Vintage looking 60% keyboard case

TNT

15 Mar 2022, 23:19

Like many, I participated in the SpaceInvader GB and also the following GB for the 60% SpaccBoard.

My first "real" custom build. However, I still need a custom case.

Most of those 60% aluminium slabs look kinda boring in my opinion. I stumbled onto this one https://thocc.supply/products/gb-hello- ... yboard-kit, which I like very much (aside from the fact it's not available and costs half a fortune).

Can anyone recommend a case similar to this, or a different, vintage-looking one (except for the keyboardfans 5 degree)? Sorry if this is a very vague and open question, but I'm a complete noob in this area of the hobby...
Last edited by TNT on 16 Mar 2022, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2022, 08:04

Ooo, that is quite pretty. I feel much the same as yourself. I'll be putting together an MX hotswap board in the not too distant future; many of the custom cases one sees are fairly uninspiring. I'd be after a TKL, or possibly even a full size. Where to start looking though...

Bjerrk

16 Mar 2022, 08:45

There is also this somewhat Apple-y one, ADK64
https://rndkbd.com/products/adk64-60-ke ... 9132757144

But honestly the plastic quality (printing/molding) looks horrendous if you look closely at the pictures. I don't know if some amount of sanding and polishing would be likely to fix that?
Go-Kart wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 08:04
I'll be putting together an MX hotswap board in the not too distant future;
What PCB are you likely to go for?

Go-Kart

16 Mar 2022, 13:52

Really not sure. If I was just after function, I'd just buy a GMMK hotswap barebones but I want something that looks nice. There's little personality to the GMMK boards IMO. I'm just keeping one eye open so if you have something in mind, feel free to link me!

Bjerrk

16 Mar 2022, 14:00

Go-Kart wrote:
Really not sure. If I was just after function, I'd just buy a GMMK hotswap barebones but I want something that looks nice. There's little personality to the GMMK boards IMO. I'm just keeping one eye open so if you have something in mind, feel free to link me!
It's actually the reverse: I wanted to leech off your plans :lol: But I guess we'll both keep an eye out!

Myoth

16 Mar 2022, 14:06

TNT wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 23:19
My first real custom built. However, I still need a custom case.
Unless for some reason you specifically need Aluminium, in which case it's not gonna get any cheaper than the one you linked, you might be very interested in the BBOX60.

TNT

16 Mar 2022, 14:31

Bjerrk wrote:
There is also this somewhat Apple-y one, ADK64
https://rndkbd.com/products/adk64-60-ke ... 9132757144

But honestly the plastic quality (printing/molding) looks horrendous if you look closely at the pictures. I don't know if some amount of sanding and polishing would be likely to fix that?
I've looked a little bit into some 3D printed cases (there's one seller on etsy who has a Kishsaver-inspired design + several others, here's their page) but all of those seem to have the issue you mentioned. No experience with 3D printing tbh. Maybe there's a way to coat the surfaces to get rid of that surface structure?
Myoth wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 14:06
Unless for some reason you specifically need Aluminium, in which case it's not gonna get any cheaper than the one you linked, you might be very interested in the BBOX60.
I think I might prefer plastic because of sound- and price-related reasons. The one you linked is very nice! Reminds me a lot of the m0116/18's case. I'll look into that!
Last edited by TNT on 16 Mar 2022, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

robo

16 Mar 2022, 17:38

That's the problem with most 3D printing (aside maybe from high end industrial stuff). It's great for prototyping a shape or for something where appearance is secondary, but for this it's pretty much 100% about aesthetics, and for that filament based 3D printing sucks. I think trying to fill and finish the surface would be as much work as just building your own case out of wood or something.

mmm

16 Mar 2022, 18:38

Bjerrk wrote:
Some FDM 3d printed cases overcome this issue by only printing flat surfaces, for an example the QEZ. The keyboard consists of three 3d printed parts, the top, bottom and plate. As you can see, all the parts that is visible while the keyboard is assembled are nice. The horrendous "staircase" is hidden away from plain sight 8-) The plastic is PLA (the most common FDM material), and I am not sure if a textured bed was used to get the nice top surface. I just paid somebody to print it for me. Finding somebody with a 3d printer big enough to print at 60% without having to glue it together might be harder though!

Sanding is definitely possible. I got this keyboard sent, which had the "staircase" look, which I sanded down using wet sanding. It doesn't look too nice, but I think that's partly due to the case being hollow and me not being very thorough. This case is one part, and definitely feels much cheaper than my QEZ case.

TNT

16 Mar 2022, 20:07

I've already ordered a BBOX60 :D
Pretty much perfect for what I was aiming at. Thanks for the tip, Myoth!

And thank all of you for all the other advice so far!
Still interesting to learn about other nice designs tho. So keep em coming!
mmm wrote:

Some FDM 3d printed cases overcome this issue by only printing flat surfaces, for an example the QEZ. The keyboard consists of three 3d printed parts, the top, bottom and plate. As you can see, all the parts that is visible while the keyboard is assembled are nice. The horrendous "staircase" is hidden away from plain sight 8-)
Very interesting design. The top surface looks very nice.
mmm wrote:

Sanding is definitely possible. I got this keyboard sent, which had the "staircase" look, which I sanded down using wet sanding. It doesn't look too nice, but I think that's partly due to the case being hollow and me not being very thorough. This case is one part, and definitely feels much cheaper than my QEZ case.
How much effort would it be to achieve a near-perfect finish, you reckon?
Last edited by TNT on 17 Mar 2022, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

mmm

16 Mar 2022, 21:52

TNT wrote:
I've already ordered a BBOX60 :D
It's a pretty cool case. And it's hassle-free!
TNT wrote:
How much effort would it be to achieve a near-perfect finish, you reckon?
I have absolutely no idea, this has been my only experience with sanding down a plastic finish. One hour maybe if you know what you're doing-ish?

