Goupil G4 - Cherry G80 0518

Orpheo

19 Mar 2017, 13:08

So I got this wonderful keyboard. I slightly cleaned the caps. I'd love to use it, hope someone got it figured out already ^^.
Please someone could point me in the right direction to make this work! I don't want to just plug it in and fry something!

The windowed caps are doubleshot! Never saw one like this. The doubleshots seem from a different mold than those of OG Cherry french mold. I love it really.

Put some colored keys

Vintage blacks, they are good to type on. Nice windowed doubleshots keycaps. I can't wait to see the red lights.

Metal plate mounted, the case is a really dark grey and rather thin, but it's beveled shape make is quite rigid and solid. This keyboard was made in 1985!

The enter keys was seriously damaged like someone put acid on it. I wet sanded it with soap and 1000 grit.
Anyone knows the cable color code for this keyboard please?

And the PCB with some kind of nasty coating I didn't care to clean.

This is the Goupil G4 keyboard, made in France??? Hehe!

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

19 Mar 2017, 14:35

Congratls! Nice board!
Same you. This is first times I see this windowed caps.
These colorful caps(Red Control, Blue Shift, Purple Alt & Dark Grey ESC) isn't OG caps?

Orpheo

19 Mar 2017, 14:54

Thanks! Control keycap is from GMK Ceresia, Blue shifts & esc from GMK Bluegaloo, Alt from GMK Purple mods!

Ratfink

19 Mar 2017, 16:25

Orpheo wrote: And the PCB with some kind of nasty coating I didn't care to clean.
Not nasty, and don't clean it off! It's a conformal coating, which serves to moisture-proof the PCB.

zslane

19 Mar 2017, 17:01

Neat! Technically speaking, your windowed caps are triple-shot.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 Mar 2017, 17:10

zslane wrote: Neat! Technically speaking, your windowed caps are triple-shot.
They look more like someone drilled a hole into them and filled that with clear plastic.

zslane

19 Mar 2017, 17:29

I would bet good money that the lenses were added by machinery, the same way the legends were.

Menuhin

19 Mar 2017, 17:48

Dang, all these Goupil boards look good!

They're 20+ years ahead of the similar custom Korean case designs - of course the later are in CNC aluminium / acrylic.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Mar 2017, 17:52

It's definitely odd, as Cherry G80 windowed keycaps generally use a long top/front rectangular window, which in my case at least formed the second shot of the double-shot moulding:

(Image from my [wiki]Cherry G80-3700[/wiki]HAU, that was mostly double-shot, but had pad-printed windowed and relegendable keys.)

Those Goupil keycaps appear to be normal doubleshots drilled afterwards. I don't know why — maybe Goupil stipulated that there be no pad printing, forcing Cherry to find another way to get an LED window.

Orpheo

19 Mar 2017, 22:17

Thanks for all inputs. I won't clean the varnish then ^^
As for the led lens yes they are added after wards, it's as if they are socketed and cannot fall downward.
I saw right away those are not triple shots but just really look at it now. The drilling technique is not so simple though. It doesn't seem to be drilled from underneath but from above of the cap. Then maybe a reamer was used in order for the plastic lens to fit snugly in this tapered hole.

As for the design the beveled case is awesome on my desk! Wish the new CNC modern custom designers could use some lessons from past keydoms.

cmoscmos

07 Aug 2017, 20:41

hi !

i 've got a GOUPIL G4 without keyboard;
the UC keyboard connector is à RJ11 ?? RJ45 ??

is PS2 keyboard compatible , how can i nodify it ?
does anyone knows the pins configuration ?

tanks , bye

henri

riri6858@free.fr

hansichen

07 Aug 2017, 22:58

I guess I'm a bit late to the party but as the Necro is already done you can hopefully forgive me :P

My G80-0418 has old "windowed" caps too but they only have drilled holes. I would suspect that this board was done after mine and at that time Cherry tried better ways to have these windowed caps and this one one way to do it. Later they probably cut it for the modern style as it should be way easier to produce.

Orpheo

18 Aug 2017, 19:28

Sorry I cannot help for the wiring. I sold the board to a gentleman in China.
Interesting about the sole drilling on previous version!
Cheers!

Return to “Gallery”