Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

tinnie

27 May 2021, 18:53

esr wrote:
27 May 2021, 18:48
mode1ace wrote:
27 May 2021, 18:28
Big manning isn't impressive bro.
Or, you know, I could write this crowd off as a bunch of ungrateful assholes and go do something more fun, like, say...having a root canal.
ever considered to get yourself tested if you suffer from autism?

darkcruix

27 May 2021, 18:58

ladies, gentlemen,
I've followed this thread for a while. Please keep it civilized independent of the goal you like to achieve or how you feel about the matter discussed.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 May 2021, 19:01

liking the new pfp darkcruix, classy :)

shallot

27 May 2021, 19:01

webwit wrote:
27 May 2021, 18:42
If someone in the UK doesn't mind paying 3 GBP and promises me to keep the address private and not pass it on, you can register here and check the owner(s) of his last known address:
https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/e ... iryInit.do
The free info says there is no "price paid/value stated information available for this property", which most likely means it wasn't sold since they started registering that in 2000. Could lead nowhere, could lead to a confirmation he is not dead.

Edit: also looked for death records, not found.
I have no qualms with doing this and only reporting back to you webwit. I reckon if you've found nowt in death records he is probably alive and not interacting for a reason.

esr

27 May 2021, 19:02

webwit wrote:
27 May 2021, 18:42
If someone in the UK doesn't mind paying 3 GBP and promises me to keep the address private and not pass it on, you can register here and check the owner(s) of his last known address:
https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/e ... iryInit.do
The free info says there is no "price paid/value stated information available for this property", which most likely means it wasn't sold since they started registering that in 2000. Could lead nowhere, could lead to a confirmation he is not dead.
That's actually really constructive. My plan involves making Soarer's meat identity public because I think we need to do that to create the right kind of evidential record, but if we can track him down without doing that I certainly have no objection.

My only caveat is that the process needs to be carefully recorded. We need to be able to document every step we took and produce the correspondence. Worst case, the active searchers might have to swear affadavits (and yes, that 's the same mechanic in U.S. and British law).

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 19:05

Have you considered just doing some programming tho? seems easier.

lis0r

27 May 2021, 19:27

mode1ace wrote:
Pretty sure you could have knocked up a working prototype in the time it's taken to have this cool conversation.

esr

27 May 2021, 19:30

mode1ace wrote:
Yes, it would be that. I maintain, at last count, somewhere over 50 open-source projects. I'm never short of work to do.

But it also true that lots of people can sling code. Far fewer also know IP law, have a nodding acquaintance with civil procedure in U.S. and Great Britain, have founded and run an organization that curates open-source licenses, and have rubber-meets-the-road experience in major IP litigation. In fact, as far as I know, that set is a singleton.

The hacker ethic I live by is that you apply your skills for the good of all where they're least replaceable, not where it's easiest.

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 19:34

esr wrote:
27 May 2021, 19:30
mode1ace wrote:
Yes, it would be that. I maintain, at last count, somewhere over 50 open-source projects. I'm never short of work to do.

But it also true that lots of people can sling code. Far fewer also know IP law, have a nodding acquaintance with civil procedure in U.S. and Great Britain, have founded and run an organization that curates open-source licenses, and have rubber-meets-the-road experience in major IP litigation. In fact, as far as I know, that set is a singleton.

The hacker ethic I live by is that you apply your skills for the good of all where they're least replaceable, not where it's easiest.

The skill of being so quick to toot your own horn is extremely replaceable. Nobody cares how high your opinion of yourself is, if you're so great why are you trying to rope people into helping you to violate soarer's privacy?

E TwentyNine

27 May 2021, 20:11

esr wrote:
27 May 2021, 19:02
My plan involves making Soarer's meat identity public because I think we need to do that to create the right kind of evidential record, but if we can track him down without doing that I certainly have no objection.
You're saying "you think", which is simply not a convincing statement. You said you have a lawyer who was going to chime up in this thread if needed. Have they done so and identified themselves?

Regardless of your history, I'd like to hear what a lawyer has to say about it and any precedent in a similar situation.

My view is if someone wants to track Soarer down behind the scenes and confirm willingness to release the source code by Soarer('s family), that's one thing. But the need to make a name (and address?) public seems to be nonexistent. The "evidential record" can be kept sealed. Unless there's something I've missed, as I am not a lawyer.

