Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

Ail

29 Jan 2017, 18:50

Hey, just want to reiterate I have an outstanding order of $65 someone placed with no information on their invoice, or username, and therefore I am unable to send the bot an invoice update that you have paid. If anyone here made a $65 purchase recently please PM me. The only other information I have is a name and e-mail, neither of which I will disclose here.

7bit if you are able to see messages the bot receives and can identify the user by name and e-mail, PM me I will give you their information.

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 18:50

chuckdee wrote:
7bit wrote: I can't stop anyone from making yet another space cadet legends clone, like I did. But should SP produce the legends I created without my permission, they are in trouble.

I did not exactly copy the legends, but in some way improved them. Just compare them to the original and you will see the differences.
Seems like it would be covered under the same protections as fonts. Did you register them for protection?
Fonts do not have protection, only their names do.

chuckdee

29 Jan 2017, 19:02

zslane wrote: Yes, 7bit enjoys IP ownership of the digital art files that he sent to SP. But any one of us could draw our own version of those same legends and we'd own that digital version. I'm not sure how that really protects anyone's design; all it does is protect a particular disk file from unlawful duplication/re-use.

BTW, I think you'd be disappointed by the contract between SP and 7bit, as I doubt there is one. At least, not in the form of a legal document that was signed by both parties. Hell, even MassDrop didn't have anything like that for designers until late last year. The only "contract" that likely exists between 7bit and SP is one of customer (7bit) and goods provider (SP). They are obligated to produce the goods he orders, and he is obligated to pay according to the terms of the invoice(s) they send. That's all.

There is, I'm sure, a document somewhere at SP that lays out the ownership terms of any custom tooling paid for by a customer, as this is required in order to do business with large commercial and industrial clients. But I'd be surprised if 7bit actually signed anything; I'm sure he simply falls under the standard terms that all SP clients do.
Without legal documents towards that effect... he is entitled to the IP, but that would be a fight in court. It's best not to assume legally that these things are so, which was the reason I asked if he'd filed for the same.

As far as what it does? As much as anything legally done does- and that is based on several factors once you get to court. But it's better than nothing. People have sued over the use of cloned fonts and such before, and won. And others have lost. Some examples, and a bit more into the use if IPs over typefaces/fonts.

http://intellectual-property.lawyers.co ... fonts.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... uit-351823

http://digitalcommons.law.uga.edu/cgi/v ... ntext=jipl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellect ... _typefaces

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 19:11

Relevant quote from Wikipedia:
In the United States, the shapes of typefaces are not copyrightable, though the shapes may be protected by design patent.
As soon as someone from the community files for, and is granted, a U.S. design patent for their keycap legends, come back and we'll talk about this some more.

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 19:34

Last edited by zslane on 29 Jan 2017, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

maximm

29 Jan 2017, 19:53

HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/T (ALPHA small no vbslash | $36)
HONEYB/INTERBASE/SPH (Inter base (no 1 4 5) | $25)

Are these two compatible?

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 19:59

Compatible in what sense?

maximm

29 Jan 2017, 20:02

That they match in profile, I was looking at the Spherical part.

chuckdee

29 Jan 2017, 20:04

zslane wrote: Relevant quote from Wikipedia:
In the United States, the shapes of typefaces are not copyrightable, though the shapes may be protected by design patent.
As soon as someone from the community files for, and is granted, a U.S. design patent for their keycap legends, come back and we'll talk about this some more.
From the same article:
A legal precedent was set in the case of Adobe Systems, Inc. v. Southern Software, Inc. (SSI).[12] SSI had used the FontMonger program to copy and rename fonts from Adobe and others.[12] They assumed safety from prosecution because, though they had directly copied the points that define the shapes from Adobe's fonts, they had made slight adjustments to all the points so they were not technically identical.[12] Nevertheless, it was determined that the computer code had been copied.[12][16]
The files that he sent would seem to be considered code and would be considered copied, from precedent. But hey, neither of us are lawyers, so it would seem that your pat dismissal might not be so.

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 20:07

maximm wrote: That they match in profile, I was looking at the Spherical part.
Yes, all sets are profile-compatible regardless of color.

maximm

29 Jan 2017, 20:15

Ok, so let me be more specific
Are

the same profile and color?
I need some of the keys from the inter to fill an ISO board properly. I dont find it a problem that the inter keys do not have cadet legends, or that the vbslash is missing since im going for ISO
Last edited by maximm on 29 Jan 2017, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 20:19

Correct. The only deepdish keys are the F, J, and numpad 5, and they are meant to work just fine with all the other (non-deepdish) keys.

maximm

29 Jan 2017, 20:23

Thanks zslane. Going to combine them with some Troubled Minds Grab Bag keys i have left. Already tried them with my old alphas.

7bit

29 Jan 2017, 20:28

maximm wrote: Ok, so let me be more specific
Are

the same profile and color?
I need some of the keys from the inter to fill an ISO board properly. I dont find it a problem that the inter keys do not have cadet legends, or that the vbslash is missing since im going for ISO
Yes, and the INTER keys go very well with the too small legends of HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/T.
:cool:

Some pages back, I've posted a photo showing them ...

