What is your favorite switch and why?

JelinaNU

12 Feb 2011, 21:42

It still too early in my mechkey addiction to say with any confidence that Cherry blues are my favorite switch; I still have many to try. I do know, however, that clicky switches are almost a necessity. The sound of typing on clicky switches has a near-mesmeric effect for me, helping me to focus and write faster, better, and with fewer delays/distractions. In fact, I discovered Geekhack (and subsequently Deskthority) while researching typewriters.

I can see how the sharp and distinct sound of the blues might be a social faux pax in public locations, though. (I spend a lot of time in train stations and on trains.) Considering that fact is why I managed not to got on tilt when I discovered that the board I imported for my laptop actually had brown switches. I'm am hoping they have enough of an audible click to emulate the "Typewriter Effect," as I call it, whilst not getting me chased out of smaller spaces by belligerent travelers.

All that said, I've noticed too that I am rather heavy-handed, tending to bottom-out these Cherry blues. (I should have know as much from my arcade experience.) Are there linear-clicky switches? Cherry blacks?

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Feb 2011, 22:12

Maybe you need to get into Alps or buckling springs if you find the Blues don't provide enough resistance.

JelinaNU

12 Feb 2011, 23:20

webwit wrote:Maybe you need to get into Alps or buckling springs if you find the Blues don't provide enough resistance.
I have a line on a vintage SiiG MiniTouch with white Alps (or some facsimile), but I didn't find it until after my school hit me with a $1500 materials cost for the semester. That's rough on $11/hr, so dropping another day's pay on a board will have to wait. I'm crossing my fingers and my toes that the SiiG waits for me to get some more gypsy money.

webwit
Wild Duck

12 Feb 2011, 23:27

Not the best of Alps clones in most of those MiniTouch keyboards, usually the XM type. I don't like the XMs.

This one with blue Montereys is cool though:

JelinaNU

13 Feb 2011, 00:11

What about the Fukkas in the Matias Tactile Pro? I'm out of my depth in trying to source which iteration of white Alps or Fukkas are in a particular board. Short of pulling model numbers, is there a way to tell for the more recent boards? The manufactures' sites don't often give detailed switch information. I had to sift through reviews to even see what the XM type even were.

And thank you for your input. It's appreciated.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Feb 2011, 00:33

I like the Fukkas. Compare the tabs on the left and right side were the switch is attached to the case.

Pictures by elitekeyboards.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 00:42

ALPS is a too freaking complicated business for me. I do pick them up when I see them, but I do not bother to collect them. Too many colors, too many variants, too many details. With logo, without logo, logo on top, logo on bottom, rubber sliders, orange, blue, dark orange, WHAT?

Fukkas are okay though!

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Feb 2011, 01:01

Ripster got into ALPS, and look what happened to him.

JelinaNU

13 Feb 2011, 01:08

Good information makes me happy. Scholars and gentlemen -- the both of you. There's much to consider before my next purchase.

turbocharged

13 Feb 2011, 04:28

I haven't yet tried every switch out there, but have listed every switch I have tried and the order in which I like them...towards the bottom of the list, the order is more vague/arbitrary.

1) Cherry MX Black (feels endless and smooth...whether PCB or plate mounted, they are hands down my favorite. Sixty talks about old/new black switches and I tend to agree that the old ones are better, but the new ones aren't far behind in my book).
2) IBM Buckling Spring (the tactility and weight are great...but I think MX Clears might knock this down)
3) Cherry ML (short throw is nice...would like them more if they didn't bind when hit off center)
4) Cherry MX Brown (tactile point is too vague, I either like it to be a very pronounced tactile bump or perfectly smooth)
5) ALPS Complicated Black (just not smooth at all)
6) Cherry MX Blue (I don't like clicky switches and the reset point caused me some issues when typing words with the same letter twice in a row).
7) NMB Space Invader (not as smooth as MX Blue and still clicky)

I really want to try Topre 55g, MX Clears, MX Reds. I'm getting some brown springs in the mail next week and will be converting my G80-11900 to "reds" so we will see, there may be a new king in my book.

spolia_optima

13 Feb 2011, 06:31

mx browns because they're the most ergonomic switch for me at any price point.

Ascaii
The Beard

13 Feb 2011, 16:03

after another while im going to have to revoke my original opinion and switch my top 2 switches.
Black Cherries before black alps. You got me, sixty :o

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 16:09

Another real man is born!

noctua

13 Feb 2011, 16:46

sixty: There is an user on typerracer called "realmenusecherryblack", exposed? :lol:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

13 Feb 2011, 16:48

Yeah, that of course is me.

