Cleaning keyboards

elecplus

24 Jul 2016, 16:18

If you get in really dirty keyboards like I do, I can recommend "Magic Erasers". No additional chemicals are needed; just dampen them and use a little elbow grease. They are not expensive; about $2 for 6 sponges at Wal-Mart or the dollar store. The brand does not seem to matter much. These are the results I get:
MemTel HiTek.JPG
MemTel HiTek.JPG (470.73 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Before Cleaning
IMG_5467.JPG
IMG_5467.JPG (599.32 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
After cleaning

IF anyone is interested, this board is for sale: https://www.elecshopper.com/index.php/m ... tches.html

hammelgammler
Vintage

24 Jul 2016, 17:05

I can confirm that a Magic Eraser works great. It's my method to clean very dirty keyboards. :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

24 Jul 2016, 17:09

These are also known as melamine foam pads. They are a mild abrasive and, yes, do work very well.

Some markings (most notably from a grease pencil) are best removed with the pad dry.

With excessive use the pad can scratch and damage what it is cleaning so be careful. It usually works well on Model M keyboards casings.

Chyros

24 Jul 2016, 19:51

Interesting, I've got a QKT video about cleaning keyboards, I'll have to look into these :D . Thanks for the tip!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Jul 2016, 19:56

Got pencil eraser and Isopropyl alcohol on your list?
The latter is a real life saver agains sharpie marks and glue residue from sticker legends. Doesn't melt ABS.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 Jul 2016, 21:14

I avoid using Magic Erasers unless done so very lightly. Anything beyond that and I use something else because they will change any texturing that may be on plastic or change the finish because they are a mild abrasive but are more abrasive as yo apply pressure. For marker or pen and even paint that may be applied for inventory purposes, I use brake fluid. For glue residue or stickers, I use "Goo Gone".

terrycherry

25 Jul 2016, 06:51

Very nice Black small eyes variant found on NMB PC122XT!
Could you mind to pull out all keycaps and took a photo of it? I have to know what variants switch it really has.

Return to “Keyboards”