XMIT Hall Effect - Round 2 Design Thread

dwolvin

14 Nov 2017, 22:01

I have an acrylic TKL from the first drop, no QA issues other than a single key with a bit of wobble (moved it to Home), and a slightly loose USB socket. I have not lubed, but I did swap in the 70g springs. What would you like to know (I'll answer anything I can).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Nov 2017, 22:03

dwolvin wrote: I have an acrylic TKL from the first drop, no QA issues other than a single key with a bit of wobble (moved it to Home), and a slightly loose USB socket. I have not lubed, but I did swap in the 70g springs. What would you like to know (I'll answer anything I can).
Cool thanks for the feedback. I think I'd go for the acrylic also.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

14 Nov 2017, 22:48

seebart wrote:
dwolvin wrote: I have an acrylic TKL from the first drop, no QA issues other than a single key with a bit of wobble (moved it to Home), and a slightly loose USB socket. I have not lubed, but I did swap in the 70g springs. What would you like to know (I'll answer anything I can).
Cool thanks for the feedback. I think I'd go for the acrylic also.
Pretty sure I would have chosen acrylic too, if it had been offered this time. I guess the bamboo case will make it stand out from the rest of my keyboards.

dwolvin

14 Nov 2017, 23:39

Yea- the bamboo is cool looking, but doesn't fit my desk / office. I'd also like quiet tactile and stiffer springs (75 / 80) in a perfect world. But the first round unit has handled a year plus of gaming, and I still like typing on it.

M4dn3ss

16 Nov 2017, 09:05

seebart wrote: Who here actually has one of these, did I just miss the reviews or what?
MechMerlin aka merlin64 has one on loan and he's uploaded a couple of typing demonstrations on Youtube

Quoting from Massdrop comment:
Hey guys, I was over at the Norcal Meetup this past Saturday 11/11/17. I was able to snag the 60% version of this board! Before you ask, no, it's not mine to keep. I'll have to return it after I'm done reviewing! But until that is done, here's a few typing sounds =)

Hall Effect Clicky vs Outemu Blues:
The Outemu Blues which in my opinion are the loudest Cherry MX Blue clones are still louder than Hall Effect Clickies. The Hall Effect clickies also seem to be much lower pitched and is more pleasant sounding to me. However when it comes to the stabilized keys, the Rantopad MXX seems to be quieter than the XMIT 60%. Could be a difference in stabilizer quality.

On its own:
Those who have seen my other videos know that I really don't like clicky switches. If you were to hand me an OTD with any kind of blues for $5, I'd probably turn it down. Well maybe not...I can flip that for $$$$$$. Generally speaking I like how these clicky switches sound. I also like how they feel, they are very very tactile, I hope the regular tactile version will come close!
Source: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xmit-hall- ... lk/1879997

dwolvin

27 May 2018, 02:58

Any word on anything Xmit? I'm still hoping for further development of the Hall effect board, and would gladly snag an tactile TKL if there is a round three...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 May 2018, 03:36

I'm not offering any more boards from this manufacturer unless by some miracle they change their minds about open source keyboard firmwares.

I have something up my sleeve but progress is super slow. My wife and I welcomed baby #3 three months ago and life has been chaos since.

dwolvin

28 May 2018, 01:07

Wow- congrats on the kid!

I understand, it sounds like the manufacturer is a classic PITA to deal with. I never understand companies that refuse to provide the service that they supposedly exist for.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 May 2018, 03:15

The manufacturer was pretty decent all things considered, they really bent over backwards to try to honor my design requests. But there were some key philosophical differences in our approaches to design. I still consider myself to be on good terms with them, but my needs have evolved.

