SKB75 / SKB65 / SKB60 (SHIPPING!!!)

Anakey

26 Apr 2018, 01:11

LightningXI wrote: I wish I could enter this, but the timing doesn't work out for me for the order period, unfortunately. Perhaps I will see and try it at a meetup, or have someone pass a sample/case through a build commission with me.

It looks and sounds great. I wish you luck and success in the group-buy, PlastikSchnittstelle!
The GB is being extended until 20th May if it makes it better timing for you

User avatar
LightningXI

26 Apr 2018, 05:04

Anakey wrote:
LightningXI wrote: I wish I could enter this, but the timing doesn't work out for me for the order period, unfortunately. Perhaps I will see and try it at a meetup, or have someone pass a sample/case through a build commission with me.

It looks and sounds great. I wish you luck and success in the group-buy, PlastikSchnittstelle!
The GB is being extended until 20th May if it makes it better timing for you
If this is true... it may work out. Fingers crossed. :?

Shihatsu

26 Apr 2018, 10:30

O boi I can't affort it at the moment, but I also cannot miss this one... ordered, without the planned extra plate, budget just to tight atm :(

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

26 Apr 2018, 13:45

Yes, order phase and payment phase got pushed back. Sorry for not having updated it here as well jet.
...just did.

Squeezing order and payment phase into just one month wasn't a good idea. Now I'm pretty confident we'll hit a price point that makes everybody happy.

Shihatsu

26 Apr 2018, 14:03

And there my plate comes in again - is ist still "delete and reorder"? If so - please delete my order :D

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

26 Apr 2018, 14:15

Shihatsu wrote: And there my plate comes in again - is ist still "delete and reorder"? If so - please delete my order :D
from now on I'd say, if anyone wants to change his order - just fill out the form again. I can see double entries and whenever there is one I will just delete the first/older order without asking. That's simple.

but so far there is only one entry from you.

btw, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to offer the extra plates cheaper. can't confirm now, I'll know in two weeks.

Shihatsu

26 Apr 2018, 14:26

Ya, that one order is correct - I didn't made one for the plate, I wanted to wait for your answer. So I will fill out another form with extra plate and note it in the comments that it is a substitute for the first one. Tank you!

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

26 Apr 2018, 14:46

Shihatsu wrote: Ya, that one order is correct - I didn't made one for the plate, I wanted to wait for your answer. So I will fill out another form with extra plate and note it in the comments that it is a substitute for the first one. Tank you!
thanks, no need to comment for that. just deleted you first entry.

User avatar
depletedvespene

26 Apr 2018, 14:50

If I may ask, how many orders have been placed already?

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

26 Apr 2018, 14:51

depletedvespene wrote: If I may ask, how many orders have been placed already?
over 90

User avatar
depletedvespene

26 Apr 2018, 15:05

Not bad. :-)

I look forward to see the finalized numbers and the details each variant.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

03 May 2018, 15:49

Did some new illustrations of the different versions (also see the imgur album). SKB65 is already included there but I'm not jet ready to add it to the google order form. Hope the option will be ready by the end of this week.

Image

Image
Last edited by PlastikSchnittstelle on 04 May 2018, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Menuhin

03 May 2018, 17:43

I really like the banner :geek:

The numbers and the lines of the base casing can use more emphasis, after all this feature (the ability of your design to adjust the angle of keyboard) is really one of a kind among what others have implemented.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

04 May 2018, 12:52

UPDATE (regarding prices):

Just wanted to let you all know, that there are over 100 orders now (⁓110). That means the lowest price point is unlocked. We are past 100 since some time now already but the reason I didn't let you know this until now was because I didn't ever expect to reach this number and therefore the prices for 100+ were a rough estimate. So I had to get new prices in order to check if I can actually keep the announced prices for 100+. This took time. Now I can tell you, that the prices for 100+ are correct! So we are now at:
128€ for all SKB60 versions
145€ for the SKB75

The SKB65 will be 138€, I still need some more time before I can add it to the order form (checking out if it's possible to offer you a PCB along with it).

Also good news for everyone who ordered an extra plate. They are 30€ right now but they will get cheaper. I'll try to offer extra plates as cheap as possible, closer to 20€. Next week I will be able to name the exact price and then update it in the order form.

Just to be prepared I will calculate another price point for 150+ units. Will take me at least another week before I can update you on that.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

04 May 2018, 12:55

UPDATE (regarding the coating of the plates):

Like I told you I wasn't happy with the thickness of the powder-coating. Switches have to snap nicely into the cutouts of course and with powder-coating this can not be guaranteed evenly throughout all parts/cutouts. This is why I was exploring other methods. The solution is black galvanizing. This guarantees a super thin layer and it looks really nice.
Of course I could have just said "hey, fuck the coating, I'll just leave the plates blank" but NO! The fact that the plate is black and doesn't reflect through the gaps between the caps is very important to me and it makes a huge difference imo.
I'm trying to get another sample, not sure if I can manage to get it soon.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

04 May 2018, 17:46

Menuhin wrote: I really like the banner :geek:

The numbers and the lines of the base casing can use more emphasis, after all this feature (the ability of your design to adjust the angle of keyboard) is really one of a kind among what others have implemented.
you mean more like this?:

Image

Menuhin

04 May 2018, 17:53

@PlastikSchnittstelle

Congrats for reaching 100!

