Matias Tactile Pro 4 (PC) first impressions

deeyay

27 Dec 2014, 18:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I tried a keycap swap with a keycap from my AT102W — it made very little difference. I don't think the keycaps are the problem. That first keyboard selected for donor caps is going to be a much higher quality product — most likely to be a genuine Alps Bigfoot!

For all I know, it's because Matias use polycarbonate for the shell instead of ABS.

As for dark-on-white (it's not: Apple use laser charring to give grey-on-white, which they pull off fairly well) it shows up stains far more readily, but it's better for dust :)

Strangely, I like the Matias gloss black, but mine came scratched from new (as did the Quiet Pro as I recall) and polycarbonate seems to scratch very readily. Even brushing off dust for a photo left scratches in the plastic! It's not like whatever my camera screen is shielded with, as that's glossy yet not terribly scratched after nine years. (It's scratched, but not like my brand new Matias!)
Hmm I have no idea what I will get with that Alps keyboard. Very new to Alps overall. Alps Bigfoot you say I have never heard of it even! The seller just said it's not a mechanical keyboard but that it has Alps switches. So it's a good keyboard you say? Got it for $7.

And yeah one of the resons I also painted my Matias is that I noticed it scratches very easily. Mine was also scratched out of the box in some minor places. Me trying to rub it away created new scratches. I was like wth and decided to paint it right then! So I did.

Hypersphere

27 Dec 2014, 18:47

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I tried a keycap swap with a keycap from my AT102W — it made very little difference. I don't think the keycaps are the problem. That first keyboard selected for donor caps is going to be a much higher quality product — most likely to be a genuine Alps Bigfoot!

For all I know, it's because Matias use polycarbonate for the shell instead of ABS.

As for dark-on-white (it's not: Apple use laser charring to give grey-on-white, which they pull off fairly well) it shows up stains far more readily, but it's better for dust :)

Strangely, I like the Matias gloss black, but mine came scratched from new (as did the Quiet Pro as I recall) and polycarbonate seems to scratch very readily. Even brushing off dust for a photo left scratches in the plastic! It's not like whatever my camera screen is shielded with, as that's glossy yet not terribly scratched after nine years. (It's scratched, but not like my brand new Matias!)
I think that the hollow polycarbonate shell could have a lot to do with the sound of the Matias keyboards. However, my V60 Matias Click with its minimalistic ABS case is very loud -- apparently an inherent property of the Matias Click switches. My V60 Matias Quiet Click is extremely quiet -- perhaps quieter than my HHKB Pro 2 Type-S; the spacebar is definitely quieter than the one on the Type-S.

Gloss black could be a positive aesthetic for a keyboard case; perhaps if it were done by powder coating on metal it would not be prone to scratching.

Daniel Beardsmore

27 Dec 2014, 19:11

Ooo that sounds nice — gloss black metal.

deeyay: Could be anything — you'll have to show us once it arrives. Alps made those keyboards for years in lots of varieties and for lots of brands.

codehead

02 Mar 2015, 11:18

Hi Daniel, thanks for the review! My experiences with the board are quite the same really. But I love it! I bought the pre-"mass production" unit and I love it! The sound is rattling (but I love it too) and it's funny how it seems to come out from the keycaps. I just received the new Matias Mini Quiet Pro and even though the keycaps seem to "shake" as much as they do on Tactile Pro, there's absolutely no rattling. I'll see if I'll take time to write a review on it :)

Muirium
µ

02 Mar 2015, 11:21

Sounds like you're feeling the dampers. Quiet has them, click does not.

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Matias_switch

andrewjoy

02 Mar 2015, 12:11

The one on the left looks like Matias the other looks like a vintage alps.

Not a huge fan of the dampers , i prefer them removed or at least pushed up so they dampen the return but not the bottom out

Muirium
µ

02 Mar 2015, 12:42

Aye, I just needed a picture of what I was on about.

Of course, the clickies need dampers too!

jacobolus

02 Mar 2015, 17:31

Muirium wrote: Of course, the clickies need dampers too!
Just swap the metal leaves between clicky and tactile or linear switches. Both dampened clicky and undampened tactile/linear should be nice switches too.

Return to “Reviews”