Alps Low Profile Oval Slider Review

nubbinator

15 Mar 2014, 05:15

Alps never seem to get the love they deserve...outside of Akimbo that is. There's just something fun to me about the massive field of options available to you with them There are just so many different types that you can all but guarantee that you will find at least one Alps switch that you will fall in love with.

To start, I want to give a little respect to the source of the switches, a vanquished Toshiba T3200. While the laptop may have been sold in pieces and came to me partially disassembled and in a sad state, the keyboard was there in its entirety, looking as sexy and beautiful as a Dolch keyboard.

These are one of the many linear Alps out there and they're definitely one of the most interesting Alps switches I've felt so far.

A word about the external design

Unlike most Alps, the low profile oval sliders have a metal plate on the top. If you look closely, you can see a stylized italics Alps logo printed on the bottom side of the switch. You'll also notice that, unlike most Alps switches, the slider has a little peg in it. I suppose the logic there is that it helps keep the cap even more stable with less wobble. You still see Alps caps with a hole in the stem to fit on sliders like this, but the SKCM/SKCL/SKBL/SKBM Alps you see more often don't have that little additional part.

I don't have any Alps around me right now, but the sliders also seem to stick a little further out of the housing than the more common SKCM/SKCL/SKBL/SKBM Alps variants.

The switches get even more interesting once they're desoldered.

When you look at the bottom of the switch, you'll notice four metal legs. The topmost legs in the image, legs that are expose on both sides of the switch, are the legs for the switch mechanism. I'll go into that more later, but it's a different mechanism than modern Alps. The other set of legs are for the switch top. If you want to open the switch, you actually have to desolder the legs to remove it. Once the legs are desoldered, it actually slides off pretty easily.

You may also notice the holes in the bottom. It actually appears that, should you want to, you could install a diode in the switch and run the legs down through the smaller holes or you could install an LED in the housing if you used an alternate switch top that had a cutout for the LED.

A word about the internal design

The switch itself is composed of four main parts, the bottom half of the housing, the spring, the slider, and the top metal plate.

The top metal part of the housing is pretty boring. Attractive as hell, but boring. It's just some cut metal (appears to be aluminum) that fits onto the switch.

The slider is a little more interesting. The inside bottom of the slider has a small hole for the spring to fit into with a tiny nub to help keep it in place. It also has a large guide and a smaller bump on the side that actuates the switch mechanism.

And here's a pic of the spring for those of you who love to figure out the length, coils, and so on:

The mechanism for the switch is a bit different than most Alps though. Unlike older Alps where a leaf is compressed and touches the contact mechanism, actuating and creating a full circuit to signal the switch has been depressed, the low profile oval slider Alps breaks a circuit to actuate the switch. When the bump on the slider comes down, it presses on a little copper spring that pushes the top metal contact away from the bottom contact, interrupting the circuit.

Switch Feel

When I first tried out one of the switches on the board, my first thought was holy crap this thing is smooth. As I pressed more, I found myself thinking that, while smooth, it just felt sluggish. I don't know how it's possible, but they simultaneously feel like they're smooth as a baby's butt and as slow as wading through a pool of molasses or syrup. It's a bizarre combination. The switches feel awesome, but there's something that just feels off.

Since I got it used and in such...interesting condition, I didn't let that first impression turn me off. I know that some old switches feel like crap because they're full of crap. A good cleaning is often enough to rejuvenate them and make them feel awesome. So, I pulled out my soldering iron and desoldered one. A gentle brushing and thin coat of Krytox later, and I had the switches put back together.

So, did that fix anything? Holy crap, yes it did. There's a world of difference between the dirty ones and a lubed and clean one. A little bit of that sluggishness or smooth resistance remains, but it's a specter of what it was. You still get a little of that Alps resistance and funkiness if you hit it at the wrong angle, but they feel amazing now. Weight wise, they're between a Black MX and Red MX switch, probably in the 62-67g range in Korean springs, and feel similar to a lighter weight Ghost Black. They're wonderful switches to use and feel much more stable than most other Alps I've used. Since, sadly, I don't have a keyboard of them yet, I can't say they're my favorite linear switch, but I'm certainly not discounting them either. This is a switch that truly deserves a renaissance, at least if you're a linear person.

By now, you've probably figured out the one glaring flaw with the switch. As awesome as these switches are, I can't use them on anything but the T3200 keyboard unless I design my own PCB, something I don't have the technical know how to do yet. If the layout were better and the board were easier to work with and get talking with a Teensy, I'd make a keyboard for daily use in a heartbeat out of it.

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Mar 2014, 14:02

w00t!

We have the family name!

I figured that if Bigfoot's KFCLEA means SKCL, then your KFFLEB must mean Alps SKFL:

http://www.technologytransplant.com/pro ... cts_id=113

It does.

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Mar 2014, 16:32

nubbinator wrote:The mechanism for the switch is a bit different than most Alps though. Unlike older Alps where a leaf is compressed and touches the contact mechanism, actuating and creating a full circuit to signal the switch has been depressed, the low profile oval slider Alps breaks a circuit to actuate the switch. When the bump on the slider comes down, it presses on a little copper spring that pushes the top metal contact away from the bottom contact, interrupting the circuit.
NC switches? Are you positive on that one?

The normal approach is that the slider holds the contacts apart when it is in the home position; when you depress the slider, the ramp on the slider is moved away from the contacts, allowing them to close. Variants of this design are used for SMK and Cherry switches amongst others.

The bump on your slider is at the bottom, and the copper spring is at the top, suggesting that the contacts will be open when the slider is home, and closed when the slider is depressed.

nubbinator

15 Mar 2014, 18:28

Glad to see that the review might be able to help expand the knowledge about the switch and family some.

And yes, I'm absolutely positive on that one Daniel. I just opened one up again to double check that I remembered correctly. The two contacts are touching when the slider is in its home position. As you depress it, the bump on the slider pushes that little coppery nub you see in the bottom of of the mechanism up. As it moves up, it pushes the top contact away from the bottom one. When you get close to bottoming out, the contacts close again.

To triple check, I also got the mechanism partially out of the housing (not really an easy thing to do). The coppery nub/bump on the bottom is connected to a copper leaf. That leaf is insulated from the rest of the mechanism by two black plastic shims that are difficult to make out in the picture unless you expand them. They're on the right and left side of the cutout where the mechanism is. Each of the contacts slide into a slit in the middle of that plastic shim, insulating them from the bottom copper leaf.

Muirium
µ

15 Mar 2014, 19:02

nubbinator wrote:When you get close to bottoming out, the contacts close again.
Whoah! A switch that flips state back to inactive when bottomed out? Whatever were they up to?

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Mar 2014, 23:10

I don't find that plausible. It wouldn't make any sense for a keyboard switch to be NC, and having two state changes would make it completely useless. NC would require diodes to make a usable keyboard (though yours appears to have them fitted) and you'd need a completely different controller, as all stock keyboard controllers are designed for NO switches.

Looking at the parts, the contacts should be held open by the slider, and released into their closed position when the key is pressed. The idea that it would change state twice means that you're holding the slider too far up. The home position will have it already half-way inside the switch. The fact that you're seeing a "second" state change confirms this: that is the real and only state change.

Return to “Keyboards”