A Keyboard Love Story IV - Noppoo Choc Mini (Black POM)

codehead

26 Jun 2012, 19:50

This time, I was looking for another Cherry MX blue board but with thick PBT keycaps. Since I was already quite pleased on the typing experience on the Filco, it was just natural progression to search for a similar board with PBT keycaps. I discovered Leopold FC700R. Reviews with flying colors and manufactured by Costar, the same OEM as Filco, PBT keycaps, nice tenkeyless all-white appearance etc. It was all there! But nowhere to be bought... Couldn’t find a web shop in US nor Europe to sell it (What’s up with EliteKeyboards NOT selling FC700R ?!)I talked with my sister-in-law who had lived, studied and worked recently in Seoul if she could help me out. But still, international shipping seemed to be no-no. I decided to stop the chase and recoup.

I stumbled upon Noppoo Choc Mini and a fellow called attarian. Attarian is apparently a French guy living in China. I told him, that I really appreciate what he and some other guys, like qtan, are doing when importing these funky Asian devices to Europe without ripping us off. Anyway, he told me that the PBT Noppoos with Cherry MX blue switches had ran out in January. Same response from qtan at GeekHack. I tried finding one for a week or two but then made a decision to go with the POM keycap version...

Noppoo Choc Mini, with black POM keycaps and Cherry MX blue switches arrived at the end of May, conveniently during my holiday in Turkey and ready to be pulled straight into action at my startup’s new office. Doing business with attarian was a very good experience. Great seller!

Packaging. Clearly lower end. The cardboard box has some wrinkles on corners and I remember seeing the exact same in another review as well. The painting on the box is quite shallow or translucent. Engrish sales pitch on the box gives a nice exotic touch. It claims to be designed in US. Riiight... :D

There are no accessories. I understood that it was the seller, attarian, who threw in the keycap puller. So it’s just the keyboard in the box with a warranty card, which is in Chinese of course.

The appearance of the Noppoo Choc Mini, just like the name and just like the packaging, is a bit.. Toyish,I’d say. For example, there are side prints in different colors like red and turquoise and the top-side of the case bends very easily. The keyboard is very light. It is surprisingly light actually, around half a kilo. In a nutshell; it won’t do as a close combat weapon.

Feature wise, it is pretty close being excellent but...
  • Cable is soldered in place, but it’ll do and it’s long.
  • The 84-key US layout is almost perfect! Media keys are there behind Fn, which is nice extra and numpad as well but I’ve never bothered to use it. I use numpad only with a full-size keyboard.
  • I wonder why they didn’t add a Stop button into media keys …?
  • The biggest issue with the layout is the positioning of Home and End. Noppoo really went wrong with them. Home and End are put behind Fn key and instead, Pause and Delete are there in addition to Page Up and Page Down. Pause and Delete instead of Home and End... Come on! But gradually my fingers learned to dig up Home and End.
  • Supposedly (= haven’t tested) has NKRO via USB. Noppoo achieves this via “a very clever hack” of emulating a USB hub on the board’s controller. This meant sacrificing support for Mac OS X systems. Bad decision. I claim that the number of (potential) customers actually making any benefit of NKRO over 6KRO is much lower than the number of Mac OS X users. Then again, Mac OS X users can get a couple of adapters to workaround it, which probably means dropping down to 6KRO.
  • The feet underneath the keyboard are pretty much useless. Shake, rattle, roll. But this isn’t a problem for me. I don’t use the feet that lift the keyboard and it doesn’t move away on the desk either because I don’t lean on it nor do I hammer it.
All in all, in terms of quality and features, I think that Noppoo did very well. They cut costs and corners, it’s easy to tell, but they did leave the right parts in tact.

All right, enough! How about those keycaps and switches that got me into this mess? Solid Gold! I’m telling you, Noppoo sets the new standards for keycap thickness and texture. And at this price! Noppoo’s POM keycaps destroy my Ducky and Filco. POM keycaps feel very nice. They feel something in between ABS and PBT, leaning towards the PBT.

Typing on Noppoo is terrific. Despite the compactness, it doesn’t feel cramped. Due to the keycap thickness and maybe due to the lower keycap profile as well, the clicking sound is slightly lower pitched and thicker than my Ducky’s. Occasional clacking sound when bottoming down is likewise very pleasing. All in all, typing is firm. Firmer than on Ducky or Filco.

