The history of Cherry stabilisers

Rimrul

12 Oct 2016, 22:08

What do we know about the history of Cherry stabilisers?

When did Cherry stabilisers change from screw-in to clip-in?

My mid '98 1800 has clip-ins, that's currently my oldest G80.

Did both types coexist for a while?

Did Cherry start using them in their own keyboards and still offer the old type as a stand-alone product?
Did some OEM work with them on this for some exclusitivity deal (think MX speed)?

Was one of them more of a Hirose thing?
Did they start of with two types that boiled down into one common type (think plate mount vs. PCB mount)?

Would they still sell me newly made screw-in stabilisers if I ordered a large enough quantity (think MX Lock)?
Spoiler:
I think the answer to this one is officially no for now*, but maybe someone here knows more than me.

*If I paid a really large order for them upfront they'd probably even rebuild the machinery, but I'd probably have to pay at least 20% of their anual revenue upfront.
EDIT: Opened up my 1800. Added details.
Last edited by Rimrul on 13 Oct 2016, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Oct 2016, 23:41

I don't have any answers for you sorry, have you looked at this anyway?

wiki/Stabiliser

workshop-f7/cherry-corp-stabilizers-gim ... t2780.html

Rimrul

12 Oct 2016, 23:44

Yes.

chzel

13 Oct 2016, 00:03

Rimrul wrote: Would they still sell me newly made screw-in stabilisers if I ordered a large enough quantity (think MX Lock)?
Ivan had a GB for screw mount stabs about a year ago, so the answer is probably yes. (I can't remember if they were ordered from Cherry or GMK, but I think I remember GMK)

Rimrul

13 Oct 2016, 07:27

There are also MX lock GBs that pop up from time to time, but they are usually NOS. That reminds me, are the
wires interchangable?

chzel

13 Oct 2016, 08:26

If you mean the stabiliser wires, in general they are, with the exception of 6.25 wires. There are two variants, one straight, the other with a bend in the middle. If you use the bent with a plate it binds.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Oct 2016, 08:34

chzel wrote: If you use the bent with a plate it binds.
§$%&)/§$"%&"§$/&§$(%&"§$)(/§)%!!!!!!

chzel

13 Oct 2016, 14:54

Wodan wrote: §$%&)/§$"%&"§$/&§$(%&"§$)(/§)%!!!!!!
Been there, done that? :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Oct 2016, 15:24

chzel wrote:
Wodan wrote: §$%&)/§$"%&"§$/&§$(%&"§$)(/§)%!!!!!!
Been there, done that? :mrgreen:
Yesterday evening ... I actually replaced the space bar stabilizer wire in a fully assembled keyboard. Put so much love into the soldering job that I couldn't just desolder it! Wasted like 5 Cherry PCB stabilizer-assemblies in the process.

And then a few weeks before same thing with my beloved TX-CP ...

Rimrul

13 Oct 2016, 19:57

I'm mainly thinking about combining a stabiliser wire of a correct length snap-in spacebar stabiliser with screw-in plastic parts(PCB mount).

ideus

14 Oct 2016, 02:23

Are you aware that there is one GB for transparent screw type Cherry PCB mount stabs? They are expensive like hell, but if you want to get some it is your chance to.

Rimrul

15 Oct 2016, 13:52

Yeah, I have my eyes on a local G80-1800HXXDE and consider getting these, a bunch of zealio sliders, QMX clips and maybe some heavier springs for it. A nice little refurbishment/modding project without soldering that could turn into my main keyboard at home.

Return to “Keyboards”