Is Geekhack down?

wlhlm
~

30 Jun 2015, 16:01

Belfong wrote: I use Tapatalk, so in this stripped down version, both DT and GH are equally fast. I encourage all of you to use Tapatalk.
I don't have a good feeling using an app financed mainly by advertising and probably selling user data. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 16:03

I have Tapatalk, and only because I'm grandfathered in (no ads ever) but I really dislike how they are shifting people away from foums and to 'feeds' and whatnot.

Madhias
BS TORPE

30 Jun 2015, 16:11

It was very slow for me all the time, and got way worse when switching to https. At work we don't have a fast dedicated line, it is 4 Mbit up and down, and threads with lots of images (especially when pages of threads were now longer than before with more posts) loaded forever.

kebby

30 Jun 2015, 16:39

wlhlm wrote: I always blamed it on Geekhack being hosted in the US as opposed to Deskthority in Europe, but it looks like it's slow for everyone.
To be fair, being hosted in the US can have a major effect. HTTPS can also make it much slower since there will be more round trips involved and you should not use compression. I haven't found GH unreasonably slow but there's definitely noticeable delay when browsing from another continent.

otd.kr with their terrible link from Korea and browser-resized images (GH also has these) on the other hand...

Data

30 Jun 2015, 16:50

SL89 wrote: Despite the constant griping about DT and /r/MK from the Geekhack users what are the 2 safe havens now that GH is down. :roll:
Who gripes about DT? /r/MK, sure, but not DT.

You guys have persecution complex?

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 16:51

Usually the velocity (or lack thereof) of posts and replies. I was talking mostly about the IRC chatter.

Data

30 Jun 2015, 16:52

I wasn't even aware there was an IRC channel. Haven't used IRC in ages.

Sure enough, there it is, right there in the site menu. :shock:
Last edited by Data on 30 Jun 2015, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

henz

30 Jun 2015, 16:53

irc pwns

mr_a500

30 Jun 2015, 16:58

I haven't used IRC since 1996.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Jun 2015, 16:59

Seriously? IRC is the place to be.

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 17:15

#deskthority #geekhack and #mechboards all are the same people, but the IRC for each is closer to the actual forums. #deskthority is all !weather updates and little chatter aside from obscure / arcane questions, #geekhack is circlejerking and legit projects and #mechboards is off topic and beginner stuff.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Jun 2015, 17:15

I don't even know what IRC is :lol:

CLiB

30 Jun 2015, 17:19

i almost forgot IRC existed...

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

30 Jun 2015, 17:22

Well for the uninitiated, Numb3rs explains how hackers use IRC. :lol:

SL89

30 Jun 2015, 17:23

It's a pretty good hang most of the time.

mr_a500

30 Jun 2015, 17:36

Blaise170 wrote: Well for the uninitiated, Numb3rs explains how hackers use IRC. :lol:
Ohhh... two sail boats meeting in the middle of the ocean, with a rotating cube in the air. Now it all makes sense to me. :? :mrgreen:
bullshit.jpg
..but I've been sailing recently and I noticed that there's no way those boats could have their sails rigged like that. (The cube and floating nonsense mathematics are fine. I see that all the time when I sail.)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 19:08

I don't have the time and neurons to spare to search on reddit, does anybody know if there is a place where stuff related to running GH GB's is posted? I'm thinking at [ctrl]alt stuff for example. They (Bunny and co. ) never post on DT, and I don't have twatter and facethingy to follow them or stalk or whatever the term is :lol:

BlueBär

30 Jun 2015, 19:11

DanielT wrote: I don't have the time and neurons to spare to search on reddit, does anybody know if there is a place where stuff related to running GH GB's is posted? I'm thinking at [ctrl]alt stuff for example. They (Bunny and co. ) never post on DT, and I don't have twatter and facethingy to follow them or stalk or whatever the term is :lol:
https://ctrlalt.io/

compuguy

30 Jun 2015, 19:14

Blaise170 wrote: Well for the uninitiated, Numb3rs explains how hackers use IRC. :lol:
Yea well, I've seen more recent shows that have been worse in portraying technology *cough* CSI Cyber *Cough*

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

30 Jun 2015, 19:17

BlueBär wrote:
DanielT wrote: I don't have the time and neurons to spare to search on reddit, does anybody know if there is a place where stuff related to running GH GB's is posted? I'm thinking at [ctrl]alt stuff for example. They (Bunny and co. ) never post on DT, and I don't have twatter and facethingy to follow them or stalk or whatever the term is :lol:
https://ctrlalt.io/
That one I know, but the site is under construction for like forever .... nothing concrete

wlhlm
~

01 Jul 2015, 01:51

Some signs of life:

http://geekhack.org

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jul 2015, 02:03

I'm still not able to see anything, I just get an error.

inanis

01 Jul 2015, 02:12

You have to make sure you are not connecting over https. Also, if you haven't closed your browser from the last time it was online you will need to use a fresh browser session otherwise something may be cached.

wlhlm
~

01 Jul 2015, 02:13

Your browser redirects to HTTPS. Try Internet Explorer :evilgeek:

Deductivemonkee

01 Jul 2015, 02:41

Geekhack got ddos hackedon the 26th

webwit
Wild Duck

01 Jul 2015, 02:58

Reddit seems to be wavering.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

01 Jul 2015, 05:16

Yeah Reddit has been having some issues today. Maybe you will find some /r/mk refugees here today. :lol:

MayonaiseInstrument

01 Jul 2015, 05:23

That explains my frustration.

CommonCurt

01 Jul 2015, 05:26

wlhlm wrote: Some signs of life:

http://geekhack.org
Yay. Glad to see this.

wlhlm
~

01 Jul 2015, 09:08

webwit wrote:Reddit seems to be wavering.
Spoiler:
This is a regular occurrence on Reddit, nothing unusual, just reload the site...

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”