7bit

29 Jan 2017, 20:32

chuckdee wrote: ... People have sued over the use of cloned fonts and such before, and won. And others have lost. Some examples, and a bit more into the use if IPs over typefaces/fonts.

You can clone them. I did. But you can't use the same tools, because this implies to use the same source.

I even cloned SP's font to make sure new text legends go well with existing ones.

zslane

29 Jan 2017, 20:40

chuckdee wrote: The files that he sent would seem to be considered code and would be considered copied, from precedent.
Right, but the violation in question was that of replicating a digital file (a font file) and its vector values.

As a general rule, the shapes of letters can not be copyrighted. But a digital file with points in exactly the same cartesian positions as another digital file is a different matter, and certainly not what I'm talking about when I talk about a typeface design.

chuckdee

29 Jan 2017, 21:48

7bit wrote:
chuckdee wrote: ... People have sued over the use of cloned fonts and such before, and won. And others have lost. Some examples, and a bit more into the use if IPs over typefaces/fonts.

You can clone them. I did. But you can't use the same tools, because this implies to use the same source.

I even cloned SP's font to make sure new text legends go well with existing ones.
That ruling would seem to disagree with that assessment. But I'm not a lawyer, though I can say from experience, what goes for the law in the courtroom is based on precedent and the particular judge, and nothing else.

7bit

29 Jan 2017, 22:08

IMPORTANT:

If you have ALGOL preorder but did not pay for it, then somehow it can happen that I forget to ship your already paid Round 6 keys. Please pm me if this is the case..

However, I'm getting through these orders within the next few days and pack and ship those orders.

If in doubt and want everything shippable shipped, just tell 7bot:
SHIPNOW

breusch91

30 Jan 2017, 04:32

hey, interested in placing an order for extras taht are available in Round 6. Tried pming 7bit but about this. I saw all the hoopla with SP not expecting to be able to produce these again within the next year. Does that information apply to the Round 6 extras (since it states still in production), or are they being produced now and my order for one of the extra sets will actually be fulfilled soon and not over a year from now?

zslane

30 Jan 2017, 04:46

It depends on which leftovers you are referring to. Which colors are you interested in?

If you are talking about BLUE, SPH gray, VIOLETT, or CREAM, then you're in luck; they are available right now. However, if you are talking about WHITE, GREY, BLACK, or RED, then current estimates are those won't be available until around this time next year at the earliest.

On the other hand, to make matters even more confusing, the Round 5 leftovers of WHITE, GREY, BLACK, or RED are available now, of course. You can tell the difference between Round 5 and Round 6 leftovers by the first part of the item tag. If it says HONEY, then it is Round 5 leftovers (available); if it says HONEYB, then it is Round 6 leftovers (not produced yet).
Last edited by zslane on 30 Jan 2017, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

beamingrobot

30 Jan 2017, 05:02

7bit, sent you a PM :D

7bit

30 Jan 2017, 10:46

We are closing in: $6582.4 are missing.

If each of the 372 people waiting for phase 2 keys would order keys worth $18, we are done.

phinix

30 Jan 2017, 11:43

7bit wrote: We are closing in: $6582.4 are missing.

If each of the 372 people waiting for phase 2 keys would order keys worth $18, we are done.

Cool, I'm, doing my share in it - I just sent you a PM. I saw you already added those grey alphas to my order - I picked other kits for it too, please confirm you still have them?

Is HONEY/ALPHA/GREY/NFJ and HONEYB/UK/SPH in same grey color?

hansichen

30 Jan 2017, 11:48

Sph and grey should be different. One of them is way darker than the other

souldsnake

30 Jan 2017, 11:54

I done a lot,hope everybody else do the same. :lol:
and check Ur mail pls.

7bit

30 Jan 2017, 12:05

Yes, indeed!

Thanks souldsnake!
:ugeek:

7bit

30 Jan 2017, 12:12

phinix wrote:

Cool, I'm, doing my share in it - I just sent you a PM. I saw you already added those grey alphas to my order - I picked other kits for it too, please confirm you still have them?

No.

phinix

30 Jan 2017, 12:15

7bit wrote:
phinix wrote:

No.
That's ok, I'll order it anyway:) I want to help gathering money to release phase 2.
I have a feeling that SP will restart phase2 as soon as they get the money, not wait till 2018... 8-)

EDIT: just ordered some more bits for over $120.

Common guys, chip in! :D

7bit

30 Jan 2017, 12:23

Hint: HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/S (US-layout) and HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/T (ISO-layout) are matching in color and legend size with HONEYB/UK/SPH.
;-)

phinix

30 Jan 2017, 12:27

7bit wrote: Hint: HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/S (US-layout) and HONEYB/ALPHA/CADET/T (ISO-layout) are matching in color and legend size with HONEYB/UK/SPH.
;-)
I know, but don't really like those symbols over letters in cadet alphas.

7bit, you said you have grey spacebars in 6.25 - I couldn't find it on leftover list.
Can you please let me know the code for it so I could add to my order?

Return to “Group buys”