Replacements for HHKB Spacebar

BPX-926

10 Jun 2017, 21:33

I have ordered a white HHKB. I do not have spare white spacebars. I have some spare black ones.

I cannot see spare official white spacebars anywhere. If you know where I can get them, please tell me.

On eBay I see there are PBT spacebars. I know these are not real PFU made spacebars.

Has anyone here bought one of these PBT spacebars? Are they good quality?

Laser
emacs -nw

10 Jun 2017, 22:15

Your ebay link seems fishy (maybe it's rather a copy paste issue combined with the language barrier) , since it mentions both ABS and PBT as material for those spacebars.

Here's another link: https://kbdfans.cn/products/topre-pbt-6u-spacebar (but, read the review)

Usually you would *want* PBT, because (as I'm sure you know) the material doesn't easily yellow with time; the "real PFU" spacebars are ABS (even if the rest of the keys are PBT), and people usually try to buy a PBT replacement. The thing is, it's harder to make PBT spacebars, since they "warp" more easily in the process - and I read that even when buying from Massdrop, some people got somewhat warped spacebars ... so you're right to worry. I would risk it though, since I don't think any "official" source exists.

BPX-926

12 Jun 2017, 20:15

Thank you for your considered and thorough reply. I have read the listing more carefully and I see what you are referring to. I do not know if these spacebars are ABS or PBT. It is impossible to be sure.

That review changes my mind on this. I think I will avoid PBT spacebars from now on. I am happy with yellowing or shine over warped. I will perhaps buy one if my ABS official spacebar ever needs replaced.

Am I correct in thinking that IBM Model M use PBT spacebars? Is there any information about how they have overcome the warping?

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Jun 2017, 22:34

It's not that *all* PBT spacebars are warped (I have some from Matt3o, and they are perfect), it's just that it's hard to control the process, so you have to throw out the ones that don't come up ok. I suspect IBM did just that, kept the good ones, dumped the bad ones ... (which after all translates in a more expensive product)

Return to “Keyboards”