Post the ugliest keyboards you've seen!

nsmechkb

09 Apr 2018, 18:55

snacksthecat wrote: I maked this :|

This layout is great! If this went to GB, a nice little status light bank could be put above the right-arrow.

depletedvespene

09 Apr 2018, 19:01

Meanwhile, I'd add the two missing keys to this... 73%... to make it a proper 75%. :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

09 Apr 2018, 19:02

Also, why is this 73% in this thread? Even with that glaring -2% hole, this keyboard can't possibly qualify as ugly.

FXT
XT

09 Apr 2018, 22:19

I don't think this one is too bad. I don't like the RGBs but at least they're done well and can be turned off. The starting bid is way too high though. I got my XT with a Soarer's for ~$100 shipped and it's in fantastic shape.

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

09 Apr 2018, 22:30

j0d1 wrote:
pansku wrote: I don't recognise the seller but is it from the guy with the ruined 5251 or from the person with the purple plate F107?
I am intrigued, I want to see those keyboards but I don't find anything with the search feature, do you have links nearby?
The F107 was on the first page but the 5251 pictures seem to have been deleted :oops: They were in this thread: workshop-f7/it-s-a-5251-but-it-s-1-in-m ... hilit=5251 in a nutshell someone butchered a 5251 to add led lights and two giant switches irreversibly to top shell :shock: The top shell has holes drilled to mount the switches which control the lights and the solenoid on/off. I can't remember if it was also painted to a shocking color aswell.

Having tried to painstakingly restore my 5251 I want to punch the guy who did it in the face for ruining an extremely hard to find top shell.

j0d1

09 Apr 2018, 23:58

Oh ok I missed that F107 on the first page! Oh... poor keyboard. Maybe with standard keycaps instead of the relegendable ones, and with the case on, it would look OK.

FXT
XT

10 Apr 2018, 00:14

j0d1 wrote: Oh ok I missed that F107 on the first page! Oh... poor keyboard. Maybe with standard keycaps instead of the relegendable ones, and with the case on, it would look OK.
Yeah that F107 is pretty bad. I don't know who would do such a thing to such a nice and rare board. I plan on getting the case on my F107 powdercoated in a similar color to IBM industrial gray, but I'm still a little bit apprehensive about modifying something so rare.

j0d1

10 Apr 2018, 00:57

If the color is carefully selected and the keyboard is in dire need of a repaint, then I don't see the harm. As long as the history of the keyboard is respected in the restoration job. Well that's what I think, of course everyone can paint their keyboard the way they want, except in pink. Never paint a keyboard in pink. :lol:

__red__

10 Apr 2018, 01:31

Well, get ready to punch me in the face then I guess since I stripped all the paint off my 4704 and I'm planning to paint it with the second blackest black paint in the world.

depletedvespene

10 Apr 2018, 02:04

__red__ wrote: Well, get ready to punch me in the face then I guess since I stripped all the paint off my 4704 and I'm planning to paint it with the second blackest black paint in the world.
Is it pink black?

Elrick

10 Apr 2018, 02:28

Every time I see this, my heart breaks with indignation. The pure open FUGLINESS of adding leds to a traditional IBM keyboard, goes to show that there is no sense of shame for those that do this.

I can only put it down to ignorant teenagers who have lost the plot completely :( .

pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult

10 Apr 2018, 08:03

__red__ wrote: Well, get ready to punch me in the face then I guess since I stripped all the paint off my 4704 and I'm planning to paint it with the second blackest black paint in the world.
Nah, paint is just paint. You can always just sand it down and pick a new color, but making holes to cases that's a another story :lol:

Khers

10 Apr 2018, 08:30

pansku wrote:
j0d1 wrote:
pansku wrote: I don't recognise the seller but is it from the guy with the ruined 5251 or from the person with the purple plate F107?
I am intrigued, I want to see those keyboards but I don't find anything with the search feature, do you have links nearby?
The F107 was on the first page but the 5251 pictures seem to have been deleted :oops: They were in this thread: workshop-f7/it-s-a-5251-but-it-s-1-in-m ... hilit=5251 in a nutshell someone butchered a 5251 to add led lights and two giant switches irreversibly to top shell :shock: The top shell has holes drilled to mount the switches which control the lights and the solenoid on/off. I can't remember if it was also painted to a shocking color aswell.

