F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

robo

16 Mar 2022, 17:56

I feel like th5 is engaging in some kind of weird concern trolling here.

New user, only 5 posts, all about this one topic, which pretty much everyone else including the freaking project principal have replied to pointing out the pretty obvious fact that the project makes it abundantly clear about the shipping timelines.

We had another person a while back to was up in arms about the "final round!!" stuff on the project website (giving people the impression that an order had to be placed immediately or you'd miss the chance to get one). I honestly thought they had a point, but this FTC concern is just patently dumb.

Ellipse

16 Mar 2022, 18:13

yaun the factory is still wrapping up the extra keys and a few of the remaining low volume international sets (with only a few sets in total ordered for a particular set) over the coming weeks. When completed they will be going out by express air mail to me so I can get them out as quickly as possible. The container ship is still 1-2 weeks away from delivery in my estimate so we are still waiting for it to arrive and for me to spend a week or so to locate and organize all of the inventory so I can efficiently ship everything out to everyone.

o2dazone

17 Mar 2022, 01:36

robo wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:56
I feel like th5 is engaging in some kind of weird concern trolling here.

New user, only 5 posts, all about this one topic, which pretty much everyone else including the freaking project principal have replied to pointing out the pretty obvious fact that the project makes it abundantly clear about the shipping timelines.
ModelFKeyboards.com was posted on HN a few weeks ago https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30527153 - it might've been from that

NilesLinus

18 Mar 2022, 02:36

How long after order are the F77 (full size) actually being shipped? Thanks.

Ellipse

18 Mar 2022, 04:23

The rest of the backlog should be going out over the coming months, finishing up around mid-year. As noted in a recent post from a week or so ago: The container shipment with all of the remaining keyboards and parts departed in early February, and it is currently at sea on a container ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It’s expected to arrive at the port and be delivered to me some time in the next few weeks, later this month. Once it arrives I will have a week or two of organization so that I know where each keyboard variation is located, and then I will start the QC process of personally testing and shipping more than 2,000 orders for keyboards and/or accessory parts as part of the current batch (it’s going to take me a few months as you can probably imagine!).

NilesLinus

18 Mar 2022, 06:42

Actually I can't even imagine. Good luck to you and congrats on seeing a very large project through to its conclusion. Hope you made a ton of money. 👍🏻✌🏻

o2dazone

18 Mar 2022, 20:48

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.46.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.46.34 PM.png (158.68 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
IMG_8139.jpg
IMG_8139.jpg (1020.07 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
IMG_8140.jpg
IMG_8140.jpg (744.39 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
maybe i should just order an ultra compact case 🤔

szechun

19 Mar 2022, 17:01

Has anyone had an issue where after plugging in the solenoid driver to the controller it’s not responding to the keystrokes?

This is a brand new f77 with a brand new driver and solenoid being plugged in the first time:
  • I made sure the VCC/square pins lined up with the red cables on both sides
  • Everything is factory default including the firmware
  • The cylinder can move freely in the solenoid
  • The installation process was the same in the installation video
One thing to note was that when I tested it the driver board was sitting on the inner top case. Any ideas on what may have happened or if it shorted for whatever reason how i may test to verify that?

Guppy

19 Mar 2022, 20:38

o2dazone wrote:
I say maybe it's time to go back to basics:

Wood.

Bjerrk

20 Mar 2022, 15:08

Guppy wrote:
o2dazone wrote:
I say maybe it's time to go back to basics:

Wood.
I could imagine wood would do something great for the sound! My IBM 5155 Model F chassis is all plastic and honestly sounds better than my XT and New Model F. A deeper, richer sound.

sedevidi

20 Mar 2022, 16:23

Guppy wrote:
Wood.
I plan to make a nice and simple wood keyboard cover when my F77 hopefully arrives "soon". A full wood keyboard case would be very nice, but a bit more complicated to make.

Ellipse

21 Mar 2022, 22:56

The freight forwarder has notified me that the container ship has arrived at port and that the container shipment is scheduled to be delivered this week!

