Filco 60% announced!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

07 Feb 2013, 18:51

I actually like it alot

sordna

07 Feb 2013, 19:33

ne0phyte wrote:I'd use it with blank keycaps so the profile isn't that much of a problem for me.
It would definitely be better than any 60% board in existence :P

EDIT: Changed FN to Alt (AltGr) and Apps to FN
Maybe like this?
Close, but make the top left key be an Escape instead of a tilde, put the tilde where insert is, and put the insert where the PrintScreen is. The PrintScreen should be in the Fn layer; it's used much less often than Escape, Tilde.
Anyway, all this doesn't matter, if the keyboard is presumably programmable.
The physical buttons are perfect like they are in that picture, as long as the user can program the regular and FN layer!
BTW with 71 keys in there, I would call this a 65% or 70% keyboard.
Last edited by sordna on 07 Feb 2013, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

sordna

07 Feb 2013, 20:07

BTW how about a slightly shorter keyboard than what you suggested (at the expense of using some nonstandard keycaps), sort of like this:
65% keyboard
65% keyboard
kb65.png (88.8 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
The right control could be made bigger and Fn could be made smaller of course... or an additional Fn could be added on the left hand side.

ne0phyte
Toast.

07 Feb 2013, 20:19

sordna wrote:BTW how about a slightly shorter keyboard than what you suggested (at the expense of using some nonstandard keycaps), sort of like this:
kb65.png
The right control could be made bigger and Fn could be made smaller of course... or an additional Fn could be added on the left hand side.
I think that is not really worth it. With the 2 extra rows its still standard keycaps, blank 1.00 row 1-4 are readily available whereas smaller shift, enter and backspace caps are not.
I would rather stay as close as possible to the normal layout and just add some keys than squeeze the modifiers.

.. then again I'm not able to design a PCB, mount plate or case anyway so its just an idea :D

Findecanor

07 Feb 2013, 20:29

Finding the 1.5 wide Backspace key would be a problem. Neither WASD or Signature Plastic has it. Maybe GMK... Well, unless you would go for all flat keys.

On my modified Compaq G80-11800, I made a similar cluster above the arrow keys, but I put the Delete key where the ~ key is. I used that keyboard at work for one and a half years. Having the Delete key in the arrow cluster is too far away, I think. I also think that my hands are too used to finding space above/around the arrow keys, but maybe having space only to the right of → might be enough.

Grond

07 Feb 2013, 21:02

It's good to see a 60% Filco, but I don't really like the case. I think it's a stepback from the minimal Majestouch design. I would consider a bluetooth version thou.

EDIT: hey there's crazy stuff on that facebook page! Marble wristrests! And what's that, a fake carbon fiber case? :shock:

pasph

08 Feb 2013, 00:59

ne0phyte wrote:I'd use it with blank keycaps so the profile isn't that much of a problem for me.

Maybe like this?
This!

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Feb 2013, 01:43

fossala wrote:I think the board is ugly though, the top of the case is horrible.
I agree. Asymmetrical and ugly leds. If they wanted leds, they should have been in the keys.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Feb 2013, 02:58

I love all these custom designs people are presenting in this thread, but I still would love to see more 65%/70%/whatever% keyboards that put the PageUp/PageDown/Home/End in the function layer of the arrow keys. Both a space saver and logical.

Jim66

10 Feb 2013, 19:38

Backspace and right shift ruins the ANSI layout for me :(.

guilleguillaume

22 Feb 2013, 15:30

The Keyboard Company: Filco MiniLa First Impressions

Ekaros

22 Feb 2013, 16:28

Hmm I think I have to buy one of those...

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Feb 2013, 01:11

Hm, I think it should have three layers: RFn = layer 2 (front printed), LFn = embedded number pad on layer 3. I just find the number pad a superior arrangement.

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Feb 2013, 03:13

This keyboard has three big fails:

1. Asymmetrical case design. One of the things which make the Filco Tenkeyless so famous was the lean, basic lines and looks. This keyboard has none of that.

2. Cowardly 60% wants to be a tenkeyless and include cursor keys and stuff to aim at the masses - bottom two rows are a mess

... resulting among others in the number 1 fail.

3. Fucks with the staggering to make their keys fit. The left shift is 0.25 units shorter and this moves the entire row 0.25 units to the left. Game over alone on this premise. This makes it an evil keyboard which will mess with your mind. A keyboard should be designed with either no staggering (for the brave) or the standard staggering, but what it shouldn't do is take the standard one and then move one row a bit to make some layout fit. 60% is for touch typing ffs. This is a serious design flaw.

