Planning on buying a domain for keyboard purposes

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 17:05

Can't decide what would be easy to remember, relevant, and hopefully not too long. I'm currently considering blaise170.com, blaise-kb.com, and blaise-keyboards.com. Any suggestions what else I should use or which of these sound better? ;)

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 17:08

how about blaise.kbd

?

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Mar 2018, 17:10

Too late...
http://blai.se/

j0d1

06 Mar 2018, 17:15

I like blaise-keyboards.com :

* Full "keyboards" word tells exactly what it is about.
* A .com address, not some funky extension.

depletedvespene

06 Mar 2018, 17:18

I concur with j0d1's assessment. Also, no unnecessary abbreviations makes the domain's name easier to remember and to roll off the tongue. Also, who around here may actually need to type a few less characters to begin with?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 17:19

Already own numerous blaise domains including blaise.xyz (primary) as well as funkier extensions like blaise.cz, blaise.gq, blaise.ga, etc. Wanting something a bit more relevant for these purposes though, specifically keyboard related, and something that plays nice with Google (specifically .com, .org, .net, etc.).

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 17:34

Well if we are talking classic top level domains it should be .org ( i hate the new whatever you fecking like TLD too, but hey when in rome)

.com is for company .net is for network providers .org is for orgs like this one or for individuals .

So DT should not be .net it should be .org.

And whist i am on it why are most local websites .co.xx ( .co.uk for example ) why did they not use .org.uk .net.uk .gov.uk ( ok i guess they do use that one)

Was the whole idea of top level domains not to give you an idea what the site was ? Now its just meaningless.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Mar 2018, 17:39

Dicksoutforkeyboards.com

Too late though, suckers!!

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 17:41

.org !!!!!!!

dicksoutforkeyboards is not a registered company !!!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 17:44

The original RFC made it a requirement, yes, but "Although com domains were originally intended to designate commercial entities (others such as government agencies or educational institutions have different top-level domains assigned to them), there has been no restriction on who can register com domains since the mid-1990s. With the commercialization and popularization of the Internet, the com domain was opened to the public and quickly became the most common top-level domain for websites, email, and networking."

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Mar 2018, 17:48

andrewjoy wrote: .org !!!!!!!

dicksoutforkeyboards is not a registered company !!!
Don‘t be so sure!

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 17:48

Blaise170 wrote: The original RFC made it a requirement, yes, but "Although com domains were originally intended to designate commercial entities (others such as government agencies or educational institutions have different top-level domains assigned to them), there has been no restriction on who can register com domains since the mid-1990s. With the commercialization and popularization of the Internet, the com domain was opened to the public and quickly became the most common top-level domain for websites, email, and networking."

Just because you can does not mean you should. I can go into work wearing nothing but i pink mankini but i should not do that.

depletedvespene

06 Mar 2018, 17:49

My country's registry was wise beyond its years, back then, to discard the usage of those terms in the national-level domains (farah.cl instead of farah.{com|org|net|gov|etc}.cl. I actually had a discussion with the head honcho on Nic Chile about this, and he had to enlighten me... it now seems obvious beyond the obvious — and boy, was he right.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 17:51

andrewjoy wrote: Just because you can does not mean you should. I can go into work wearing nothing but i pink mankini but i should not do that.
You should if you are a mankini model! :lol:

green-squid

06 Mar 2018, 17:52

keyboardclack.gov

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 18:03

depletedvespene wrote: My country's registry was wise beyond its years, back then, to discard the usage of those terms in the national-level domains (farah.cl instead of farah.{com|org|net|gov|etc}.cl. I actually had a discussion with the head honcho on Nic Chile about this, and he had to enlighten me... it now seems obvious beyond the obvious — and boy, was he right.
I don't agree :)

The whole idea is that its a tree structure. Possibly its the computer scientist in me but it should be like this
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.54 KiB) Viewed 15484 times
You also store more data in it if it uses the correct names and structure

mail.virginmedia.net.uk

I know that its in the UK its a service provider its called virginmedia and i am on the webmail site

now mywebsmialsite.uk sure its easy to remember for normies but for people who know WHY you have to dots in a website name then its just frustrating.