Very stylish work with or without the highlight - those tweak may do the work.
I think most people fell in love with the industrial look of your design plus how the top-mount is implemented.
Not yet realizing the adjustable angle, which is a huge bonus.

Finger-crossed / thumbs-pressed for running the GB smoothly.

User avatar
depletedvespene

04 May 2018, 18:17

Quick question from an ignorant git (i.e.: me): are there ortholinear PCBs that would be size-appropriate for the SKB65 and the SKB75 (discounting for a minute the need for an ortholinear plate on those sizes)? I've already designed a layout for the SKB60 with a 15×5 ortholinear PCB, but I wonder if 16×5 or 16×6 could be feasible as well...

nuclear_wizard

04 May 2018, 18:29

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote: UPDATE (regarding prices):

Also good news for everyone who ordered an extra plate. They are 30€ right now but they will get cheaper. I'll try to offer extra plates as cheap as possible, closer to 20€. Next week I will be able to name the exact price and then update it in the order form.
Now I'm tempted to go for a second plate...

Anakey

04 May 2018, 18:30

depletedvespene wrote: Quick question from an ignorant git (i.e.: me): are there ortholinear PCBs that would be size-appropriate for the SKB65 and the SKB75 (discounting for a minute the need for an ortholinear plate on those sizes)? I've already designed a layout for the SKB60 with a 15×5 ortholinear PCB, but I wonder if 16×5 or 16×6 could be feasible as well...
I don't think there are any ortholinear pcbs that are available for that large a size, however you can handwire a matrix easily enough although you would need to get a custom plate cut. I did originally plan handwiring the 75% that i have ordered however because of the lack of plate mounting for the stabs i can't do that any more.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

04 May 2018, 21:27

I'm not aware of any ortho pcb that is bigger than 60%. most of them are smaller like preonic or 40%.

IchiBalzac

04 May 2018, 23:09

Someone posted a custom job of a Plum 16x6 (96 key) board just the other day. It is possible but isn't the 15x5 already too big?

IchiBalzac

04 May 2018, 23:11

PlastikSchnittstelle wrote: I'm not aware of any ortho pcb that is bigger than 60%. most of them are smaller like preonic or 40%.
So when do we get the SKB cases for Preonic and Planck? :idea:

User avatar
depletedvespene

05 May 2018, 01:23

IchiBalzac wrote: Someone posted a custom job of a Plum 16x6 (96 key) board just the other day. It is possible but isn't the 15x5 already too big?
Have I ever shown you my designs for an ortholinear battleship? (yes, it's a tongue-in-cheek design... for now)

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

06 May 2018, 16:29

IchiBalzac wrote:
PlastikSchnittstelle wrote: I'm not aware of any ortho pcb that is bigger than 60%. most of them are smaller like preonic or 40%.
So when do we get the SKB cases for Preonic and Planck? :idea:
Never! Why? The SKB case was designed with 60, 65 and 75% in mind. Keycap area and bezel size have a nice ratio. Of course I could make an SKB version for preonic and planck but I don't think it makes much sense. Both preonic and planck layouts want to be very compact. Paring that with the SKB would somehow contradict this imo. Also there is no way I'll add any other additional version apart from the 65%.

IchiBalzac

06 May 2018, 21:54

I'm just messing with you dude .. your points are all valid and adding anything to your current GB would just be crazy at this point. I'm sure the tiny keyboard people will be fine with their tiny cases for quite some time.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

07 May 2018, 13:29

found the time to export the order data. a list of all the orders so far. now you can check yours:
Image

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

08 May 2018, 13:24

Regarding changes of your orders:
If you have already filled out the form and later want to change your version or add one, then please just fill it out again but with the complete order. So if you had ordered an HHKB version for example and you want a second one, then please don't add another order with ONE HHKB. Instead fill out the form with TWO HHKB orders. I can spot double entries and I will just delete your older form entries and just keep the last/youngest submission.

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

08 May 2018, 13:28

SKB65 is available in the order form now. Just didn't had time to make the plate info picture and new renderings. Will do soon. Here is the picture of the SKB65 kit, same as in the order form:
skb65.png
skb65.png (136.76 KiB) Viewed 905 times
65% PCB options so far:
- 65% RGB Underglow PCB from Sentraq (QMK, white PCB)
- M65-A PCB from Keyclack (QMK or PS2AVR, black PCB)
- Tada68 PCB from KBDfans (QMK, white PCB)
- 22mini-B PCB from Winkeyless (PS2AVR, white PCB)

User avatar
PlastikSchnittstelle

14 May 2018, 23:33

UPDATE (regarding the plates and split spacebar support):
Gave the 65% plate split support as well. Btw I checked all the plates again for mistakes. I couldn't tell for sure which versions of the KBD75 are out there supporting which split spacebar version. On the KBDfans homepage it says V2 supports "2.25 | 1.25 | 2.75" but I also found a picture which shows "2.75 | 1.25 | 2.25". I simply decided to support both split spacebar variations. Now ALL plates support these two:
- 2.25 | 1.25 | 2.75
- 2.75 | 1.25 | 2.25

Here is the plate for the SKB65:
Image

This is the updated plate for the SKB75:
Image

And here you can see all the the updated plate/layout illustrations.

This all takes time, much more than I'd like.
Last edited by PlastikSchnittstelle on 15 May 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Group buys”