Elrick

28 May 2018, 06:59

XMIT wrote: I have something up my sleeve but progress is super slow. My wife and I welcomed baby #3 three months ago and life has been chaos since.
Till you have about six of them, life for you will never again be calm and contented until you get a job that takes you away from that place for a fortnight, then everything becomes bearable.

chuckdee

28 May 2018, 17:47

It appears that Massdrop is going straight to the manufacturer for their latest Hall Effect drop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/apt-hall-e ... guest_open

Elrick

29 May 2018, 06:35

chuckdee wrote: It appears that Massdrop is going straight to the manufacturer for their latest Hall Effect drop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/apt-hall-e ... guest_open
Yes unfortunately, it helps to boost profits for them selves and their share holders. Latent capitalism at it's best/worst.

chuckdee

29 May 2018, 06:43

It could also be because of what XMIT said. He wasn't willing to go with the current manufacturer and their designs, and MD had people that wanted the drop. I don't blame either side, truthfully.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 May 2018, 12:24

I had nothing to do with this one. I'm not terribly surprised but I am disappointed at their lack of transparency.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 May 2018, 12:29

I'm actually pretty interested in the APT board but not sure the $114 entry fee for a TKL is worth it.

snarfbot

29 May 2018, 21:06

well i just pulled the trigger on the 98 key clicky in black, too hard to pass up this combination of unique layout and switch.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 May 2018, 21:10

That's your choice. You'll see the same QC and firmware issues as with the prior two offerings.

I hope you get a good board, since I'll have had no hand in it.

Did I mention that Massdrop still hasn't paid me for Round 2?

kakan

29 May 2018, 21:18

XMIT wrote: That's your choice. You'll see the same QC and firmware issues as with the prior two offerings.

I hope you get a good board, since I'll have had no hand in it.

Do you have counselor that you can seek some legal advice with?

chuckdee

29 May 2018, 23:37

XMIT wrote: Did I mention that Massdrop still hasn't paid me for Round 2?
What do they say about that lapse?

scottc

29 May 2018, 23:54

Good to see that Massdrop are still scumbags.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 May 2018, 00:04

chuckdee wrote:
It was blamed on the finance department.

My contact hasn't responded to my pings today. Maybe tomorrow will bring better news.

Elrick

30 May 2018, 08:26

XMIT wrote:
chuckdee wrote:
It was blamed on the finance department.

My contact hasn't responded to my pings today. Maybe tomorrow will bring better news.
When it comes to MassDrop like all large Corporations, THEY will always hand over money far later in every given situation.

We had to wait numerous times up to three or six months, before standing accounts have been paid into.

Due to accounting, YES those scumbags alone try to stretch out payments which I think is a standard CPA move taught through out their training courses, around the world.

Although when it comes to giving THEM the money, every CPA is all over it demanding payments up front without delay.

Elrick

30 May 2018, 13:09

I was in this "Hall Effect" Group Buy at MassDrop and have now cancelled it.

No good supporting a company that disrespects one of our own, here on DT Central :x .

dwolvin

30 May 2018, 16:11

Strongly worded letter inbound. They can't expect to run an enthusiast focused business and be comfortable slighting the leaders of the community. Don't worry- professional and your name was left out.

rich1051414

30 May 2018, 17:44

Isn't the delay of outstanding payment a common method companies use to cook the books? Accelerating revenues and delaying expenses?

codemonkeymike

30 May 2018, 19:51

rich1051414 wrote: Isn't the delay of outstanding payment a common method companies use to cook the books? Accelerating revenues and delaying expenses?
Yes, but that is for public companies with earnings reports.

andrewjoy

31 May 2018, 15:21

XMIT wrote:

That sucks man.

I am not surprised in the least tho .

lucasho

03 Jun 2018, 15:57

time to hit up Massdrama with this one. Not cool at all. Thought that it was weird that the counter on Massdrama went over 200 days without an incident.

chuckdee

03 Jun 2018, 22:34

lucasho wrote: time to hit up Massdrama with this one. Not cool at all. Thought that it was weird that the counter on Massdrama went over 200 days without an incident.
That would seem to make this more public, which it seems that XMIT doesn't want to do right now. Perhaps it would be good to not create drama about this- unless he says it's ok? You might think you're helping, but you're not getting the whole situation, and could actually hurt his efforts.

rich1051414

03 Jun 2018, 23:24

Creating drama may be just the excuse massdrop is looking for to excuse further withholding of debts. Don't do that.

Return to “Keyboards”