Futaba MA switch plate stuck

Crown326

02 Aug 2019, 12:54

I’m having trouble with my Packard Bell board with Futaba MAs in it. The switches all had varying degrees of clickiness when i first got it. I did the method where you press down hard on the slider and it fixed most of the switches but there are quite a few i unintentionally made completely linear. When fixing them, soon after you press down on the slider you can hear the plate spring pop back in to position. Unfortunately some did not pop back up and stuck down no matter what i try. I already tried tapping it and poking a paper clip around in the hold with the inverse cross mount. Any other ideas? :(

Wazrach

02 Aug 2019, 13:07

Crown326 wrote:
I’m having trouble with my Packard Bell board with Futaba MAs in it. The switches all had varying degrees of clickiness when i first got it. I did the method where you press down hard on the slider and it fixed most of the switches but there are quite a few i unintentionally made completely linear. When fixing them, soon after you press down on the slider you can hear the plate spring pop back in to position. Unfortunately some did not pop back up and stuck down no matter what i try. I already tried tapping it and poking a paper clip around in the hold with the inverse cross mount. Any other ideas? :(
Same thing happened to a Chicony 5160XT. :L On the bright side, at least the new linears are extremely smooth!

Crown326

03 Aug 2019, 09:14

Wazrach wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 13:07
Crown326 wrote:
Same thing happened to a Chicony 5160XT. :L On the bright side, at least the new linears are extremely smooth!
Darn no clicky for me :(

Muirium
µ

03 Aug 2019, 19:36

The method where you mash it… sounds like Matias customer support’s prescription for their flaky, chattering switches. Not good advice, if you ask me.

I’ve heard it doesn’t fix their dddodgy switches for long anyway. It’s more a placebo to give their users something to do besides return their defective keyboards, as they should.

Polecat

03 Aug 2019, 19:51

Crown326 wrote:
It probably isn't much help, but this page shows what's inside the MA switches:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/review/1274536

If the springs are rusted or broken there's not much you can do but replace the bad switches.

Crown326

03 Aug 2019, 23:24

Muirium wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 19:36
The method where you mash it… sounds like Matias customer support’s prescription for their flaky, chattering switches. Not good advice, if you ask me.

I’ve heard it doesn’t fix their dddodgy switches for long anyway. It’s more a placebo to give their users something to do besides return their defective keyboards, as they should.
As far as I can tell there isn't anything else i can do at this point. It did successfully make some almost linear switches very VERY clicky again. Just some of them did not pop back in to position. Ill just hang on to the board and maybe someone will come out with a fix some day :/ I get it for 5 dollars so I'm not too upset.

Crown326

03 Aug 2019, 23:26

Polecat wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 19:51

It probably isn't much help, but this page shows what's inside the MA switches:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/review/1274536

If the springs are rusted or broken there's not much you can do but replace the bad switches.
Yeah, might just look for a doner board or just use the good switches in this board as doners if i ever get another one. :/

Return to “Keyboards”