ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 02:03

Sure did. $100

ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 02:03

dogmantime wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 01:43
andj00 would be proud
It was him. As soon as I realized who I bought it from my heart dropped.

Weezer

06 Sep 2020, 02:55

I don't get it...what is this?

Bass

06 Sep 2020, 03:05

Weezer wrote:
Basically, the keyboard that was sold in this listing normally comes with SKCM Amber Alps switches which are highly coveted and can normally go for more than $2.50 per switch. The seller replaced the switches with Dampened SKCM Creams which are not very desirable (as far as Alps switches go), and the unsuspecting OP didn't carefully read the description thinking they were getting a great deal on Ambers.

ppCircle

06 Sep 2020, 03:06

What can i say except oof

zrrion

06 Sep 2020, 03:07

I mean, he did specify the exact switches used. you didn't "fall" for anything lol you just didn't read. You might be able to ask to cancel the order.

Weezer

06 Sep 2020, 03:11

Bass wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 03:05
Weezer wrote:
Basically, the keyboard that was sold in this listing normally comes with SKCM Amber Alps switches which are highly coveted and can normally go for more than $2.50 per switch. The seller replaced the switches with Dampened SKCM Creams which are not very desirable (as far as Alps switches go), and the unsuspecting OP didn't carefully read the description thinking they were getting a great deal on Ambers.
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 05:46

zrrion wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 03:07
I mean, he did specify the exact switches used. you didn't "fall" for anything lol you just didn't read. You might be able to ask to cancel the order.
Lol. nope. I asked for a cancellation pretty much as soon as I paid for it. He flat out refused.

Weezer

06 Sep 2020, 06:57

I mean if you wanted to be an ass you could cancel the payment via paypal or your bank

IncrediblyDaft

06 Sep 2020, 08:57

Weezer wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 06:57
I mean if you wanted to be an ass you could cancel the payment via paypal or your bank
Be an ass? No, OP got baited.

Cancel. His selling practices are manipulative.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Sep 2020, 10:19

Here’s a link to the listing.

Basically, the title reads:
Vintage Apple IIC A2S4100 TESTED WORKING (BAD DISK DRIVE, READ DESCRIPTION)
(bolding is mine)

And the complete item description, as shown in the first post of this thread, is as follows:

Vintage Apple IIC A2S4100 Computer.

Does NOT include power cable.

**Bad disk drive. Needs repair / replacement**

The original key switches in the keyboard unit have been replaced with genuine Alps SKCM Cream Dampened tactile switches for a quieter typing experience.

Otherwise, tested and working, see photos.

For any inquiries, please message me with questions.

No Returns, Sold As-Is Condition.
(bolding is mine again)

So there’s no way the seller can be accused of using "manipulative practices".
He accurately described the item and in the title urged to read that description.

Anyway, I do not have the feeling ddrfraser1 is accusing the seller,
but rather sort of facepalming and publicly blaming just himself.
So I do feel sorry for him :D

kmnov2017

06 Sep 2020, 11:01

I don’t see anything wrong with the listing at all, if someone wants to harvest the switches and sell the rest, where exactly is the problem ?

ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 14:40

In this case I think I have to own my mistake even though it makes me sick. It’s disappointing that he was not willing to cancel. Even though what he is doing is ‘legal’ it’s not ethical. If I was selling this item, I would just make the title ‘Apple iic, dampened Cream Alps, etc.’ it’s not that hard.

It kind of puts a yucky feeling in my stomach to A, pay double what switches are worth, and B, think you are getting something great that is going towards a project But now, not only do I not have the switches I wanted but I can’t undo my mistake.

Not that $100 is really a big deal, but I’ve set my self on a strict purchasing budget as my wife is expecting our first child. So that’s a big chunk of my spending gone for this month on something that is useless to me and the only way to get my money back would be to try to bait someone else which I would never do. I am always open and sell thing for what they are worth. I suppose I’m a bit naive and expect others, especially those in this community, to treat me the same way.

That’s people though right?

Anyway, hopefully I’ve learned a not too expensive lesson, albeit a very frustrating one.

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Sep 2020, 14:58

ddrfraser1 wrote:
No, just this one particular person.

"Read my listing wrong the first time? You fell for it, no cancellations, even if the request is immediate!". Nobody conducts business like that; it's a total scum move. Within the eBay guidelines? Sure. But scummy nonetheless.

It's almost as if he expected to get a purchase from someone who misread the listing.

ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 15:17

photekq wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 14:58
ddrfraser1 wrote:
It's almost as if he expected to get a purchase from someone who misread the listing.
Well yeah, considering he delsoldered all the ambers and sold them separately...

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Sep 2020, 15:48

ddrfraser1 wrote:

Even though what he is doing is ‘legal’ it’s not ethical.
I disagree. I have bought things without reading and understanding everything that was said, and for that I l suffered. But I look at what you posted and see a very clear and unambiguous description. To read "the original switches have been replaced" and still buy the item based on what the original switches used to be was pretty silly. You know that all too well.

Ebay has rules that are precise and black and white. They apply those rules rigorously, and go by the letter, not the spirit, when evaluating a dispute.

