Great/Interesting Finds

Ir0n

15 Mar 2018, 23:06

It looks like something very hot was laying on top of it for a bit..like maybe a light or something and it was inches above the door cover.

I think it'd be a safe bet that the PCB is okay ..I'd love to see someone save it.

tron

15 Mar 2018, 23:07

webwit wrote: You could probably salvage at least 50 beam spring switches from that keyboard. Some keycaps too. Sell them on the echo bay for profit. :evilgeek:
I wouldn't bet on that. In the description it lists some keys that are stuck or have slow release. Some of the keys listed appear to have avoided cosmetic heat damage yet the switches aren't functioning properly (arrow keys for example).

ekeppel

15 Mar 2018, 23:08

Ir0n wrote: It looks like something very hot was laying on top of it for a bit..like maybe a light or something and it was inches above the door cover.

I think it'd be a safe bet that the PCB is okay ..I'd love to see someone save it.
It's possible, but the photos of the bottom show leakage of whatever damaged the board to begin with. If it's just melted plastic, then fine, but if it's residue from some caustic chemical, then that PCB could be etched beyond belief.

tron

15 Mar 2018, 23:09

Ir0n wrote: It looks like something very hot was laying on top of it for a bit..like maybe a light or something and it was inches above the door cover.

Look at the hole in the space bar. Could that be from an ember? Perhaps it was in a small fire or something.

Ir0n

15 Mar 2018, 23:13

ekeppel wrote:

It's possible, but the photos of the bottom show leakage of whatever damaged the board to begin with. If it's just melted plastic, then fine, but if it's residue from some caustic chemical, then that PCB could be etched beyond belief.
The reason I don't think it's chemical damage is the cover. If it was able to melt those caps like that it'd have no issue eating that cover. The cover on those are plastic aren't they?

But maybe very little of w/e chemical it was got on the cover IF it was a chemical that is..

;S

Noobmaen

15 Mar 2018, 23:17

The 3279 has a painted metal cover I think, not entirely sure if it's cast zinc

ekeppel

15 Mar 2018, 23:20

So I guess it all comes down to how much abuse IBM's conformal coating can take. :-/

Ir0n

15 Mar 2018, 23:22

Noobmaen wrote: The 3279 has a painted metal cover I think, not entirely sure if it's cast zinc
If that's the case It throws my theory out the window.
Lol

JP!

15 Mar 2018, 23:29

The cover where the manual goes is plastic but the case is some kind of metal.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Mar 2018, 23:34

digital_matthew

15 Mar 2018, 23:45

Ir0n wrote:
Noobmaen wrote: The 3279 has a painted metal cover I think, not entirely sure if it's cast zinc
If that's the case It throws my theory out the window.
Lol
I wouldn't worry. If you buy it you can use the included Problem Solving Guide to figure out what happened. 8-)

JP!

15 Mar 2018, 23:56

Also don't forget the Geiger counter.

Ir0n

16 Mar 2018, 00:01

Meh..open a ticket with IBM tech support.

https://www.ibm.com/support/home/

orihalcon

16 Mar 2018, 00:23

Here’s my $0.02. All stock 3278’s and 3279’s have plastic doors as far as I am aware from what I’ve seen in pictures and the ones I’ve seen in person.

To me, looks like an extremely hot substance (apparently hot enough to melt keycaps which normally can withstand at least 60 degrees Celsius which is the temp I have cleaned some at) was dripped onto it. Explains the round hole in the spacebar and running plastic down some of the white keys and dripped down. There is a good chance that it was hot enough to melt the stems too which would explain the seized movement. You can also see the brown residue of whatever was dripping at the underside front bottom. Gravity would have pulled the liquid down the slope of the barrel plate.