A while ago I used to make a separate account for every single switch type to see how fast I would be.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

13 Feb 2011, 16:51

I like to think of Alps in terms of clicky, linear and tactile. If you start worrying about slider colours, you go insane. I'm not even going to get started about the weird subtleties that existed between various types...

J888www

15 Feb 2011, 00:36

Monterey.
Why ?......Je ne sais quoi.
Credited to Ripster.
"You thiefing Monkey......."

Mrinterface

15 Feb 2011, 14:45

turbocharged wrote:
I really want to try Topre 55g, MX Clears, MX Reds. I'm getting some brown springs in the mail next week and will be converting my G80-11900 to "reds" so we will see, there may be a new king in my book.
Why don't you enter the Switch Try Bag sinklist : http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64? You'll get a chance to try MX clears and MX reds :-)

I also modded a black MX into a 'red' MX and to me there is no difference between the fake MX red and the real MX red.

Regards.

turbocharged

16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Mrinterface wrote:
turbocharged wrote:
Why don't you enter the Switch Try Bag sinklist : http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64? You'll get a chance to try MX clears and MX reds :-)

I also modded a black MX into a 'red' MX and to me there is no difference between the fake MX red and the real MX red.

Regards.
Yea I just might need to...esp for the topre 55g...can't justify the cost just to try them out.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

16 Feb 2011, 01:46

55g will be hard to test. The Topre keychain we have in circulation for testing is 45g :/

keyboardlover

16 Feb 2011, 01:47

Cherry MX clear is close IMHO; more so in pressure than switch feel.

Crazy9000

16 Feb 2011, 02:12

sixty wrote:55g will be hard to test. The Topre keychain we have in circulation for testing is 45g :/
While there is a difference between them, it's not THAT big. I don't think anyone would like the 45g and dislike the 55g, they would just prefer one.

chimborazo

20 Feb 2011, 19:51

sixty wrote:
ohdh2003 wrote:I love Cherry ML switches. ;) Recently so I made a keyboard, which uses ML.
i thought ml were some sort of a black/brown mutt. am i right or not?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Feb 2011, 21:04

ML keyfeel is really hard to explain. Your description sounds pretty close.

bugfix

20 Feb 2011, 21:28

Crazy9000 wrote:
While there is a difference between them, it's not THAT big. I don't think anyone would like the 45g and dislike the 55g, they would just prefer one.
Though I find the difference between 45g and 55g too be more noticable than between 45g and 35g.
Last edited by bugfix on 20 Feb 2011, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

chimborazo

20 Feb 2011, 22:21

sixty wrote:ML keyfeel is really hard to explain. Your description sounds pretty close.
thanks sixty. but just f/ the record it is not linear. right? just a slightly stiffer mx brown.

to answer the thread's question: cherry mx clear is my favorite so far. i have tried blue, brown, alps (fukkas - although to be honest i wasnt able to confirm whether the matias had that kind or it was another alps swt)

Ekaros

04 Mar 2011, 14:48

Generaly, on boards I own now:
Browns (just so light and still can be had fun with)
BS (different, but enjoyable)
Black (Acctualy I hate them, but keeping for collection)

Have to get my hands on other three MX, Clears might be the winner, pure tactility and high force before it...

Got MLs coming, have to see how I like those...

Shazb0t

04 Mar 2011, 15:35

For Typing: Complicated Black Alps & Cherry browns
I don't know why but I find I can type with less mistakes using the stiffer black alps than the cherry browns. It may just be the browns are too easy for me to make accidental key presses. If i get better with my fingers I could probably type faster on the browns. Maybe I should try clears?

For Gaming: Cherry Reds
I used blacks for awhile for fps games, but my fingers would start to hurt after the first hour or so. The solution? Cherry reds.

ironman31

04 Mar 2011, 16:40

Crazy9000 wrote:
sixty wrote:55g will be hard to test. The Topre keychain we have in circulation for testing is 45g :/
I feel the feel between a 45g Realforce Topre and a 55g is enough to justifying having both. 10g doesn't just make a different in how hard you have to press, but the overall characteristics of the switch feel. I'm repeating what a lot of people have said, but the 55g is much "snappier" than the 45g. I would describe it as more fun than a variable weight board. Just as I was describe an MX blue board to be more fun and interesting than an MX brown keyboard. Though it all depends on what mood you're in and what kind of work you're doing.

JinDesu

04 Mar 2011, 16:42

My favorite (having only tried blue and brown, but hearing comparisons on other switch types as well) switch type is currently the Cherry MX Blue on a Filco. When I get a streak withour bottoming out, the tactility and sound is such a good feeling.

I would love to try a topre board someday though.

Return to “Keyboards”