IBM Model AT With OG APL Key Caps

JP!

28 Jul 2017, 03:24

I just got this in the mail today. This keyboard came from an eBay listing which was recently featured in the Marketplace under External Finds. This is now the cleanest AT that I own. I filled in 4 keys from a new Unicomp APL set. Can you guess which ones?

Some of the keys in the Unicomp set are nice, but some have some odd alignment issues and the orange APL keys are too faint. I was a really let down by the quality. Many of the keys I will use for another project and likely will offer the other APL specific keys up for sale.
1a.JPG
1a.JPG (238.78 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (263.45 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
2a.JPG
2a.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 4276 times
3b.JPG
3b.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4276 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (33.79 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Last edited by JP! on 28 Jul 2017, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

nsmechkb

28 Jul 2017, 03:49

Really nice score! Had no idea the APL caps on this were so vibrant. Also nice to see how you filled in the few gaps that the seller left. Great work!

j0d1

28 Jul 2017, 17:07

JP! wrote: I just got this in the mail today. This keyboard came from an eBay listing which was recently featured in the Marketplace under External Finds.
So you're the one that bid on the AT I wanted.
But... but... I posted an ASCII art pic of a cat stating to let me win this AT... :cry:
JP! wrote: This is now the cleanest AT that I own.
... AND YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE !? :evil:

In all seriousness, congrats on the win, it's a beautiful keyboard.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jul 2017, 17:34

Damn fine AT with those keycaps. Congrats!

JP!

28 Jul 2017, 18:27

j0d1 wrote:
JP! wrote: I just got this in the mail today. This keyboard came from an eBay listing which was recently featured in the Marketplace under External Finds.
So you're the one that bid on the AT I wanted.
But... but... I posted an ASCII art pic of a cat stating to let me win this AT... :cry:
JP! wrote: This is now the cleanest AT that I own.
... AND YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE !? :evil:

In all seriousness, congrats on the win, it's a beautiful keyboard.
Hey, sorry about that. I guess I didn't notice your ASCII art cat pic. I honesty didn't think I had the slightest chance to win it as I didn't put in a crazy high bid. Since it was in clean shape plus those caps, I really couldn't pass it up.
I-suck-im-sorry.jpg
I-suck-im-sorry.jpg (31.97 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

j0d1

28 Jul 2017, 19:28

Hehe don't worry, it won't be the last AT on eBay.
Next one is mine! :evilgeek:

Touch_It

28 Jul 2017, 19:45

Awesome looking board. I really want one for my office. Nice and compact. Any plans on modifying the BAE?

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 19:55

No need to apologise for anything JP!. Same thing happened sooo many times before here...

JP!

28 Jul 2017, 20:00

Touch_It wrote: Awesome looking board. I really want one for my office. Nice and compact. Any plans on modifying the BAE?
No plan at this time to change out the enter key on this particular AT. I have not done that mod before but am planning to do that on a project AT that I have been lazily working on.
j0d1 wrote: Hehe don't worry, it won't be the last AT on eBay.
Next one is mine! :evilgeek:
I see at least two nice ones on eBay currently. I hope you can get one. Although one can never have too many AT's :evilgeek:

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 20:01

JP! wrote: Although one can never have too many AT's :evilgeek:
Well I only got one. Just gimme a few... :mrgreen: :evilgeek:

JP!

28 Jul 2017, 20:32

seebart wrote:
JP! wrote: Although one can never have too many AT's :evilgeek:
Well I only got one. Just gimme a few... :mrgreen: :evilgeek:
at.png
at.png (368.37 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 20:33

:o :lol:

j0d1

28 Jul 2017, 22:07

JP! wrote: I see at least two nice ones on eBay currently.
Yes I need to be a little bit more proactive and ask sellers from ebay.com if they would ship to Canada.
Right now I'm monitoring ebay.ca.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

01 Aug 2017, 05:00

Ahhh! I''m in the same boat as j0d1 - seems a lot of us were in on the bidding war for this one, haha. >_<

Congrats though! Glad it went to a community member!

Mr.Nobody

01 Aug 2017, 07:00

AT becomes harder and harder to get...Not a single one has shown up on Taobao for months...Congrats JP.

JP!

09 Dec 2017, 00:50

So when I bought this keyboard it was missing 3 of the APL keys. I filled those in with replacements from a new Unicomp set which looked OK and provided me a bunch of other keys I needed for another project. A few months later I stumble across someone selling a partial set of APL keys. I instantly recognized that one of the sets was an exact match to mine. I was fortunately able to convince the seller to sell me 3 keys from the set.

Here are the results.
apl1.JPG
apl1.JPG (240.87 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
apl2.JPG
apl2.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3917 times

cucgach

09 Dec 2017, 02:43

Congratulation ! You're definitely have a good luck finding those keys..

Return to “Gallery”