Secret Santa 2016! Pairings sent! Shipping early November, e.g. NOW!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

13 Oct 2016, 17:57

andrewjoy wrote:
seebart wrote:
7bit wrote: I will not organise it this time, because you should at least get your Secret Santa stuff before Christmas 2016!
Sure you could organise it, for 2018. :evilgeek:

You mean 2020 :P
That's a flexible figure Andrew! But let's not flame 7bit too much. 7bot on the other hand... :evilgeek:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Oct 2016, 02:06

Count me in if it goes. I say existing member limit is 40 Euro. Non-member limit is 40 Euro plus a 12 Euro membership fee since you can't join unless you are a member ;)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

14 Oct 2016, 07:20

You can of course count me in, even if I think it is a bad idea to restrict the geographical location of giftees.

Thumper
knock knock

14 Oct 2016, 09:18

I'm in. Although i think it should be restriced with who you matched based on customs, since those are normally a PITA.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Oct 2016, 10:18

I'm in like Flynn!

For all you international shipping noobs, let me know if you need help filling in customs forms. You'll want CN22 forms and just declare "15$ Electronics spare parts" and rightfully mark them as gifts :)

Also play it smart and gift something small but nice. Check out your local postal rates for international padded-envelope shipping. I've been using the Deutsche Posts "Warenbrief International" for a while now with amazing results. 6€ tracked and insured WORLDWIDE - easily fits even large sets of custom keycaps. Not sure about SA though ;)

andrewjoy

14 Oct 2016, 10:28

Another tip is if your going to buy something is to buy it off a site in the country of where its going to , for example US amazon for US address.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 13:20

I can organize this. I'll post a signup form some time this week and announce matches a week or two thereafter. You'll have a week to ship after matches are posted. I want to start things early to leave plenty of time for issues.

If you want to participate: start thinking now about what you might want to gift and what your budget is.

y11971alex

17 Oct 2016, 20:18

Am I well known enough? :D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 20:19

y11971alex wrote: Am I well known enough? :D
Given that it is entirely my call, and that my process for deciding so is entirely arbitrary: we'll see! :twisted:

If you're responsive through the survey and through the assignment of giftees, and get a tracking number out in time, then you're fine. :D

chuckdee

17 Oct 2016, 20:33

Suggested Rules:
  • You must have 100 posts and be an active member. Do not spam to make the post requirement
    You must send your package with tracking
  • You can pick a region to ship within, but be aware that you will be dropped if there's no one to pair you with.
    Each person will be paired up with one other person.
  • You must mark your package as from Secret Santa. Remember, this is a surprise.
  • You must post pictures. It's a huge bummer when someone gets a Secret Santa gift and doesn't acknowledge it.
  • All Santa pairings will be revealed on (insert date here)
  • Santa gifts should be opened on (insert date here)
  • Sign up lasts until (insert date here) and packages must be shipped no later than (insert date here).
  • Range for gifts is (insert range). The minimum is a hard limit, but the maximum is at your discretion.
  • Sign ups should include some sort of hints as to the types of things you enjoy. This is not a directive; it's just to give ideas so you don't get something that is useless to you.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

17 Oct 2016, 20:54

Very good sugestion :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 21:01

https://goo.gl/forms/k95VPD6EmnVzgnuB2

I like chuckdee's suggestions for the most part. I suggest mailing to an actual name instead of Secret Santa if shipping overseas. If you want to receive a package to Secret Santa note that in your shipping address or notes.

Please don't open gifts until December 23rd, the traditional celebration of Festivus.

Halvar

17 Oct 2016, 21:53

chuckdee wrote: Suggested Rules:
I agree with the other rules, but pairing 1:1 is a bit boring IMO. I don't want to know beforehand who my gift will come from.

Nuum

17 Oct 2016, 22:02

^This

Also what do you mean by "mailing to an actual name instead of Secret Santa"? Putting your real name in the senders address in case of the package getting sent back?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 22:05

Nuum wrote: Also what do you mean by "mailing to an actual name instead of Secret Santa"? Putting your real name in the senders address in case of the package getting sent back?
Pretty much. I imagine some countries that could require showing ID to get your package, or something like this.

When filling out the form please make sure to include your real name either in the address or in comments "just in case". I can serve as an intermediary if there are any mailing issues. I hope to not have to do this.

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Oct 2016, 23:37

kbdfr wrote:
I think it is a bad idea to restrict the geographical location of giftees.
International postage from the US for a hefty keyboard probably exceeds price ceiling.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Oct 2016, 23:39

If you don't want to ship internationally, note so when you complete the form!

Depending on how things shake out there may be a couple of cycles of gifts, instead of one big cycle.

chuckdee

17 Oct 2016, 23:39

Halvar wrote:
chuckdee wrote: Suggested Rules:
I agree with the other rules, but pairing 1:1 is a bit boring IMO. I don't want to know beforehand who my gift will come from.
I'd meant that you'd only get one pairing, not that the matches would be the same.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Oct 2016, 13:28

Six responses so far! Keep them coming!

https://goo.gl/forms/k95VPD6EmnVzgnuB2

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Oct 2016, 14:21

Just signed up! Thanks for doing this XMIT

andrewjoy

18 Oct 2016, 14:30

Signed up , club membership was paid about 5 mins ago so wont show on DT yet

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

18 Oct 2016, 15:14

Also signed up.

chzel

18 Oct 2016, 15:32

In!

alh84001
v.001

18 Oct 2016, 15:34

ditto

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Oct 2016, 16:23

Unfortunately Im not going to join, international shipping is such a pain. Ill just do the santa on geekhack, because the majority of people are in the US.

chuckdee

18 Oct 2016, 16:37

mike52787 wrote: Unfortunately Im not going to join, international shipping is such a pain. Ill just do the santa on geekhack, because the majority of people are in the US.
You did see that you can limit yourself regionally right? That's what I did. The same thing happens on Geekhack- you tell whether you will do international shipping.

y11971alex

18 Oct 2016, 16:39

mike52787 wrote: Unfortunately Im not going to join, international shipping is such a pain. Ill just do the santa on geekhack, because the majority of people are in the US.
I have not noticed this thread on GH.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

18 Oct 2016, 16:43

Wow, Im blind. thanks guys, Im in.

chuckdee

18 Oct 2016, 16:47

y11971alex wrote:
It's not for sure on. Nubbs got shafted on the Summer Santa trying to make up for slackers, and he said that either the Summer Santa or this Christmas would be his last.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Oct 2016, 16:59

y11971alex wrote:
This is why there is the international shipping *choice*. I'm in the US and want to include people in the US.

There will likely be the US-group and the Euro-group for gift exchanges. If we get enough people who are willing to send gifts overseas I may be able to link the two groups.

No, there is no GH link because, well, I guess I'm more active here.

To be clear - I'm not making up for anyone. If something gets lost in the mail that's just sad, and I recommend shipping insured, but I'm not really planning on filling in the gaps. (I may, we'll see.) If someone flakes out I recommend flaming them publicly. Backing out with notice is fine! Backing out without notice is being a jerk.

If someone becomes unresponsive around shipping time I may just remove them from the list. :twisted:

Return to “Keyboards”