FK-8000!

Trent

24 Feb 2012, 05:15

So, after some local searching, I had a great find. I found a Focus 8000 (FK-8000), this keyboard is like the FK-2000 and the
FK-2005 except this model has a built in calculator that acts with the numpad, quite an odd feature. After some cleaning and refurbishing, the unit is up and working beautifully. This turned out to be a great keyboard. The typing is very stiff, I may have gotten some water inside of the alps caps, but I also think that this may have been barely used. All of the keys work, but I wish the typing was a bit less stiff, any suggestions?

Here are pics:

Yellow ALPS for scroll lock, caps lock and num lock.

White ALPS for all other keys

The calculator runs on a small 3v battery, like ones used for CMOS

Dirty.

Keypad

Dirty Dirty... (it was cleaned, but no photo of board clean)

Stuff got messy...

Manufacture date

The final product!

I hope you enjoyed the photos! If you have any suggestions to reduce the stiffness (haha) of the keys please let me know. When cleaning it I used Qtips between the alps switches, a bit wet with dental caps and water. I had one other one I did this with and it didn't have this effect. Could the triggers just be barely used? Old? I hear a spring sound when I type.

Trent

Kurk

24 Feb 2012, 22:22

Nice keyboard! I have a Focus FK-5001 but unfortunately the numbers in the calculator's display are all scrambled. At laest mine has a TURBO key :lol:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-5001

Mrinterface

25 Feb 2012, 21:12

Cool calculator!!!
If I'd find something like this, I'd mod it with blue montereys : a lot less 'stiffer' than white clicky alps.

Trent

26 Feb 2012, 07:34

Mrinterface wrote:Cool calculator!!!
If I'd find something like this, I'd mod it with blue montereys : a lot less 'stiffer' than white clicky alps.
I find it interesting that the keys are so stiff. It has been multiple days since the clean and they are still quite stiff. What interests me the most is that I have two FK-2000's both of which have the same white alps switches, but neither of them have the stiffness that this board does. One I have used to years and the alps have been used very well, the other was practically brand new but didn't have the stiff issues.

Mrinterface

26 Feb 2012, 20:37

Trent wrote: One I have used to years and the alps have been used very well, the other was practically brand new but didn't have the stiff issues.
Aaahhh, the weird and wonderful world called ALPS... You never know what you are going to get , until you get it....

bucyfer

26 Feb 2012, 22:10

May I know how much did u pay for the keyboard?

Aww I fell in love in that model! That big-ass ENTER and RGB shift/alt/ctrl... and calculator.

Trent

27 Feb 2012, 03:12

bucyfer wrote:May I know how much did u pay for the keyboard?

Aww I fell in love in that model! That big-ass ENTER and RGB shift/alt/ctrl... and calculator.
I contacted a local computer recycling plant to contact me if they had any PS/2 or AT keyboards come by that had a "mechanical feel" to them. They called me up to inform me that they had two keyboards for me to come and look at. One was this FK-8000 and the other was a newer model FK-2000 with a windows key (the one I had been using for years did not, although had colored letter Shift, Alt and Ctrl keys.) They offered me both keyboards for $5 :)

When I initially told them about my interest, I mentioned the IBM Model M keyboards, and they told me that whenever they found old AT and PS/2 keyboards that they most of the time threw them out. This made my die a little on the inside :cry: , and I told them that I would buy any/all mechanical keyboards that they get, forever. I hope to get many more keyboards from them over the next few months while I am still in this area, and told them that I'd pay for them when I eventually move out of the area if they ship them to me.

Trent

Icarium

27 Feb 2012, 21:22

Sweet move!

maxrunner

26 Jul 2012, 00:50

Did you managed to find anything about the stiffness of the keys, i have an Ortek MCK-84 and some keys are still very stiff, specially the ENTER key and it happens more when you try to press the bigger keys from the sides inteast from the center it seems. But its still a joy to type on these.

regards,

Trent

27 Jul 2012, 02:12

maxrunner wrote:Did you managed to find anything about the stiffness of the keys, i have an Ortek MCK-84 and some keys are still very stiff, specially the ENTER key and it happens more when you try to press the bigger keys from the sides inteast from the center it seems. But its still a joy to type on these.

regards,
I have 5 different types of white clicky alps boards. They all feel different. The FK-8000 is very stiff. My FK-9000 is normal and one of my FK-2000's are light light light! It seems to really just depend on the situation

ChrisH821

09 Aug 2013, 08:11

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have an interesting note on the FK-8000. I was lucky enough to come across one of these at a salvation army store complete with box, packing foam and plastic key cover, it did need a good cleaning though.

Of note is the FK-8000 that I have uses a different key switch. I am not the most knowledgeable on switch types so hopefully someone can chime in with some input. These are the switches that mine uses:
20130809_001346.jpg
20130809_001346.jpg (171.46 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
They are not stiff at all.

Also, mine is a slightly earlier serial number and it made in Taiwan. If I remember right, the date code on the inside of the housing was 3/93.
20130809_002320.jpg
20130809_002320.jpg (191.57 KiB) Viewed 6268 times
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Halvar

09 Aug 2013, 09:18

That's a Futaba clicky switch.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Futaba_clicky_switch
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-8000

I like their very unique feel, quite light, tactile when pressing down, light click when they come back up.

It's a strange thing that the keyboard has the same FCC number and a different manufacturer of switches.

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Aug 2013, 22:35

Strange? Maybe, but not unusual. It was common practice to change the switch repeatedly. Chicony burnt through at least five switch types with the KB-5181/2 (Cherry MX, Alps CM, SMK 2nd gen, Yali, Futaba clicky and apparently also Mitsumi of some kind (according to Chicony), though I've never seen one of those) — this is probably the record for most switches in a single model.

Same story with the SIIG MiniTouch — Alps and SMK switches. Each switch change required a new PCB and new mounting plate!

From what I understand, those Futaba clicky switches are pretty much the pingiest in the world :) Still never found one for sale here (even at an unreasonable price).

Halvar

09 Aug 2013, 23:59

Yes, that's true, they have a very high-pitched ping that gives a distinct undertone if you type continously (Chicony KB-5192 in my case). There must be some metal part in it that is hit and resonates like a little bell when the slider comes back up. It doesn't bother me, but if a person is sensitive to sounds like that it can probably drive him/her crazy

I'd like to see the innards of one, but I'm not ready to sacrifice one yet ...

About the FCC-ID: as far as I understand, the FCC ID means that the FCC (US Federal Communications Commission) has checked and authorized the sale of a certain product in the US because it doesn't interfere with radio communication. That's why I wonder how the FCC ID can stay the same when the PCB has changed. Seems like there is no real testing of the product then.

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Aug 2013, 01:41

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/skm2001.htm — disassembled Futaba clicky switch. They cannot be reassembled without glue. I only have the one switch, which is why I've never taken it apart to get a better series of photos. (On the other hand, I've destroyed several M6/M7 switches, since I have enough of them to lose a few in the interests of research.)

Halvar

10 Aug 2013, 11:17

Interesting, thanks! The white part looks surprisinly flat for something that has to reliably invert and spring back.

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2013, 13:28

Indeed. I have just the one switch, too, and its ping really catches my ears. Wonder what a whole keyboard singing along must be like! I'm one of those oddballs who still hears bats in his thirties. Perhaps this keyboard would be torturous!

There's a world of difference between enduring someone else's typing and hammering away at your own, of course. My twangy Model F is music to my ears, and a reminder that I'm up in my office to everyone else.

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Aug 2013, 16:23

Like this, apparently:

Return to “Gallery”