F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

I0IParzival

28 Mar 2022, 08:12

Email received!!! now it only has to undo all the way from the states to Europe

Ellipse

29 Mar 2022, 01:39

The remaining truckloads from the shipping container have been delivered to me. Now for organization and preparations to continue shipping.

Ellipse

29 Mar 2022, 05:34

Today after receiving the keyboards and extras, organization began and a few hundred keyboards were added from yesterday's photos. The keyboards are placed on pallets and reorganized to keep keyboards with the same variation grouped together for easy searching. Each keyboard variation is logged in its location in a row-column notation (example 1D would be row 1, column D) so I know where to find each keyboard variation when mailing out the keyboards based on low serial upgrades and order dates, etc. It is not as comprehensive a system as would be needed for the warehouse visited by Indiana Jones in the bottom image! This process will continue throughout this week.
20220328_231015.jpg
20220328_231015.jpg (243.28 KiB) Viewed 29650 times
20220328_230957.jpg
20220328_230957.jpg (238.35 KiB) Viewed 29650 times
20220328_230935.jpg
20220328_230935.jpg (240.17 KiB) Viewed 29650 times

darkcruix

29 Mar 2022, 10:19

Can't wait to receive my next shipment :)
I already cleared a shelf ... :)

NathanA

29 Mar 2022, 14:15

darkcruix wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 10:19
Can't wait to receive my next shipment :)
I already cleared a shelf ... :)
How many of these did you buy??? :o

AnnoyedWalrus

29 Mar 2022, 19:18

This is incredibly exciting, I can't wait for mine to arrive!
A question for mr Ellipse, did you imagine that the project was going to be this big when it began all those years ago?

allysure

30 Mar 2022, 08:43

I0IParzival wrote:
ooh when you place your order?

I0IParzival

30 Mar 2022, 08:49

allysure wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 08:43
I0IParzival wrote:
ooh when you place your order?
Late, but got the "skip the queue option" during checkout

Ellipse

01 Apr 2022, 01:51

AnnoyedWalrus no way did I expect the amount of interest in this project - in the beginning I was asking for quotes of 50 to 100 F62 and 50 to 100 F77 units in total!

Another major project milestone - today the 2000th keyboard shipped! I have completed the organization and have started shipping keyboards. Currently various low serial keyboards have been going out. Some of the extra key sets like the Industrial SSK 12 key sets are finally shipping by air/express mail this week, expected to arrive next week, so I should be able to begin getting orders containing those keys out and mail out the separate shipping keys for those still waiting on those key sets.

russypt

02 Apr 2022, 07:27

Been enjoying my F77 classic and F62 compact for quite a while now, though with Unicomp keys.

Those keys will be the cherry on top. 🍒

Must be surreal thinking back to when this was just a twinkle in your eye.

Guppy

03 Apr 2022, 05:10

Ellipse wrote:
01 Apr 2022, 01:51
AnnoyedWalrus no way did I expect the amount of interest in this project - in the beginning I was asking for quotes of 50 to 100 F62 and 50 to 100 F77 units in total!
Was there a moment where you were looking at the sheer volume of orders and said "What have I got myself into?"

NathanA

04 Apr 2022, 07:28

Guppy wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 05:10
Was there a moment where you were looking at the sheer volume of orders and said "What have I got myself into?"
I'm guessing that there were several such moments, not just one! I'm sure I couldn't have pulled off something similar myself, but sitting here and typing this out on my own F77, I sure am thankful that he managed to see it through to the end. Truly a masterpiece.

bfnyc

04 Apr 2022, 17:01

My F77s(!) arrived on Saturday. Talk about exceeding expectations: the build quality and feedback are beyond impeccable, and the whole experience of using the keyboard brings back the joy I felt when I first used a PC. Physically everything was perfect; no damage in shipping.