As usual normies ruin everything.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 18:07

Well yes, it makes sense to use TLDs for the way in which they were originally designed, but people who don't understand all the layers of the internet (and really, why should they?) just assume the top TLDs are the only ones.

depletedvespene

06 Mar 2018, 18:11

We're talking about different things here — the presence of several TLDs presented a situation where many domains had to be needlessly bought/gotten/whatever by the same entity for no good reason — think example.com, example.net, example.org, example.edu, etcetera... and it's even more pointless for SLDs: instead of, say, falabella.cl, the same retail company would have needed to get falabella.com.cl, falabella.net.cl, falabella.org.cl, falabella.edu.cl, falabella.(etc).cl. So it was better to get rid of those entirely.

As a matter of fact, at some point, Entel Chile bought co.cl to sell subdomains to other companies as a knock-off of .com.cl... fortunately, it didn't work out for them (but they've never let go of the domain, of course).

andrewjoy

06 Mar 2018, 18:13

Blaise170 wrote: Well yes, it makes sense to use TLDs for the way in which they were originally designed, but people who don't understand all the layers of the internet (and really, why should they?) just assume the top TLDs are the only ones.
Because its important for people to know how things work, a major problem today is that people don't know how things work or why and in my view that's a path to our doom as people will take stuff for granted and not be able to fix it when it breaks or make bad choices on how to fix it (NAT for example).

Anyways back on subject how about blaise-keyboards.org

simple easy to remember and follows the traditional rules

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 18:20

Plenty of companies still do that - my first "real" website that I designed back in middle school (2007) was using co.cc which was actually not a TLD but instead a subdomain. Didn't know the difference at the time but it didn't really matter. I completely agree that companies needn't have 30 different domains, but unfortunately it has a lot to do with security. Phishing is infinitely easier if you trick someone to login to facebook.co instead of facebook.com as opposed to faceb00k.gq.
andrewjoy wrote: Because its important for people to know how things work, a major problem today is that people don't know how things work or why and in my view that's a path to our doom as people will take stuff for granted and not be able to fix it when it breaks or make bad choices on how to fix it (NAT for example).

Anyways back on subject how about blaise-keyboards.org

simple easy to remember and follows the traditional rules
It's a nice idea in theory, but it doesn't work. For the same reason I don't expect people to know how a network works, is the same reason I don't expect everyone to be able to diagnose a medical condition. Unless you advocate for people self-treating potentially critical issues?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 18:44

Ending up going with none of those... My domain of choice is...

www.keyboards.es!

depletedvespene

08 Mar 2018, 18:57

How very Spanish of you. :mrgreen:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 19:02

depletedvespene wrote: How very Spanish of you. :mrgreen:
:lol:

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Mar 2018, 19:06

Spanish? In that case I propose:

http://www.keyboardinquisition.com

:P

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

08 Mar 2018, 19:11

I actually did register blaise-keyboards.com for what it's worth. But I really didn't feel like paying to host it and Weebly only does free sites for domains purchased there now, whereas you used to be able to just use DNS records. So I got a refund for the other domain and purchased this one through Weebly (quite cheap, only $13/year) and I'll be using their free hosting there.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

26 Mar 2018, 18:57

It's basically still in the placeholder stage at this point, but the domain is up and running and I'll hopefully start adding content in the near future.

JP!

26 Mar 2018, 19:46

Laser wrote: Spanish? In that case I propose:

http://www.keyboardinquisition.com

:P
I didn't expect that one :lol:

JBert

27 Mar 2018, 18:31

andrewjoy wrote: Well if we are talking classic top level domains it should be .org ( i hate the new whatever you fecking like TLD too, but hey when in rome)

.com is for company .net is for network providers .org is for orgs like this one or for individuals .

So DT should not be .net it should be .org.
We actually own deskthority.org as well, but it just redirects to the .net version.

Findecanor

27 Mar 2018, 18:57

A site for precious keyboardses ...

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Mar 2018, 19:25

Findecanor wrote: A site for precious keyboardses ...
:lol:

En Español!

Return to “Off-topic”