EVA carry case, anyone?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jul 2016, 15:00

okay, I'm not a fan of carry cases for keyboards in general, but I'm pretty shocked by the low quality of most carry case/bags. What worse imho is that most carry bags don't actually protect the keyboard at all... even from light shock... let alone falls or water.

so I guess the question is, would there be interest in a very high quality, decently priced, EVA case for 60-ish keyboards? This is what we are talking about, just to be clear:

It would take some time but I could work with a manufacturer and have the most secure home for your carrying needs. (before you ask, no MD involved)

scottc

25 Jul 2016, 16:36

That would be cool. Whenever I go travelling I just take my HHKB because I've got its original box which pads it to an extent. This seems like a much better option though.

derzemel

25 Jul 2016, 16:48

This case looks very nice.
Do you have any more images?
From what materials will it be made?
Is it a hard plastic case with internal padding? or a hard foam/textile material, more like a DSLR camera carrying case.
I think it would be nice to have a one-size fits all case (from TKL downwards) with the possibility change the internal spacing with padded straps that have velcro on the ends.

Edit: I think some of the interested people would also enjoy a tablet pouch, so they can carry both of them in one case

andrewjoy

25 Jul 2016, 17:48

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jul 2016, 18:18

from TKL to 60% the size difference is huge and I hate to deal with with spare padding material. So the idea would be to create a 60% case first, if it works we would proceed with a TKL case.

The material is yet to be defined, could be a durable textile or a rigid plastic. In the inside some stuffing of course. I'd like to have at least a couple of color options too.

face

25 Jul 2016, 18:22

That sounds great, I would be interested!

HzFaq

25 Jul 2016, 22:12

I'd be down for a nice hard 60% case. I have one of the TKL ones from the Korean buy a few years back that's really good quality, much better than the Ducky sleeves I use for my smaller boards at the moment anyway. I think I actually shut it in my car door once and neither the case nor the board broke...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Jul 2016, 23:52

do any of you guys have less famous 60-ish keyboards? like those from TEX or the ducky mini. I would need exact dimensions.

face

26 Jul 2016, 08:23

If it would fit also the HHKB Pro BT that would be kinda nice. The battery makes it 1.1cm deeper, that's it.

derzemel

26 Jul 2016, 09:06

matt3o wrote: do any of you guys have less famous 60-ish keyboards? like those from TEX or the ducky mini. I would need exact dimensions.
Tex Yoda: 4.72 x 11.42 x 0.94 in (12 x 29 x 2.4 cm) - I believe that the 2.4cm height is without the screw in conical legs. These are the dimensions from Massdrop

Ducky Mini: 295(L)x102(W)x38(H) mm. According to the DuckyChannel webpage

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

26 Jul 2016, 09:41

Yes please! and TKL variants too please!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jul 2016, 10:25

face wrote: If it would fit also the HHKB Pro BT that would be kinda nice. The battery makes it 1.1cm deeper, that's it.
would you be able to measure it? I mean the whole keyboard
derzemel wrote: Tex Yoda: 4.72 x 11.42 x 0.94 in (12 x 29 x 2.4 cm) - I believe that the 2.4cm height is without the screw in conical legs. These are the dimensions from Massdrop

Ducky Mini: 295(L)x102(W)x38(H) mm. According to the DuckyChannel webpage
thanks for checking, but I would need real-life measurements. Those specs on the official website are often bullshit

derzemel

26 Jul 2016, 10:36

matt3o wrote: thanks for checking, but I would need real-life measurements. Those specs on the official website are often bullshit
Ok, just asked a guy on R/MK that has a Yoda to send me some measurements :)

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

26 Jul 2016, 10:57

I would be interested in one. What I have now are the soft type, because there is no other option. So I'm down for one.

face

26 Jul 2016, 11:04

matt3o wrote:
face wrote: If it would fit also the HHKB Pro BT that would be kinda nice. The battery makes it 1.1cm deeper, that's it.
would you be able to measure it? I mean the whole keyboard
Sure: it's 29.3cm x 12.0cm and the height from rubber pads to highest point of the keycaps is about 4.0cm on the back and 2.6cm on the front. If you need anything more don't hesitate.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jul 2016, 11:15

face wrote: Sure: it's 29.3cm x 12.0cm and the height from rubber pads to highest point of the keycaps is about 4.0cm on the back and 2.6cm on the front. If you need anything more don't hesitate.
thanks, that is extremely helpful.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jul 2016, 12:59

talking materials I'm exploring 1050D ballistic nylon

It's a "military grade" textile and possibly one of the best material we could use.

In the inside high density (polyester) velvet fabric instead.

face

26 Jul 2016, 13:34

Looks nice. The outside is not that important to me (although it should look alright and it should be a hard shell), but the inside should be protective and non-scratchy. A normal foam would do too, but that would be difficult in terms of shapes (but maybe you know a solution for this that I don't).

matt3o
-[°_°]-

26 Jul 2016, 14:05

padding would be foam of course. velvet would be the lining.

face

26 Jul 2016, 15:49

Ah, ok. Great!

Phenix
-p

29 Jul 2016, 19:07

Is the storaging of an cable planned?

face

29 Jul 2016, 19:41

On the HHKB version it would be a great option to put the USB-cable where the battery port is on the HHKB Pro BT!

I dislike it, when cases are to high. Usually you take it with you in a messenger or backpack and there the height/thickness is the problem, not the length or width. So it would be great if a cable would be stored behind a keyboard and not on top like seen on the picture in the first post. That would make the cushioning easier too, I think.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Jul 2016, 19:46

I would be interested in one for my Leopold FC660C depending on the pricetag.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Jul 2016, 20:30

Yes, I need that ;)

HHKB
Poker
Infinity 60%
Whitefox? Duuuuh

Phenix
-p

29 Jul 2016, 20:32

I would opt for 'normal' cotton coating as I have some problems witn certain materials (or best: interchangable inserts)

JanitorJoe

30 Jul 2016, 07:55

I'd be interested. Been looking for something like this and haven't been interested in the options I've seen so far. Hopefully I remember to checking this IC's progress.

One of the most important features to me would be that both the keyboard and USB cable are kept snugly in place and not able to move around at all. I'm glad you're starting with a strictly 60% case because too much additional space beyond what's needed for a HHKB and a USB cable would be a deal breaker for me since I'd plan to carry the case within a messenger bag.

chuckdee

30 Jul 2016, 11:00

matt3o wrote: (before you ask, no MD involved)
Just for this one? Or are you done with MD in general?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Jul 2016, 11:35

chuckdee wrote: Just for this one? Or are you done with MD in general?
just opening myself more options

chuckdee

30 Jul 2016, 12:14

Understood. Thanks for replying; just with the whitefox thread then this one , I wondered.

ifohancroft

19 Jan 2017, 17:29

I am very interested in a TKL version.
Any recent info on what is going on with the cases, @matt3o?

2020 Edit: I have since moved to 60% and hopefully soon to an ErgoDox. (Not that I don't still own a couple of TKLs).
If the cases end up happening count me in (ideally) for an ErgoDox one or at least for a 60% one (if of course you do end up making different versions for the different form factors).

Return to “Workshop”