation force for the RGB Nature White’s is 55 cN, which puts it in the middle of the 45 cN Cherry MX Reds and the 60 cN Cherry MX blacks.

Ducky has been announced as an official launch partner of Cherry’s, so expect the first RGB Nature White switches to show up in the Ducky Shine-5.

Discuss on our Facebook page, HERE.

KitGuru Says: I don’t know if this needed a whole new switch. I would rather see Cherry add clear surrounds to all of its existing switches or better yet, figure out a way to place the LED centrally, as clear surrounds only go part way to solving the backlighting coverage problem."

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/keyb ... ure-white/

O que acham disto malta? :)
55cN de força de actuação parece-me bem.

Não sei se será o que o mercado procura... mas oh well, pelo menos sabemos que a Cherry tem andado ocupada e volta e meia ainda vai lançando algo de novo. Primeiro os Cherry MX Silent (nos Corsair Strafe RGB) e agora estes.

Plz discuss.

lolpes

10 Nov 2015, 17:39

Oh look another linear, Prelim quem andas a subornar na cherry?

Prelim

10 Nov 2015, 19:07

OMG, um Cherry gateron!! lol
To help make the switch stand out a little more among its predecessors too, the actuation force for the RGB Nature White’s is 55 cN, which puts it in the middle of the 45 cN Cherry MX Reds and the 60 cN Cherry MX blacks.
humm acho q o meu switch favorito vem a caminho ;) fiquei é sem perceber se este switch é já da serie "Silent" ou não :/

miguelbazil

10 Nov 2015, 19:48

Bem, tinhamos 3 tácteis e 2 lineares... Agora era interessante ver a Cherry converter um dos tácteis numa versão transparente, se calhar.

lolpes

10 Nov 2015, 19:56

Tinhas bem mais do que isso xD
tactile/click
- grey, white, clear, blue, green, brown

linear
- red, black, grey, silent, rbg red, e agora este

rddm

10 Nov 2015, 20:26

Será que dá para trocar o slider dos os rgb red ,que nem são caros (0,45€ no tmall), por uns classic como blue, clear ?

Prelim

10 Nov 2015, 20:39

rddm wrote: Será que dá para trocar o slider dos os rgb red ,que nem são caros (0,45€ no tmall), por uns classic como blue, clear ?
sure!

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

10 Nov 2015, 22:59

Gostava de experimentar! Parece ser uma boa desculpa para fazer um custom. O Leandren está quase a fazer uma GB com PCB e plates, quem sabe :P

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2015, 23:06

Well, I don't speak Portuguese, but I'm pretty good at bullshit. And this guy talks my native tongue…
Jon Martindale wrote: Cherry MX switches are often seen as the gold standard for mechanical keyboards and have been for upwards of 30 years.
Not as good as buckling spring.
Not as good as Alps.
Not as good as a lot of the more obscure switches out there back in the day, either.

But I guess they're still available, so that's something.

Still not as good as Topre.

Anyway, a middle weight (Alps weight!) MX switch is several decades overdue. So good job on that. Now if only they came in smooth…

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

10 Nov 2015, 23:10

You don't speak portuguese, yet!

Prelim

10 Nov 2015, 23:13

true enough, but...

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2015, 23:20

I don't hate MX. I hate bullshit! There's a subtle difference. Follow your nose!

MX is okay. Cherry did a good job adapting it to clicky and tactile versions in a couple of weights. Then they sat on it for a long, long time. While China woke up and started cloning them, first badly, but now better than Cherry itself. So now they have a fight on their hands. Which means actual new stuff on a regular basis.

Still far from the gold standard though. (Correct answer: Topre today, and IBM back in the 80s.)

Eszett

10 Nov 2015, 23:31

Innovation? It's copying what already exists. Pretty lame, and probably it will be overpriced too. And I agree to what Muirium says.
Last edited by Eszett on 10 Nov 2015, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

lolpes

10 Nov 2015, 23:34

Muirium wrote: I don't hate MX. I hate bullshit! There's a subtle difference. Follow your nose!

MX is okay. Cherry did a good job adapting it to clicky and tactile versions in a couple of weights. Then they sat on it for a long, long time. While China woke up and started cloning them, first badly, but now better than Cherry itself. So now they have a fight on their hands. Which means actual new stuff on a regular basis.

Still far from the gold standard though. (Correct answer: Topre today, and IBM back in the 80s.)
I have to say yes, or I might get coal...
Topre = meh :D...imo

lolpes

10 Nov 2015, 23:36

Eszett wrote: Innovation? It's copying what already exists. Pretty lame, and probably it will be overpriced too. And I agree to what Muirium says.
I agree with the overpriced part and also innovation part xD but i still like cherry switches :) But for overpriced the zealios fit much better the term altough these will still cost to much also...

Prelim

10 Nov 2015, 23:45

there's indeed many switches out there and I also believe that some ALPS, Hall-Effect, Space Invaders etc can be a more pleasant experience.

