Removing beamspring stem

codemonkeymike

04 Apr 2018, 01:57

How do people go about removing the metal stem from the key switch? I tried pulling with pliers but not a one will budge.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

04 Apr 2018, 02:13

codemonkeymike wrote: How do people go about removing the metal stem from the key switch? I tried pulling with pliers but not a one will budge.
Two sets of pliers. One that rests on the neck of the switch housing where the square base turns into a cylinder and one that holds onto the metal stem and wrests on the first set of pliers; working the later set like a bottle opener. Strong, steady, even force is required even when it's coming up.

JP!

04 Apr 2018, 03:23

I use just a single pair of pliers, but not just any pliers. My first attempt I used some smaller pliers, those hardly worked and would scratch up the stems. After a few stems I located the largest pair of pliers I could find, my 9'' Klein linesman pliers. The large pliers worked great as the large jaws provided the greatest purchase on the stems. I wrap a little electrical tape on the jaws and they still have plenty of grip to pull the stems like butter, without scratching them. When pulling the stems I use my feet to stand on the edges of the metal plate to get the best leverage. I have done a few now using this method with great results.
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG (362.96 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
pliers.jpg
pliers.jpg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

Myoth

04 Apr 2018, 07:23

codemonkeymike wrote: How do people go about removing the metal stem from the key switch? I tried pulling with pliers but not a one will budge.
This was a quick video I made not too long ago to explain how to open up beamspring, I thought the process was pretty straightforward and got told so too so I never published, guess I should have listened to myself only back then :P

Anyway, I hope this does help you in your restoration !

codemonkeymike

04 Apr 2018, 14:33

Thanks for all the hints guys, I used JP!'s method and worked quite easy. Found a pair of 9inch pliers in my toolbox and they worked just fine. They are actually the exact ones in that photo you posted

Return to “Workshop”