Acanthophis

23 Feb 2013, 05:13

I didn't noticed the wrong staggering until now. I also agree with you on fail 2.
Design is a matter of taste, though. I find it neither good nor bad.
But I definitely find this is not a keyboard for me

sordna

23 Feb 2013, 05:45

HHKB JP also has non-standand staggering... wow it's identical!

I don't mind the different staggering by the way, the standard staggering is pretty ridiculous, and this one is actually a slight improvement!

Ekaros

23 Feb 2013, 05:47

Yeah, 1 key lshift isn't very desirable. I have made my own desing. Bottom row generaly is a mess if you want to add FN layers and keep the usual... HyperMini is upcoming ;D

webwit
Wild Duck

23 Feb 2013, 12:29

sordna wrote:I don't mind the different staggering by the way, the standard staggering is pretty ridiculous, and this one is actually a slight improvement!
They didn't improve it, just introduced another random stagger, to make the keys fit. So lame. Like I said, you either get rid of staggering or use the default one. If you just move one row, you mess with muscle memory. This stuff can only be designed by product designers who draw this stuff on screen and who are absolutely incompetent when it comes to the layout. The original HHKB was very, very well researched, this Filco and the Japanese HHKB however just come from the minds of marketeers and implemented by people who don't care at all. Random ass meh design.

tlt

23 Feb 2013, 23:58

sordna wrote:HHKB JP also has non-standand staggering... wow it's identical!

I don't mind the different staggering by the way, the standard staggering is pretty ridiculous, and this one is actually a slight improvement!
Yes I agree. I don't have a problem with this staggering and think it's a small improvement but I'm a not a very accurate touch typist, maybe it's a problem for more skilled typists. The only good thing with the standard staggering is that it is standard.

Parabellum

03 Mar 2013, 17:55

haha wow that is such an ugly keyboard

filco what have you done

Elrick

04 Mar 2013, 11:52

Ekaros wrote:Hmm I think I have to buy one of those...
I'm in complete agreement with you there.

The layout is workable and it can be even considered a suitable daily driver. I love it when 60% comes to the BIG players.

I'm now waiting for Logitech to release a 60% Cherry layout.

sordna

05 Mar 2013, 03:55

Acanthophis wrote:No, just no!
I can't do Umlauts and ß without right Alt (AltGr).
But who does ever use right Ctrl?
I do. For Ctrl-A, Ctrl-E in bash, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-W in tons of places. It's very unergonomic to contort your hand and do these combos single-handedly. Ctrl-A is particularly bad since the touch typing finger for A is the left pinky, so you need the right Control.

tlt

05 Mar 2013, 07:36

What is the App used key for?

JBert

05 Mar 2013, 13:18

Isn't that the (nearly) useless "Menu" key? It goes by different names.

Ekaros

05 Mar 2013, 13:19

Elrick wrote:
Ekaros wrote:Hmm I think I have to buy one of those...
I'm in complete agreement with you there.

The layout is workable and it can be even considered a suitable daily driver. I love it when 60% comes to the BIG players.

I'm now waiting for Logitech to release a 60% Cherry layout.
Though now the Vortex D-N 60% is more likely option for me. Better availability and warranty...

ideus

03 Apr 2013, 04:11

This post is old, but I liked a lot this idea.
ne0phyte wrote:I would love a 60% keyboard with a layout like this:

Skipdabeat

03 Apr 2013, 06:07

Bought one. . just love it.

Jim66

03 Apr 2013, 21:36

HHKB all the way...

Sir-Weasel

05 Apr 2013, 16:13

I think the case is quiet ugly but i think the layout is f***ing awesome. But i would map the backspace to caps lock and i zould do as ne0phyte suggested :
Swapped FN -> Alt (=AltGr) and Menu -> FN and updated the image.
Looks pretty good, still a lot smaller than tenkeyless boards but without the need to press FN for heavy text editing.

cookie

11 Apr 2013, 13:06

Maybe like this?
Man thats nice, I searched for a good 60% Layout to code with, and I really need arrows, insert, home, pos and end quite a lot. This es exactely what I looked for.

I have a few switches left and an old PBT, its time to build that beauty, the only thing I need is a good controller :)
Only difference is that this one is with an ISO layout.

Lets build this! :D

Return to “News”