I0IParzival

22 Mar 2022, 11:24

nice!!! 🥳

th5

23 Mar 2022, 02:33

Ellipse wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 16:54
Yes just like many other group buys / crowdfunding projects, many updates on the project and the project timeline have been provided
Could you please walk me through how a buyer can estimate when their order will ship, based on what's posted to modelfkeyboards.com?

I've been following the Updates blog. I would read things like "such and such container is coming soon". It was never clear to me how my order related to the updates. I was never sure where I am in line, or container I am a part of.

Here's an example of one of the clearer update posts, from June 13, 2021. Previous updates were less clear, as they were about specific containers.
Important note: please do not ask when your keyboard is going out or about separate shipping. Hoping to continue shipping out everyone’s orders over the coming months. Sorry I can’t be more specific just yet or let anyone know exactly where they are in the queue. So far more than 1000 Brand New Model F Keyboards have shipped.
Thank you

Ellipse

23 Mar 2022, 03:43

To quote from the most recent update on the project web site:

"March 2022 Current Project Status:

The container shipment with all of the remaining keyboards and parts departed in early February as we had hoped for, and it is currently at sea on a container ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It’s expected to arrive at the port and be delivered to me some time in the next few weeks, later this month. Once it arrives I will have a week or two of organization so that I know where each keyboard variation is located, and then I will start the QC process of personally testing and shipping more than 2,000 orders for keyboards and accessory parts as part of the current batch (it’s going to take me a few months as you can probably imagine!). As noted before the order is based on when you ordered and what extra support level you have chosen, if any."

The container shipment arrived in port and should arrive to me this week. All currently outstanding orders (notwithstanding the issue noted below) are in that container, as noted before, and should be going out over the few months beginning in April: April, May, June, July, etc. - however long it takes me to gather, test, and mail out all the remaining orders, one at a time (my guess is a few months). The recent blog entries explain why it is not possible to offer an estimate of the month of shipping for any particular order.

I ordered extras of each variation to minimize wait times for the latecomers, but as the early bird round ends we may run out of a particular case color before the keyboards are all spoken for, as an example. I'll probably order extra cases which will ship ahead of the final round order so that everyone receives what they ordered of course, but it may be helpful if you can be flexible with your case color request if you are a latecomer and prefer not to wait.

yaun

23 Mar 2022, 09:42

Are there any news regarding the packaging (box only or wrap)?

Ellipse

24 Mar 2022, 18:26

Cryptocurrency update: as requested by a number of folks, I have just added a beta option to make payments for orders through cryptocurrency by Bitpay, which allows payment through a number of wallets and cryptocurrencies (but not all of them are supported). Please do share your feedback on this feature as it may have bugs.

Probably box only for most folks - not sure yet. People have been waiting so long I don't want to be the one causing any additional delays of a week or two in total, even if the boxes end up a little more scuffed and with a shipping label sticker on them. It took me a while to gift wrap most of the ~2000 prior keyboards sent out.

Sheepless

24 Mar 2022, 18:34

On the other hand, I suspect that most people who have been waiting years wouldn't mind an extra fortnight to get a pristine box, if only because it helps the resale value.

Jan Pospisil

24 Mar 2022, 21:37

Like anyone ever uses crypto as money, lol. Good luck with that.

Zcool31

25 Mar 2022, 01:01

Sheepless wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:34
On the other hand, I suspect that most people who have been waiting years wouldn't mind an extra fortnight to get a pristine box, if only because it helps the resale value.
But I would mind waiting an extra 6 months because enough other people want their fancy box.

sedevidi

25 Mar 2022, 10:19

Zcool31 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 01:01
But I would mind waiting an extra 6 months because enough other people want their fancy box.
Like Ellipse said above, and already said much earlier: that's +1 or 2 weeks for the latest keyboard to ship, and +0 for the first ones.
I'm ready to wait +1 or 2 weeks, and I hope to be on the +0 or +1 week side. I'm not ready for +26 weeks.
That additionnal wrapping would also add cost for Ellipse, but he didn't talk about it, so...