Fun fact: I managed to find out that this company is probably the OEM of the board http://www.sunsky-online.com/base/doc!v ... de=aboutUs Discovered it via Alibaba a month ago...

Was my quest reaching its end? Had I found The One? Then I heard that attarian received a batch of Noppoo Choc Mini Whites, with Cherry MX browns and PBT keycaps. Then there are the boards with ALPS... And that’s a whole other story!

bebuxe

14 Jul 2012, 12:14

If you like, add that it works fine on Linux (only used Ubuntu and Fedora). It is 11KRO* with the trick. I am looking for the USB issue/trick that it does. I might make a driver for this in the FreeBSD kernel (what Mac OSX really uses).

Yes my native OS, including my laptop is FreeBSD (Still I love Debian, Arch, OpenBSD, etc.)

Tested on Vostro 260s Slim Tower Desktop, and some other Machines I haven't looked at the specs. If I am allowed, I will place dmesg and usb-devices output.

PS
F&LOSS FTW!

Spoiler:
Which is all you really need. Unless your are two-timing on they keyboard >.<
EDIT: LOL, adding to wiki:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Noppoo_Choc_Mini

mxfh

01 Sep 2012, 21:29

I have a Choc-84 Brown for 2 days now.
I'm overall impressed and find it to feature the smartest small layout around for everyday use.
And since I'm left-handed its great to have so many keys with distinct sizes and arrangement in a compact zone on the right side for gaming.
My version seems to be different then yours, it has white labels and
[Delete]
[Home]
[PgUp]
[PgDn]
[End]
[->]
from top to bottom in the outermost right column. And Insert as [Fn+F12].
So far the only minor drawbacks i found I'm happy to live with anyways:

- Other than [Fn+NumLock] there seems to be no way to access the blue Numpad.
I would prefer them to be accessible with holding down [Fn] too (e.g.: [Fn+M]=[Num0]), I might just scratch those blue labels off some day if I dont use them in the next month)
- I find the LEDs a little bit too bright, and there is apparently no way to turn them off or dim them. (This isn't an Issue for me since I only have to leave out the switch Caps functionality)
- The noppoo logo is a little bit too much in your face on the front of the space bar, so might get the same treatment as the Numkey labels.

Anyway I more than happy than finding out about and owning this keyboard so far.

TheQsanity

08 Oct 2012, 08:09

mxfh wrote:I have a Choc-84 Brown for 2 days now.
I'm overall impressed and find it to feature the smartest small layout around for everyday use.
And since I'm left-handed its great to have so many keys with distinct sizes and arrangement in a compact zone on the right side for gaming.
My version seems to be different then yours, it has white labels and
[Delete]
[Home]
[PgUp]
[PgDn]
[End]
[->]
from top to bottom in the outermost right column. And Insert as [Fn+F12].
So far the only minor drawbacks i found I'm happy to live with anyways:

- Other than [Fn+NumLock] there seems to be no way to access the blue Numpad.
I would prefer them to be accessible with holding down [Fn] too (e.g.: [Fn+M]=[Num0]), I might just scratch those blue labels off some day if I dont use them in the next month)
- I find the LEDs a little bit too bright, and there is apparently no way to turn them off or dim them. (This isn't an Issue for me since I only have to leave out the switch Caps functionality)
- The noppoo logo is a little bit too much in your face on the front of the space bar, so might get the same treatment as the Numkey labels.

Anyway I more than happy than finding out about and owning this keyboard so far.
Where did you find this one?

thefish

22 Jul 2013, 14:54

TheQsanity wrote:
Where did you find this one?
I've got today brand new choc mini with exactly same layout. Looks like it is now standard layout for 2013 (and late 2012?) version.
Sorry for quality of image - shot the keyboard with crappy phone camera. :oops:
Last edited by thefish on 13 Sep 2017, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

shrapneL

01 Aug 2013, 15:19

Thanks for the review! I've been looking at getting one as well.
The appearance of the Noppoo Choc Mini, just like the name and just like the packaging, is a bit.. Toyish,I’d say. For example, there are side prints in different colors like red and turquoise and the top-side of the case bends very easily.
It's a bummer that is bends easily, but I do enjoy the colors they added. I think it adds something that most keyboards don't have. And it's eye catching!

xCharkz

23 Jun 2014, 19:17

Hey guys!
I just got this keyboard. And there is a couple of FN shortcuts that confuse me.

-What does the Esc function do?
-What does the F10,F11 and F12 do?

Return to “Reviews”