Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

Razerban

28 May 2021, 01:16

Well, I've just finished reading the whole 9 pages of this thread... WOW what a journey!
Just adding more information to this thread hoping that it could help: https://trello.com/c/49xeEOPm/15-arakul ... -converter

shallot

28 May 2021, 01:26

Razerban wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:16
Well, I've just finished reading the whole 9 pages of this thread... WOW what a journey!
Just adding more information to this thread hoping that it could help: https://trello.com/c/49xeEOPm/15-arakul ... -converter
Dude this is rad work. Glad someone is going down this path for the people that really want Soarer's style firmware.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 01:34

Password protected copies of Arakula’s reverse engineering project, distributed against his will. “Rad.”

If all we cared about was getting our grubby hands on the code, this conversation (ahem :roll:) wouldn’t exist. Stolen code is no good to anyone.

shallot

28 May 2021, 01:36

Muirium wrote:
Password protected copies of Arakula’s reverse engineering project, distributed against his will. “Rad.”

If all we cared about was getting our grubby hands on the code, this conversation (ahem :roll:) wouldn’t exist. Stolen code is no good to anyone.
If you'd read the trello card involved, you'd understand this was an attempt to make a cleanroom implementation, but reading is hard apparently.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 01:40

I know Arakuka’s work. He didn’t want it distributed. Is that someone else’s remake?

(Trello looks real badly designed.)

shallot

28 May 2021, 01:42

Muirium wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:40
I know Arakuka’s work. He didn’t want it distributed. Is that someone else’s remake?

(Trello looks real badly designed.)
Arakula passed me a confidential keyboard controller reverse engineered off of Soarer's Converter. Because of the way he made it and unclear instructions on Soarer's last wishes, he was unable to give it to anyone else.
reading hard.

JP!

28 May 2021, 01:47

Muirium wrote:
Stolen code is no good to anyone.
Besides the secretive nature of hardware dev's what if portions of Soarer's code were themselves taken from other sources? I could certainly see this as an issue to releasing a project as open source.

depletedvespene

28 May 2021, 01:52

JP! wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:47
Muirium wrote:
Stolen code is no good to anyone.
Besides the secretive nature of hardware dev's what if portions of Soarer's code were themselves taken from other sources? I could certainly see this as an issue to releasing a project as open source.
Now, that is where source replacement would be warranted. But... we'd need the code for that, no?

GFL, you made me remember some serious, serial arguments I had with a negligent software developer back when I did code audits at the Green Mud Bank. :evil:

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 01:53

Might have found him: here

shallot

28 May 2021, 01:56

Easy_Spinach wrote:
28 May 2021, 01:53
Might have found him: here
damn, you actually did it. props.

Razerban

28 May 2021, 02:02

Muirium wrote:

Apparently, he was able to upload it to a repository on GitHub too: https://github.com/antonizoon/arakulas- ... -converter

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 02:06

Ouch! Not cool publishing to the world a project that was given to you under strict personal confidence. No wonder Arakula isn’t replying to my PMs about this effort to resolve the IP uncertainty. I’d hate to have something swindled off me like that.

shallot

28 May 2021, 02:11

If the version on github is legit the version that was sent to you in confidence and not a cleanroom version, not cool. Not cleanroom anyway if you're looking at the reversed code yourself.

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 02:16

> argue over 10 pages trying to protect a copyright nobody cares about
> proceed to torrent another 20gb of intellectual property over night

shallot

28 May 2021, 02:17

Easy_Spinach wrote:
28 May 2021, 02:16
> argue over 10 pages trying to protect a copyright nobody cares about
> proceed to torrent another 20gb of intellectual property over night
100% bet this is going on

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 02:18

How did the clean room version get made? Did they analyse Soarer’s hex file and document its behaviours? Or did they read Arakula’s source.

One of those rooms is cleaner than the other. ;)

But neither method is actually legal to open source without Soarer’s explicit permission. That’s the quandary he left us with his unlicensed code, just as esr lays out in the OP.

shallot

28 May 2021, 02:21

Muirium wrote:
28 May 2021, 02:18
How did the clean room version get made? Did they analyse Soarer’s hex file and document its behaviours? Or did they read Arakula’s source.

One of those rooms is cleaner than the other. ;)

But neither method is actually legal to open source without Soarer’s explicit permission. That’s the quandary he left us with his unlicensed code, just as esr lays out in the OP.
Clean-room reverse engineering, if done properly is a 100% legal way to replicate software and release it under whatever license terms you like. TBH, even slightly dirty 'clean rooms' tend to be not too bad. See Sony being forced to purchase Connectix Virtual Game Station because they lost on appeal.
Last edited by shallot on 28 May 2021, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 02:21

Thanks for reaching out charlotte but sadly I cant respond.

v.equals.c.rhino

28 May 2021, 05:09

Did Easy_Spinach kill this thread?

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 05:10

v.equals.c.rhino wrote:
28 May 2021, 05:09
Did Easy_Spinach kill this thread?
Apparently not yet

v.equals.c.rhino

28 May 2021, 05:11

Oh it's 4-5am across the pond. Guess everyone is sleeping.

Easy_Spinach

28 May 2021, 13:40

so for french toast mix add full fat milk and 4 egg yolks to a large bowl, then half a cup of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon sugar or regular cinnamon dip it in whatever bowl you like suggested pie plate. then dip it for 30 seconds on each side, then cook in butter with non stick or cast iron idk what you like and server with any condiment like whipped cream or mango, anything you like.

JP!

28 May 2021, 15:02

Easy_Spinach wrote:
so for french toast mix add full fat milk and 4 egg yolks to a large bowl, then half a cup of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon sugar or regular cinnamon dip it in whatever bowl you like suggested pie plate. then dip it for 30 seconds on each side, then cook in butter with non stick or cast iron idk what you like and server with any condiment like whipped cream or mango, anything you like.
That's too rich. I'd do 2 eggs, maybe 2 tablespoons of brown sugar if any at all, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and some cinnamon.

darkcruix

28 May 2021, 15:03

JP! wrote:
28 May 2021, 15:02
Easy_Spinach wrote:
That's too rich. I'd do 2 eggs, maybe 2 tablespoons of brown sugar if any at all, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and some cinnamon.
I think the most important thing is to use brioche and not toast or white bread ...

raoulduke-esq

28 May 2021, 15:23

Predicting today's flamewar might just end up being about the proper way to make French toast...

shallot

28 May 2021, 15:34

Flamewar, or flambée?

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 15:45

Just a den of tiresome trolls. :roll:

Be glad I’m not in charge of DT moderation policy. Bums would be sare! :lol:

HalfSlav

28 May 2021, 15:48

Easy_Spinach wrote:
Alternatively, skip the sugar and cinammon and add a bit of salt, real tasty with cream cheese, ham, and cheese :D

raoulduke-esq

28 May 2021, 15:55

Muirium wrote:
Bums would be sare! :lol:
iu-2.jpeg
iu-2.jpeg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 17634 times

Muirium
µ

28 May 2021, 15:56

raoulduke-esq wrote:
28 May 2021, 15:55
Muirium wrote:
Be glad I’m not in charge of DT moderation policy. Bums would be sare! :lol:
The other hand holds a sack full of stanes, for giving you a compassionate hug. You’ll need it. ;)

Return to “Workshop”