yaun

25 Mar 2022, 14:01

sedevidi wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 10:19
I'm ready to wait +1 or 2 weeks
Same here.

robo

25 Mar 2022, 21:08

I ordered this keyboard to use, not to resell. I would not like to wait extra time for a box that will be recycled immediately

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

25 Mar 2022, 21:23

robo wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:08
I ordered this keyboard to use, not to resell. I would not like to wait extra time for a box that will be recycled immediately
Yeah I'm probably going to trash my box anyways lol. I already have so many boxes....

Sheepless

25 Mar 2022, 21:51

I'll probably put the box into storage, even though I don't plan to sell.

Ellipse

26 Mar 2022, 06:14

The first of three truckloads from the shipping container has arrived! Today I took delivery and started organizing them. The two remaining truckloads are scheduled to be delivered next week.

Notice that the boxes have increased in width, to accommodate a key set inside the box (as noted before). Also the factory changed the variation stickers to a more sticky product as opposed to the flag-type post its that did not stick as well and would fall off.
2022-03-25_22-38-23.jpg
2022-03-25_22-38-23.jpg (393.2 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
2022-03-25_22-38-37.jpg
2022-03-25_22-38-37.jpg (270.93 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
2022-03-25_22-38-43.jpg
2022-03-25_22-38-43.jpg (247.76 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Not specific to this project but here is an interesting video I came across showing how shipping containers are so efficiently moved about at a port:

yaun

26 Mar 2022, 15:30

Coming to think about the boxes: When someone orders a keyboard plus some or many extras, how is all that being shipped? One big box containing the keyboard box and the extras?

Ellipse

27 Mar 2022, 17:55

As I continue preparing and organizing the recent container shipment's first truckload delivery that arrived on Friday, I am selling the following Ultra Compact Model F F77 keyboard on behalf of a customer. The keyboard is sold used, "as is" and is a good way to get a keyboard right away without having to wait. The keyboard is sold as non-functional but it tested 100% good in my testing. You may have to purchase replacement parts to get it working - I don't have the time to fully diagnose it. It passed 100% the signal level monitor test in the pandrew utility.

First to PM me and complete payment will get it!

You only get what is pictured - no extra keys, no 0-9 keys, etc. Ultra Compact F77, ANSI style layout, with only the pictured dark gray printed keys. Bumpers have been installed to the bottom.

The keyboard as configured sells for $454 new. Given the missing parts I will list it for $400 + $99 immediate shipping priority = $499 shipped within the US (additional shipping charges same as the project rates: Canada: $48.92. Rest of World: $74.69. Non-Contiguous US: $25.)

yaun the packaging will vary based on the size of the contents and what's available to me in terms of packaging.
20220327_114259.jpg
20220327_114259.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4211 times
20220327_114252.jpg
20220327_114252.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4211 times

NathanA

28 Mar 2022, 02:00

If it tested good for you, what was it that the customer claimed was wrong with it?

Ellipse

28 Mar 2022, 07:19

Keyboard shipping update - check your email inboxes as you may have received a shipping confirmation email! A whole bunch of keyboards are going out tomorrow - the first bunch of orders that were all in stock from the partial delivery of the shipping container contents on Friday (the rest of which should be delivered this week).

Black pad printed keys update: I am working with a factory that is still looking into the pad printing. As a reminder please sign up on the Google form below if you want to reserve your spot to get a black pad printed set. Given all the setup costs for each production batch I may only produce one batch of a few hundred sets.

viewtopic.php?p=498535&sid=96cea386d8e9 ... 07#p498535

Regarding the secondhand keyboard, I don't remember the entirety but my understanding is that the customer did not have the time to follow the manual and set it up properly. Upon my own recent testing, a few keys were improperly installed, requiring removal of the key, using tweezers to adjust the spring, and putting the key back. Sold as is just because it's secondhand.

Return to “Group buys”