I think Cherry MX is still a winner nowadays due to the fact of their switch simplicity (german engineering) and durability among the others. I cannot agree when you say clones are now better than Cherry.... even Gaterons (I have the black ones) are by far worst than Cherry, with the exception of their very smooth sliders (but they wobble more and they even have the fucking STEM PROBLEM with Cherry/GMK/other thicker caps, which is outrageous!).

You've mention a good point, I always felt the same about Cherry: their LACK OF INNOVATION! They indeed have been resting since the 80's and don't have balls to redesign a housing etc or make a complete new switch...it makes me sick to see the hype around the launching of their RGB switches and now the Silent series, which only have tiny differences from the original design. Also I've always point the MAJOR problem of Cherry: not being able to launch a TKL "gaming" keyboard (I've said it to Robin, in the official site, facebook, etc)... I bet they would sell more than other brands, but seems like they don't want to make money and keep producing the shitty full size keyboards and low profile caps no one wants :(

Ohh the Topre scene... honestly, I'm a bit tired of the statement TOPRE is better than MX lol... for all the folks that went Topre (HHKB etc) they always quit after some time and return to MX! Why is that?! :P (and yes, I've to repeat the mech joke... "bah, topre is membrane folks!" :P)
Last edited by Prelim on 10 Nov 2015, 23:55, edited 2 times in total.

lolpes

10 Nov 2015, 23:50

Prelim wrote: there's indeed many switches out there and I also believe that some ALPS, Hall-Effect, Space Invaders etc can be a more pleasant experience.

I think Cherry MX is still a winner nowadays due to the fact of their switch simplicity (german engineering) and durability among the others. I cannot agree when you say clones are now better than Cherry.... even Gaterons (I have the black ones) are by far worst than Cherry, with the exception of their very smooth sliders (but they wobble more and they even have the fucking STEM PROBLEM with Cherry/GMK/other thicker caps, which is outrageous!).

You've mention a good point, I always felt the same about Cherry: their LACK OF INNOVATION! They indeed have been resting since the 80's and don't have balls the redesign a housing etc or make a complete new switch...it makes me sick to see the hype around the launching of their RGB switches and now the Silent series, which only have tiny differences from the original design. Also I've always point the MAJOR problem of Cherry: not being able to launch a TKL "gaming" keyboard (I've said it to Robin, in the official site, facebook, etc)... I bet they would sell more than other brands, but seems like they don't want to make money and keep producing the shitty full size keyboards that nobody wants :(

Ohh the Topre scene... honestly, I'm a bit tired of the statement TOPRE is better than MX lol... for all the folks that went Topre (HHKB etc) they always quit after some time and return to MX! Why is that?! :P (and yes, I've to repeat the mech joke... "bah, topre is membrane folks!" :P)
**Grabs popcorns**

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2015, 00:18

For what it's worth, I've used a lot of MX, and even built a couple of custom boards. But they're completely out of my rotation these days, and have been for a long time. If it weren't for the NovaTouch, I'd be selling all my MX caps. I could use all that dough back!

For me, there's no one switch that's permanently the best forever. I like to mix things up. But I've plenty of variety in my boards now without needing to touch Cherry. I'm heavy into IBM Model F, Model M (thanks entirely to the SSK), and even beamspring. And I'm never far from my Realforce and HHKB. In fact, I'm getting back into Alps a bit now too. Even investigating a custom for these blues…
Spoiler:
Not MX!
I started out the wrong way to ever fall in love with MX. My first mech was my IBM XT. Model F is so far out of MX's reach, I couldn't be converted.

rddm

11 Nov 2015, 01:49

Spikebolt wrote: Gostava de experimentar! Parece ser uma boa desculpa para fazer um custom. O Leandren está quase a fazer uma GB com PCB e plates, quem sabe :P
Também vai vender gateron blues a 0,24$ cada. Pelo que eu experimentei no switch tester achei bem mais suaves e gostei mais do click, até achei mais uniforme.

lolpes

11 Nov 2015, 14:11

Se quiseres experimentar gateron blues, é os que estão no meu 60%, quando fizermos os meeting eu levo ;)

shreebles
Finally 60%

11 Nov 2015, 15:36

Agree with prelim 100% - Gateron NOT better than Cherry!

The only Alps I tried were old black SKCM and those were pretty terribad.

I like Buckling Spring but on an M they are too heavy. As long as I can't afford an F, Cherry will be the way to go for me.

EDIT: Got the names mixed up. prelim, not lolpes. Yes I agree with prelim but only 99%. I don't think that everyone who went full Topre will come back.

Topre is in my eyes too expensive to justify the "good" feel. Cherry also feel good to me and are much cheaper, and fun to mod.
Last edited by shreebles on 11 Nov 2015, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Nov 2015, 15:53

shreebles wrote: Agree with lolpes 100% - Gateron NOT better than Cherry!

The only Alps I tried were old black SKCM and those were pretty terribad.

