IC/Discussion on beige set

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jul 2013, 17:07

The colors in the samples above are "hi-pro" clones. I like them for SA, but for DSA they will be probably cream/beige or cream/grey.

yeeeargh

02 Jul 2013, 17:52

matt3o wrote: varela+humanist
varela-mod.png
helvetica:
helvetica-neu.png
Although I like the helvetica alpha, mods, symbols and numbers are pretty boring.
; and : are mixed up in those templates

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jul 2013, 17:56

I hope you people will be so alert with the final version too :)

Kurk

02 Jul 2013, 20:23

Just two more suggestions for fonts ;)

Neuzeit Office Soft Rounded
seems like a good font for dye subbing
http://www.linotype.com/617033/NeuzeitO ... amily.html
Neuzeit Office Soft Rounded Bold
Neuzeit Office Soft Rounded Bold
Neuzeit Office Rounded Bold.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 9070 times
------------------------------------------------------
And here's my favorite, Camphor :mrgreen:
http://www.linotype.com/769661/CamphorC ... oduct.html
Camphor Bold
Camphor Bold
Camphor Bold.jpg (40.15 KiB) Viewed 9070 times

7bit

02 Jul 2013, 20:57

Erhem.
linotype.com wrote: Desktop fonts are designed to be installed on your computer for use with applications such as Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop. They are licensed per computer.
:roll:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jul 2013, 21:50

are you raising a copyright issue?

7bit

02 Jul 2013, 22:05

I recommend to use a free font and save some money.

input

03 Jul 2013, 01:05

1) DSA PBT Dye-Sub from SP
Definitely looks like the best option to me, looks like you guys have it under control :)

For fonts I am liking Helvetica, I guess I am boring and want my Filco to look like my Model M.

Elrick

03 Jul 2013, 03:03

7bit wrote:I recommend to use a free font and save some money.
Never thought about that. Like kids we see a typeface that appeals to us yet have no idea if it can be used in our (matt3o's) key-cap production.

I do not know where you go to download and use "FREE" fonts because theoretically speaking every Type face can be owned by a corporation wanting copyright payments down the road. Plus I've seen some of those so-called Free-Fonts and they are usually quite 'fugly'.

If Helvetica is the one in the "Free-camp" then please use that. At least have a nice structured font that is easy on the eyes and comes out perfect with the DSA - pbt cap production.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 07:09

I own a Mac so I have a license for Helvetica Neue. CoreHumanist and Varela are both open fonts.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 09:01

PLEASE does anyone have the PBT color ring?! Could you post high res picture of all whites and all beige/greys together?

thanks a bunch!

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2013, 10:07

A pure white paper background would be good too, as it allows later white balance calibration.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 10:44

even better pure white MATTE plastic :) or one of those MATTE photo papers

I really can't calibrate the very bad picture on SP site.
Last edited by matt3o on 03 Jul 2013, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

pasph

03 Jul 2013, 11:01

you need a matte surface (no reflections) to calibrate

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 11:02

better? a white paper is not enough unless it's really (really) thick

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2013, 16:04

7bit wrote:Erhem.
linotype.com wrote: Desktop fonts are designed to be installed on your computer for use with applications such as Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop. They are licensed per computer.
:roll:
matt3o wrote:are you raising a copyright issue?
7bit wrote:I recommend to use a free font and save some money.
matt3o wrote:I own a Mac so I have a license for Helvetica Neue. CoreHumanist and Varela are both open fonts.
Yes, Matteo's right. The license is about restrictions on copying the font files, not about restricting where you can print them. All the screenshots and samples in this thread are perfectly allowed; just the .otf or .ttf etc. font files themselves are prohibited. Whatever work you do with fonts is your work. Even just single letters to put on caps.

Speaking of classic fonts you'll find alongside Helvetica, here are some famous characters.

Stanley Kubrick might approve:

Ever ridden on the tube?

Nothing says late 60s/70s corporate mainframe chic like:

But honestly: Helvetica Neue!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 17:11

veto on Eurostyle :P

Futura looks good actually

pasph

03 Jul 2013, 17:30

Futura oblique is the Filco font

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2013, 17:31

Futura is fantastic. You can vary the weight quite a bit. Bundled in OS X.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jul 2013, 17:43

Muirium wrote:[…] Yes, Matteo's right. The license is about restrictions on copying the font files, not about restricting where you can print them. All the screenshots and samples in this thread are perfectly allowed; just the .otf or .ttf etc. font files themselves are prohibited. Whatever work you do with fonts is your work. Even just single letters to put on caps. […]
Sorry to disagree.
If you publish a book using a font which is copyright protected, you clearly infringe on the copyright owner's rights. Fonts are art work, same as logos or photographs. You are not allowed to reproduce them for other than own purposes.
And a GB is clearly the opposite of "own purposes", as it precisely intends to disseminate the keycaps.

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2013, 18:21

There's a second license you need for use when selling works?

No sign of it here:
Buy a licence of Helvetica. Problem solved.
If you are on a Mac, Helvetica is a system font. Therefore legal to use in commercial work.
It is worth noting that a standard license will only cover you for traditional print publication and not any kind of commercial digital distribution that requires embedding of the font data.
That's precisely my understanding too. The protected property is the font file itself. You can print it on anything you like, and sell as you wish. So long as you're not copying someone else's trademarked logo. (A whole other matter.)
Last edited by Muirium on 03 Jul 2013, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

yeeeargh

03 Jul 2013, 18:33

as far as i know a font is a piece of software. copyright is for the font itself, like if you can share it with others, edit it and so on. if you buy a fontfance you buy a license which states on how many pcs you can install it and how you can use it. depenting on how you want to use the font it might be necessary to buy a different license for it. some licenses only grant personal use, other commercial usage, if you can embedd it into webpages, ebooks, pdfs and so on.

so, read the eula of to particular font to know what you can do with it.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 19:06

thank for the heads up guys. I'll review the EULA very carefully for each fonts we are going to use.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jul 2013, 19:07

Muirium wrote:[…] The protected property is the font file itself. You can print it on anything you like, and sell as you wish. […]
Would you buy a CD and argue that it is a font file, so you can copy the music to any digital medium you like and sell it as you wish?
Exactly like music, fonts are art work created by authors who can decide how they want to license it.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jul 2013, 19:07

Muirium wrote:[…] The protected property is the font file itself. You can print it on anything you like, and sell as you wish. […]
Would you buy a CD and argue that it is just a file, so you can copy the music to any digital medium you like and sell it as you wish?
Exactly like music, fonts are art work created by authors who can decide how they want to license it.

Edit:
matt3o wrote:thank for the heads up guys. I'll review the EULA very carefully for each fonts we are going to use.
That's my point.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jul 2013, 19:11

GMK just replied saying that they are not going to lower the MOQ in any way. So...

Muirium
µ

03 Jul 2013, 19:12

kbdfr wrote: Edit:
matt3o wrote:thank for the heads up guys. I'll review the EULA very carefully for each fonts we are going to use.
That's my point.
Fair enough. Now where did Apple put the EULAs for its bundled fonts…
matt3o wrote:GMK just replied saying that they are not going to lower the MOQ in any way. So...
Option 3 is off the table, and SP got themselves the business once again.

yeeeargh

03 Jul 2013, 19:30

Muirium wrote:Fair enough. Now where did Apple put the EULAs for its bundled fonts…
Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software;
http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/guide ... -licensing

pasph

03 Jul 2013, 20:21

This is a real retro font :)

7bit

03 Jul 2013, 20:29

Return to “Group buys”