One time I had a vaguely similar experience as a seller, and I also refused a return but felt somewhat bad about it. I listed several keyboards that I needed to clear out, and one of them was a rubber dome Model M2. I listed it by part number (beginning with "7" which indicates rubber dome) and showed photos including the label. The price was very low since I didn't think that it had much value, but I forgot to specifically say that it was rubber dome. The buyer was irritated but hadn't paid more than what was a fair price so there were no real grounds for a dispute.

cKype

06 Sep 2020, 16:15

For me this just sound like you made a mistake and try to blame it on the seller. I don't wanna be a dickhead but if this happened for me, I would just silently facepalm and learn from my mistake. The story would be different if the description was not accurate but it is.

ddrfraser1

06 Sep 2020, 16:29

All fair comments. Only difference is he was scamming people before without explaining it to others in the description as clearly as he did this time. He only spells it out now because the community rioted against him.

Also, I wanted to put this out here partially to alert people that he’s still up to this and to be careful.

Weezer

06 Sep 2020, 17:34

While it's the buyers duty to read the description, the listing was still deceptive because he said he removed the original switches for a "quieter typing experience" on a PC that has a broken hard drive and doesn't boot. The also aren't any pictures of the switches like you'd normally see from someone who has a keycap puller and the ability to resolder switches. It's clear that he knew that this PC was not a money beet and was angling to get a purchase from someone naive or not being careful.

Excelso

06 Sep 2020, 17:43

For me the trick is that we all know that this is a honey trap. The switches were not changed to be quieter but because original switches have a lot of value. Even the phrasing "genuine Alps" it's made up so someone could fall speed reading or reading with a translator app. Refusing to cancel before shipment it's proof. He can ask perfectly just for ebay tariffs but instead...

Weezer

06 Sep 2020, 17:45

Yeah exactly.

hellothere

06 Sep 2020, 18:07

dogmantime wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 15:28
do not consider andj00 a part of this community anymore, he's purely only concerned with himself and his profit, 99% of his posts here were just him selling items and/or being an arsehole when people called him out
He's no longer a member here.
ddrfraser1 wrote:Only difference is he was scamming people before without explaining it to others in the description as clearly as he did this time. He only spells it out now because the community rioted against him.
But ... he's doing what members here wanted. So, we're saying, "Thanks for doing what we asked for, but we don't want anyone to buy from you ever again"?
Excelso wrote:Even the phrasing "genuine Alps" it's made up so someone could fall speed reading or reading with a translator app.
SKCM cream dampened Alps are genuine Alps switches. I'm assuming that the phrase you wanted was along the lines of, "I removed the more valuable switches and replaced them with something else so I could make more of a profit later."

If you're "speed reading" an ad on ebay, you're still supposed to understand what the ad says. Also, if you're using a translator app on ebay, you're really going to have a bad time and, as mentioned, you're still supposed to understand what the ad says. If you have questions, you're supposed to ask the seller.

zrrion

06 Sep 2020, 18:12

Wasn't everyone mad at this dude for not listing the switches he replaced the ambers with like a week ago, and now that he is doing that are we still upset? Kinda silly if you ask me.

JBert

06 Sep 2020, 18:15

Oh, right, this was that person who was originally stating that if people were interested in the particular type of switches in a keyboard, they should ask the seller before closing the deal (and especially to check if the keyboard was modified). If the deal's done, tough luck. "Sure, it was made quieter, but you forgot to ask and chose to buy it anyway. Now pay up" - a seriously deceptive situation.

It seems the description was clear in this case. It might be manipulative, but then so is any viral ad campaign if it succeeds in people buying stuff. The description is clear about what happened, so you cannot speak about "bait" or a "scam". And well, it does also say "No returns"...

hellothere

06 Sep 2020, 18:23

JBert wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 18:15
... If people were interested in the particular type of switches in a keyboard, they should ask the seller before closing the deal
FWIW, if there ever is a Rules of Keyboard Buying, this should be rule #1. Even though I really love the Deskthority Wiki, it's not the final arbiter of switches. I learned that lesson after two or three keyboards ... which allowed me to update the Wiki, so I guess that works out.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Sep 2020, 20:44

IDK, I'd say its somewhat mean to not allow for cancellation considering you attempted right after buying.

But at the same time he clearly stated that he swapped the switches in the description. Don't be surprised when you don't get what you wanted when you haven't read the full listing.

Inxie

06 Sep 2020, 21:09

After reading the back and forth here, OP is the prime example I refuse to sell on eBay, because people don't READ THE DESCRIPTION when I ask them too. No, you are in a binding contract to pay, if you pull out and screw the seller over, you are going to be at fault on the legal side of things, and the seller has every right then to go after you to collect. It was YOUR fault for not reading and now you need to suck it up and buy the computer. Re-sell the computer then or something that's fine, but he has every right to not cancel it either as per eBay's rules.

Sorry but I don't cater to people who dig their own graves then whine about it because they aren't getting a refund. It's your fault, own up to it.

Also, when I sold on eBay, when someone cancels like that, it punishes the seller, and we have to pay out of our own pocket (does eBay still not charge you for listings?). Either way, it's his right and he's clearly covering his behind because he knows you cancelling would punish him, and not you and that's not "ethically right" either. Catch my drift? You think it's not ethically right against yourself, but it wouldn't be ethically right for you to punish him either. Goes both ways.

mode1ace

06 Sep 2020, 22:10

Anj is somewhat shady, but, the bottom line here is read the description.

I got burned by him a while back "pristine switches no cleaning or lubing necessary" == filled with dust, mediocre condition, some wear that no amount of cleaning will fix.

Return to “Keyboards”