As far as the door not being melted, it is painted on the top surface and has a texture layer below it that is similar to a model F122 top case texture coat that is hard/resilient, but brittle and cracks easily. Might be somewhat resistant to heat though. I only know this because I have one that I tried to take the old paint off in order to repaint one and still looking for the right chemical to get that coating off.

mannoso

16 Mar 2018, 03:34

Just to keep up with the crazy prices trend:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Cherry-ErgoPlus ... 2397c447ad

He's also selling a ANSI WYSE:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Wyse-840358-01- ... 2397c47254

FXT
XT

16 Mar 2018, 04:15

Seriously clean looking F AT with a starting bid of $0.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1980s-IBM- ... SwTmtaqvHD

OldIsNew

16 Mar 2018, 04:59

Sorry if this has already been posted but:

Check out the space bar. Molten lava maybe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Keyboard-f ... 3b0561bc37

“Great collector's project .Please review pictures and description before purchase.”

Whatever - these prices are so out of control that I can't even really care anymore.

FXT
XT

16 Mar 2018, 05:46

Yeah it's been posted, he's had it up for auction twice already with a starting bid of $500. No takers either time so he gets the idea that he should put it up with a $750 BIN when nobody had any interest at $500. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell it?

Sangdrax

16 Mar 2018, 05:49

I would totally buy it for a hundred bucks. I got a set of selectric caps to replace the melted bits and even at $15 a switch for replacements, you could probably get it up and running for about $300 total. But at $750 they are insane.

JP!

16 Mar 2018, 05:55

Didn't this same seller get $1k for another that had some burn damage?

orihalcon

16 Mar 2018, 14:29

Yeah another did go for 1K but that one appeared to have have had a hot metal object placed on top of it with probable superficial damage only as those keys were all noted to work in the description. That one only had 3 keys with movement issues. This current one has 16 keys listed with movement issues and obvious hot liquid damage dripping through to the underside. Spacebar is also destroyed which I don’t think can be taken from a selectric as I believe it is a different size?

Sangdrax

16 Mar 2018, 14:37

orihalcon wrote: Spacebar is also destroyed which I don’t think can be taken from a selectric as I believe it is a different size?
Spacebar is swappable on my 3278 from a Selectric II, same width and mounts though the material is a lot thinner.

andrewjoy

16 Mar 2018, 15:12

You think there is a chance he will sell the book for like 6 quid ?

mine has some pages missing :(
mannoso wrote:
He's also selling a ANSI WYSE:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Wyse-840358-01- ... 2397c47254

Check out that shine man ! That thing is so expensive BUT!!! If its been used that much that thing will be buttery smooth.

orihalcon

16 Mar 2018, 15:45

Sangdrax wrote:
orihalcon wrote: Spacebar is also destroyed which I don’t think can be taken from a selectric as I believe it is a different size?
Spacebar is swappable on my 3278 from a Selectric II, same width and mounts though the material is a lot thinner.
Does the selectric have a spot for the stabilizer to go though?

idlethock

16 Mar 2018, 16:12

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1998224776

Not sure if this was posted yet but here you go
Leading Edge board

wobbled

16 Mar 2018, 17:09

Interested to see what the dc 2014 goes for as I have one USB converted internally and in pretty nice condition

y11971alex

16 Mar 2018, 19:09

orihalcon wrote:
Sangdrax wrote:
Does the selectric have a spot for the stabilizer to go though?
I think the selectric spacebar is mounted on two stems like the beam spring; the shape though per my recollection has curvature on the bottom edge rather than straight like beam springs that I had.

III

16 Mar 2018, 21:07

Cherry MX Blacks with extremely nice SP doubleshots... Expensive though since the server comes with it.

https://www.recycledgoods.com/grass-val ... ard-as-is/

JP!

16 Mar 2018, 21:24

129 IBM Card Data Recorder (1971) - $1000
https://orlando.craigslist.org/bfs/d/12 ... 67796.html
00M0M_8YbALBIJvwZ_600x450.jpg
00M0M_8YbALBIJvwZ_600x450.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 4837 times

E TwentyNine

16 Mar 2018, 21:33

JP! wrote: 129 IBM Card Data Recorder (1971) - $1000
That actually seems a very reasonable price.

Return to “Other external”