Go-Kart

18 Mar 2022, 17:50

Bjerrk wrote:
Go-Kart wrote:
It's actually the reverse: I wanted to leech off your plans :lol: But I guess we'll both keep an eye out!
:lol: I'm lazier. I await your recommendation :mrgreen:

Besides, every time I look at my bank account and think, "Hmmm, yes, keyboards." My other hobby (obsession?), hifi/headphones, kicks in... I don't think I'm ever going to pull the trigger on an MX boards until one happens upon my crosshairs.

Bjerrk

18 Mar 2022, 17:53

Go-Kart wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 17:50
Bjerrk wrote:
Go-Kart wrote:
:lol: I'm lazier. I await your recommendation :mrgreen:
We'll see. :twisted: In fact, I have never built one of these newfangled custom keyboards.

TNT

01 Apr 2022, 13:15

For everyone else who might be looking for a retro-style 60% case design and isn't satisfied yet, behold this: https://acekeyboard.co/collections/saturn60

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2022, 21:18

Sold out. And crazy… maybe in a good way. I’m honestly perplexed!

TNT

01 Apr 2022, 21:26

Muirium wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 21:18
Sold out. And crazy… maybe in a good way. I’m honestly perplexed!
I'm a little disappointed that I always seem to miss good stuff like this. However, I've joined their Discord and they're promising a round 2 ................................................. maaaaybe + next year :cry:

Muirium
µ

01 Apr 2022, 21:34

Just join every discord on earth. (And the new ones. And the new new ones.) Then you’ll know for sure. Genius!

Anyone else remember when the Internet was going to push global information feeds like this, and we’d all subscribe to whichever topics met our interest? Those were the days, man. Use every one of those 56k!

Think I had 14k actually. What’s new? :roll:

TNT

01 Apr 2022, 21:45

Muirium wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 21:34
Anyone else remember when the Internet was going to push global information feeds like this, and we’d all subscribe to whichever topics met our interest?
Nope, I'm not that old, sorry gramps :mrgreen:

But I get what you mean. It really is a new form of news feeds in a way. My Discord list of servers keeps growing and you can only be active on so much at once :roll:

TNT

02 Apr 2022, 00:16

I think I should stop searching for these. The more I find, the unhappier I get. Imagine that one with MT3 Dasher :o
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97763.0

ntv242ver2

02 Apr 2022, 01:48

TNT wrote:
I think I should stop searching for these. The more I find, the unhappier I get. Imagine that one with MT3 Dasher :o
This takes the cake for me. Damn

mmm

03 Apr 2022, 11:53

TNT wrote:
That's a nice case! Can't believe I've never stumbled upon this one.

I recently came across this pingmaster-ish keyboard from vortex, which fits the portable-and-vintage-ish category very well. No idea how the firmware is, but I really like the look of the case. A shame you can't purchase it without the internals.

TNT

03 Apr 2022, 12:16

mmm wrote:
I recently came across this pingmaster-ish keyboard from vortex, which fits the portable-and-vintage-ish category very well. No idea how the firmware is, but I really like the look of the case. A shame you can't purchase it without the internals.
That completely slipped my mind, I even commented on that. Do you have a link for more info?

mmm

03 Apr 2022, 12:46

TNT wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 12:16
That completely slipped my mind, I even commented on that. Do you have a link for more info?
I think this is geehkack thread the most up-to-date info on it. I can see that it's also available for preorder in the EU (the only ISO version I have found seem to be German, not that I think you will mind that).

TNT

03 Apr 2022, 13:14

This here is also pretty exciting :)

It's like a little brother to AJM's M0110A-VIBE mod.

m0110.PNG
m0110.PNG (598.27 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

They're even doing a little Model M after that

Muirium
µ

03 Apr 2022, 13:31

What that? Got link?

Guessing M0110 homage rather than something fresh to put inside my original, but it's still aye cute!

TNT

03 Apr 2022, 14:18

Sorry, it's the same geekhack post from Vortex https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116535.0

announcement at the bottom

ntv242ver2

03 Apr 2022, 17:30

mmm wrote:
TNT wrote:
That's a nice case! Can't believe I've never stumbled upon this one.

Ibm pc jr is not ping master by the way

mmm

06 Apr 2022, 15:56

ntv242ver2 wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 17:30
Ibm pc jr is not ping master by the way
No but the cutout-free Vortex interpretation of it very much looks like a pingmaster chop job with a thinner pen holder

andreas

23 Apr 2022, 22:29

TNT wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 14:31
I think I might prefer plastic because of sound- and price-related reasons. The one you linked is very nice! Reminds me a lot of the m0116/18's case. I'll look into that!
I second that. Although I don't have extensive experience with Alu cases, I quickly changed my Planck Alu case for a plastic one. Just too much ping.

TNT

24 Apr 2022, 02:02

My Bbox60 arrived, btw. Didn't have the chance to finish the innards yet, but I'm interested to listen to the sound of the final result. Will try clicky Space Invaders first and then linearize them. Do you have to actually desolder them to remove the click-lever thing?
Last edited by TNT on 24 Apr 2022, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Keyboards”