Having tried to painstakingly restore my 5251 I want to punch the guy who did it in the face for ruining an extremely hard to find top shell.
I knew I should have rehosted the images...

Both the 5251 and the Displaywriter were absolutely abysmal, both in terms of what was done, but also the quality of the craftmanship. If that was the result of feeding just_add_coffee some coffee, I think they should be off the caffeine for a while. Ideally forever.

Phenix
-p

10 Apr 2018, 12:15

I own a XT myself but mine is in worse condition.. and not converted at all.

Look at this RGB F XT!
RGB MODEL F XT

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

depletedvespene

10 Apr 2018, 12:50

Same guy. :-/

Elrick

10 Apr 2018, 12:58

Phenix wrote: Look at this RGB F XT!
RGB MODEL F XT

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Oh the pure indignation of it all.

What has the world come to now, next we'll all see Dogs marrying Cats, the sky will fall in and politicians will start telling the truth.

The World is now forever twisted and disturbed once you view this level of heinous blasphemy, committed to a revered IBM keyboard model. Will this ever stop...... :?: :(

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 Apr 2018, 15:59

Phenix wrote: I own a XT myself but mine is in worse condition
I bet your Model F isn't in as bad of a condition as mine is! Mine is so rusty that the springs stay stuck so the keys never come back up! :lol:

It's going to be quite the restoration. :shock:

depletedvespene

10 Apr 2018, 16:17

Blaise170 wrote: It's going to be quite the restoration. :shock:
Just don't paint it pink.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Apr 2018, 19:22

Chyros

11 Apr 2018, 19:51

Oh Jesus.

Dingster

11 Apr 2018, 20:24

Blaise170 wrote: Image
aRtIsANs aRE sO HiP

codemonkeymike

11 Apr 2018, 20:24

There is no way in hell someone would type on that. I think that is just someone showing off their artisan keycaps. Thats over a thousand dollars worth of keycaps.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

11 Apr 2018, 20:30

I actually own two of those artisans, the yellow KRAP skull on the top and a clear Warmaster (though mine has blue eyes).

Dingster

11 Apr 2018, 20:31

codemonkeymike wrote: There is no way in hell someone would type on that. I think that is just someone showing off their artisan keycaps. Thats over a thousand dollars worth of keycaps.
1000+ ?? :shock:

green-squid

11 Apr 2018, 20:37

Dingster wrote:
codemonkeymike wrote: There is no way in hell someone would type on that. I think that is just someone showing off their artisan keycaps. Thats over a thousand dollars worth of keycaps.
I could buy an Ellipse keyboard and a 1/2 for that!

depletedvespene

11 Apr 2018, 20:37

Dingster wrote: aRtIsANs aRE sO HiP
Hey, at least the case hasn't been painted pink.

Dingster

11 Apr 2018, 20:46

depletedvespene wrote:
Dingster wrote: aRtIsANs aRE sO HiP
Hey, at least the case hasn't been painted pink.
Pink with some leopard fur and we got a great GB :lol:

purdobol

11 Apr 2018, 21:01

What are you guys talking about?
It's beautiful and full of personality and character.
Not to mention it's worth some serious dough so typing on it must feel like heaven.

Jelly much?

codemonkeymike

12 Apr 2018, 00:34

Dingster wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clack-Factor ... 0005.m1851

The topre ones are about 2-3x the cherry mx ones are but there ya go, 80ish dollars on that one cap. Basically a d- measuring contest posting pics like that.

Dingster

12 Apr 2018, 12:53

codemonkeymike wrote:
Dingster wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clack-Factor ... 0005.m1851

The topre ones are about 2-3x the cherry mx ones are but there ya go, 80ish dollars on that one cap. Basically a d- measuring contest posting pics like that.
I understand some work goes into that, but damn thats a ripoff.

Return to “Keyboards”