after a long IC phase I'm finally starting the GroupBuy for my custom case. I don't want to write a lot about concept, construction, design and features, since I already did this quite extensively in the IC opening post and throughout the discussion there. I'll summarize, do some c&p and add what's necessary.
2019.08.07: SHIPPING STARTED
2019.05.09: about address change
2019.05.03: remaining stock available
2019.05.03: proceed as planned - sorting, packing, shipping
2019.05.01: Quality control
2019.04.19: PARTS ARRIVED!
2019.02.20: another delay
2018.10.22: Looking good, three little updates here
2018.10.13: making up for the missing ones on reddit
2018.10.08: 60WKL & 75 samples arrived, see teaser pics here and boradwalk version support announced
2018.09.11: payment phase extended until beginning of Oktober in order to compensate for those who don't pay. Awaiting 60WKL & 75 samples, they should help to convince a few more to join and get to the expected number.
2018.09.06: payment status update, many still missing, link to post.
2018.08.07: participants should check their spam folder. info email was sent out a few days ago. Invoices are out now. Orders are still accepted until the end of payment phase, beginning of September.
This is a GB for a high profile, top-mount, custom keyboard case. It is made of thick, bent aluminium. The surface is bead blasted and black anodized. The plate is black galvanized steel. You can choose between different 60% versions (Standard, Winkeyless, HHKB and YAS) as well as a 65% and a 75% version. You just get the case, plate and accessories like screws but no PCB (except for the YAS version, there you can order the case with the PCB if you like). All popular 60%, 65% and 75% PCBs are supported. It is made in Germany. Shipping world wide.
- 75%, 65% and 60% (Standard, Winkeyless, HHKB, YAS and Ortholinear)
- high-profile (2mm above lower edge of caps)
- height adjustability (6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 degrees)
- case material: 3 mm 2 mm thick aluminium
- case finish: bead blasted and anodized, black
- plate material: 1.5 mm steel
- plate finish: black galvanized
- supports most PCBs and fancy layouts like split spacebar
/ / /
More pictures and video:
- 1st sample build log at Imgur
- 2nd sample build log at Imgur
- 3rd sample build log at Imgur
- SKB indoors
- SKB outdoors
- SKB typing demonstration on youtube
- illustrations of the different versions
- SKB family renderings including SKB65
- renderings and illustrations of the updated version
- pictures of the SKB60-YAS sample
- pictures of the final samples
PCBs, plates and layouts
Any of the popular PCBs with the USB port on the left side will fit. Don't bother about screw-hole positions on the PCB, this is totally irrelevant in this case because it is a top-mount construction, not a tray-mount.
For the 60% there is plate A that supports most popular layouts including split spacebar. The YAS PCB gets its own plate. 65% 75% each have one plate, both support split spacebar as well.
Especially providing an option for the YAS62 - a project that I really like - was important to me. I have two of these PCBs and can't wait to finally put them to use. Silentreader still has some PCBs left that you can get, just PM him. The YAS PCBs will be sent to me. In the order form you have the option to add the YAS PCB to your order to get it from me together with the case. Price is 37€.
The plate does not support switch-top removal or alps switches. Yes, I probably could have convinced some more by offering those, but I made this decision because I wanted the plate to have as much mass as possible and the switches to fit tightly. Just lube your switches before you put them in
All plates are ANSI/ISO unified and only support Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.
I have added another plate option to choose from. Now SKB60 is available with an ortholinear plate, which support the XD75 PCB for example.
Small plate updates regarding split spacebar support. SKB65 now available as well. Dropped one layout -> YAS now has it's own, dedicated plate.
BOARDWALK support added. Two different plates for Boardwalk, see pictures below and linked album here. Boardwalk options added to the order form.
updated plates/layouts on imgur
Dimensions and weight
- GB start (2018.04.10)
- collecting orders via form (started 2018.04.10)
- payment phase (2018.08.04 - 2018.11)
- placing the order (2018.10)
- production (~ 5 Months)
- packing and shipping ~ May 2109
- GB concluded ~ June
- (2018-04-11) besides PayPal I will also accept SEPA and N26
- (2018-04-11) you can also order extra plates. 30€ per extra plate. just write in the comments
- (2018-04-11) maybe an ortho plate for the SKB60 will be made, see here
- (2018-04-13) finished the 3rd build, uploaded to imgur
- (2018-04-14) uploaded typing demonstration to youtube
- (2018-04-15) Ortholinear plate for SKB60 now available, form updated
- (2018-04-15) uploaded some outdoor shots to imgur
- (2018-04-15) SKB and me showed up at a little meetup
- (2018-04-15) SKB60 case and YAS PCB shipping together?
- (2018-04-17) YAS PCB available as well now, order form updated
- (2018-04-20) schedule pushed back. payment phase ~end of may, orders till then
- (2018-05-03) added illustrations of the different versions, 65% will be added soon
- (2018-05-04) 100+ pricing unlocked
- (2018-05-04) different plate coating
- (2018-05-07) list of orders so far
- (2018-05-14) updated plates and split spacebar support
- (2018-05-14) if you want to change your order
- (2018-05-14) dropped support for one layout
- (2018-05-18) new SKB family renderings including SKB65
- (2018-05-18) updated timeline and another sample incoming
- (2018-05-20) new shipping options
- (2018-05-28) about the HHKB version
- (2018-05-28) updated order list
- (2018-05-29) updated order list
- (2018-05-31) update: final sample, invoicing, timeline
- (2018-06-12) decision to make: plate material and finish
- (2018-06-12) invoicing pushed back jet again
- (2018-07-05) why it took so long
- (2018-07-18) final sample!
- (2018-08-03) updated order list
- (2018-08-31) payment status