While you may not have bad intent in wanting to dox Soarer publicly, the unintended consequences of doing so are simply unknowable.

melka

27 May 2021, 20:25

esr, m8, please just shut the fuck up with your appeals to authority - your supposed own authority at that, adding boasting - and bigmanning. you did cool stuff, you did bad stuff. just take the hint and don't doxx because muh converter. planning to release someone's personnal info on the internet is not cool, kids.

if you don't have time (or can't be arsed) to write the next soarer replacement, document it, licence it accordingly, support it and write the helper tools, then I don't think we need you to lead the project and we most certainly haven't asked you to go to court with your big lawyer mens. I'm not gonna crowdfund your ego trip over your personnal definition of opensource, freedom and liberty, stop talking about doing it for the community.

depletedvespene

27 May 2021, 20:30

melka wrote:
27 May 2021, 20:25
esr, m8, please just shut the ……
GFL, is May 27 the "Be a Disgusting Troll Universal Day" or what? I mean, this is nearing the levels of gratuituous toxicity of the "Latin Enter" thread... (and that one took a couple days) :roll:

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 20:34

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 20:35

It's cool tho, posting personal details is fine.

depletedvespene

27 May 2021, 20:37

mode1ace wrote:
27 May 2021, 20:34
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWW, a BAE lover. Time for cancellation! 8-)

P.S.: today is definitely the "Be a Disgusting Troll Universal Day". :roll:

zrrion

jmaynard wrote:
27 May 2021, 16:36
I use "his" in the classic English sense when an non-sex-specific third person pronoun is called for.
Point of order here, but using him in that situation is improper English. The correct gender neutral third person pronoun is "they." Whoever told you him was gender neutral was mistaken.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 May 2021, 20:42

If you want to have a spirited discussion with a real man like esr about how you wildly disagree with his opinions, you need to bring some pretty good arguments instead of boring insults.

tinnie

27 May 2021, 20:44

A50EEF8C-DB73-41A8-B79B-A956B662B5B2.jpeg
A50EEF8C-DB73-41A8-B79B-A956B662B5B2.jpeg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 12679 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 May 2021, 20:48

I think the answer to this whole debacle is quite obvious... If someone wants to continue expanding on soarers work decompile it and throw it on github. If soarer wants to suddenly come back from the grave to dispute his work being expanded upon then so be it and then we will also possibly know why he left in the first place.

There's pretty much no legitimate reason to hunt down soarer or leak his info. There's not going to be a court case over some 8 year old keyboard converter firmware :lol:

Or we just focus efforts towards making keyboard converter firmware that is better than soarers ever was. Hopefully shallot's project can produce successful results.

melka

27 May 2021, 20:50

/thread

Weezer

27 May 2021, 20:51

lmao this esr guy really takes himself seriously

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 20:52

Redmaus wrote:
I think the answer to this whole debacle is quite obvious... If someone wants to continue expanding on soarers work decompile it and throw it on github. If soarer wants to suddenly come back from the grave to dispute his work being expanded upon then so be it and then we will also possibly know why he left in the first place.

There's pretty much no legitimate reason to hunt down soarer or leak his info. There's not going to be a court case over some 8 year old keyboard converter firmware :lol:

Or we just focus efforts towards making keyboard converter firmware that is better than soarers ever was. Hopefully shallot's project can produce successful results.
Trolling aside, this is all there is to it. Jfc, just decompile it, restructure it a bit if you're feeling paranoid. Just treat it like you would violating the GPL like a normal developer.

headphone_jack

27 May 2021, 20:54

Wonder where keyboardjoy went, this thread certainly seems like it needs an admin. Probably crying in the corner that we wouldn't generate content for his blogs.

shallot

27 May 2021, 20:54

Redmaus wrote:

Redmaus bringing the quality posting! And I mean it, this is the correct way to handle this
Last edited by shallot on 27 May 2021, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.

jmaynard

27 May 2021, 21:00

zrrion wrote:
jmaynard wrote:
I use "his" in the classic English sense when an non-sex-specific third person pronoun is called for.
Point of order here, but using him in that situation is improper English. The correct gender neutral third person pronoun is "they." Whoever told you him was gender neutral was mistaken.
Singular "they" is very recent.

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 21:02

jmaynard wrote:
zrrion wrote:
jmaynard wrote:
It's really not, Shakespeare used it

shallot

jmaynard wrote:
zrrion wrote:
jmaynard wrote:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 02748.html

oh you mean like shakespeare?

jmaynard

Redmaus wrote:
Hopefully shallot's project can produce successful results.
I would love for shallot to prove me wrong and produce something good and usable and open source straight out of the box.

But I'm not going to rely on Real Soon Now(tm).

mode1ace

27 May 2021, 21:05

jmaynard wrote:
I would love for shallot to prove me wrong and produce something good and usable and open source straight out of the box.

But I'm not going to rely on Real Soon Now(tm).
I literally have a couple of prototypes on my desk, so, prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 May 2021, 21:05

Meanwhile...

soarer.png
soarer.png (195.83 KiB) Viewed 12566 times

Return to “Workshop”