I like Buckling Spring but on an M they are too heavy. As long as I can't afford an F, Cherry will be the way to go for me.

Topre is in my eyes too expensive to justify the "good" feel. Cherry also feel good to me and are much cheaper, and fun to mod.

If you get a chance you should try other Alps SKCL/SKCM, and yes old dirty Alps can feel lousy. I'd like to try green Cherry MX. I never can find any. :( You might also like NMB Hi-Tek Space Invaders, only problem being they quite rare.

On topic: "MX RGB Nature White" is a stupid name IMO. :?

shreebles
Finally 60%

11 Nov 2015, 16:03

seebart wrote:
If you get a chance you should try other Alps SKCL/SKCM, and yes old dirty Alps can feel lousy. I'd like to try green Cherry MX. I never can find any. :( You might also like NMB Hi-Tek Space Invaders, only problem being they quite rare.
Thank you, I really would like to try a few other Alps, at least I will get to try the Matias switches since I'm in the Ergo tour.
Hope that's reasonably close to "real" Alps?

I was quite disappointed by Cherry Greens. The tactility doesn't improve with more weight, they only are what it says on the tin ("heavier blues"). Might as well go with full buckling spring now that I have an SSK.
By the way, they should be fairly easy to build, you just need Blues and Black springs, why don't you try it yourself?

Space Invaders look really tempting after reading µ's review, but I really don't want to get into such "exotic" switches too much, as I cannot stand full-size boards and would have to build smaller boards for those myself.

seebart

11 Nov 2015, 16:14

shreebles wrote: Thank you, I really would like to try a few other Alps, at least I will get to try the Matias switches since I'm in the Ergo tour. Hope that's reasonably close to "real" Alps?
Yes the Matias switch in the Ergo Pro is similair to Alps in feel. I do have MX Blues here so I guess I could mod them.

Muirium
µ

11 Nov 2015, 16:22

Hmm. The Ergo Pro feels like late, "simplified" Alps. (Which is no surprise. Matias based his design on those.) Simplifed Alps were a cost cutting job on the original. They lack much of "complicated" Alps charm. They're too choppy. Much like clicky/tactile MX in fact. But with an extra wobble on top.

Go for authentic Alps. There's a lot of them out there.

seebart

11 Nov 2015, 16:26

Quite a bit of "wobble" on those Matias, that is my main dislike, but that's another thread.

bitslasher

18 Nov 2015, 03:58

Muirium wrote: I don't hate MX. I hate bullshit! There's a subtle difference. Follow your nose!

I agree with your sentiment, however I'm not so sure I agree with your usage of timelines. :) Topre and buckling spring were both around in the 80's as well as today. Why would one be better than the other, between decades?

IMHO, I've yet to find anything that beats the buckling spring design when it comes to the synchronization of tackle feedback and registering a key press. The every switch I've tried, including the Topre, doesn't seem to get this quite right. The Model M's actuation force, feedback, and key press register are all aligned on one single event, the bucking of that spring. To me it results in much less effort needed to type. As soon as you feel feedback you can stop pressing the key. Given the sad state that Unicomp is in now, wonder if the Chinese would do with buckling spring what they did with Cherry, clone it and improve on it?

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2015, 09:50

You answered your question: Buckling Spring today is a shadow of its former self. Part Unicomp, and part the migration from Model F to cheapo Model M.

The Chinese could clone it of course. If they saw money in it. I doubt they will. MX is the sweet spot for buzz and compatibility. While Topre is clearly a prestige, premium rival. What has buckling spring today in comparison? The boards are cheap, gamers don't like or even know about them, the caps are incompatible and even if some company did take a risk in it: vintage boards are great. There's definitely ways in, however. An updated SSK. Revived Model F. An MX cap compatible reimagining of buckling spring. All so complex, expensive and so risky compared to simply cloning what is already popular. They're in it for money, not love.

shreebles
Finally 60%

18 Nov 2015, 12:04

Well, "gamers don't love 'em" is a result of your first point - since membranes have no real KRO capabilities, they are not useful for fast-paced games. If all buckling spring keyboards were F, they could have NKRO with the proper controllers, and make a lot more sense in games.

You'd be surprised how many gamers like a clicky switch. They have little experience with mechanicals but like it because "clicky clicky!". It is the most drastic way to show them a change from their old membrane keyboards. If you showed them a Brown switch most of them would not see the advantage of mechanicals. I would never recommend a clicky switch for gaming due to the hysteresis. Then again, I have not tried an F in a game, and it might even work well with the lower actuation force compared to M.
Either way clicky is certainly usable in games and better than rubber dome.

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2015, 12:12

I completed Sniper Elite V2 using an XT, so it's definitely possible! I did it on hard. And I upped the difficulty even further by using my Magic Mouse! Chording on the keyboard because your mouse can't… that's NKRO put to good use.

There's something endlessly grin-provoking about sneaking around right behind a bunch of soldiers, ssh silent!, on such a loud keyboard. You sound like a bloody machine gun every move you make.

Return to “Português”