I have noticed one thing that is starting to really bother me --- it seems like every key registers, as expected, on keydown, *except* for spacebar, which registers on keyup. I'm using a mac, if it makes a difference. This only happens with the spacebar.

I did a quick-and-dirty check by running xev under X11 and looking at keyboard events; spacebar send keypress+keyrelease together when it is released; all other keys send keypress immediately when pressed and keyrelease when released.

Thanks for any help.

Muirium
µ

04 Apr 2022, 17:07

I'd guess it's configured to use Spacebar + certain other keys to enter the firmware etc. When you do stuff like that, Spacebar itself will be suppressed until it's clear it's not being chorded with a key on its special layer. This is why I don't use Spacebar as an Fn key on any keyboard. Fn + Spacebar, yes, but space itself is much too important to monkey with.

Ellipse

04 Apr 2022, 17:20

bfnyc please check out the manual on the project web site for space bar adjustment tips - it's probably an issue with adjusting the spring and/or reseating the space bar.

bfnyc

05 Apr 2022, 03:23

Ellipse wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 17:20
bfnyc please check out the manual on the project web site for space bar adjustment tips - it's probably an issue with adjusting the spring and/or reseating the space bar.
That seems to have done the trick --- reseating the space bar and very slightly loosening the clips appears to have done it. Ellipse, thanks a million!

CoolPenguin1

05 Apr 2022, 18:29

I recently received my F77 and have been enjoying it quite a bit so far. I installed the QMK firmware with a custom keymap using the configurator but have run into a problem, in my keymap I have assigned a key to toggle n key rollover but when I try to toggle n key rollover I'm still stuck on 6 key rollover no matter what I do. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Ellipse

05 Apr 2022, 18:41

Here's an interesting Model M key set someone was discussing with me recently (this one will not be made as part of the new sets unfortunately):

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... _keyboard/

Model M keyboards that came with coordinate measuring machines (CMMs)

"As for one of the objects (the intercom), this is one of his comments; "It was used for an old destination control system at an IBM office with banks of elevators. Instead of pressing up and down arrows, getting in and then pressing the button in the elevator, you would press the button and tell a dispatcher which floor. They would then tell you which elevator to use, and you get in and don't have to press anything. They would know what floor everyone wanted to go to, and would optimize it so that every elevator would stop at the least amount of floors, grouping people together as efficiently as possible.""

Ellipse

05 Apr 2022, 18:43

CoolPenguin1 switched off nkro is the default setting of the firmware (for compatibility reasons). Please see my notes in the manual to compile your own firmware. You can use QMK configurator web site to create the layout and then adjust the settings per the manual on the project web site to enable NKRO.

CoolPenguin1

05 Apr 2022, 19:48

Ellipse wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 18:43
CoolPenguin1 switched off nkro is the default setting of the firmware (for compatibility reasons). Please see my notes in the manual to compile your own firmware. You can use QMK configurator web site to create the layout and then adjust the settings per the manual on the project web site to enable NKRO.
I followed the manual and don't see anything about rollover besides the pre-programed command for it. As a troubleshooting step I imported F77_-_ANSI-ISO_-_PrintScr.json with QMK configurator and complied it without making any modifications and n key rollover still doesn't work. N key rollover is working fine with the precompiled QMK firmwares by the way.
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

NathanA

05 Apr 2022, 21:23

CoolPenguin1 wrote:
I followed the manual and don't see anything about rollover besides the pre-programed command for it, as a troubleshooting step I imported F77_-_ANSI-ISO_-_PrintScr.json with QMK configurator and complied it without making any modifications and n key rollover still doesn't work, n key rollover is working fine with the precompiled QMK firmwares by the way.
Just to double-check, after flashing the hex file you got from QMK Configurator, you tried LShift+RShift+N to enable NKRO first before testing to see if NKRO was working? (It is off by default.)

If yes, it sounds to me like the rules.mk file(s) on the pandrew beta QMK Configurator site does not include "NKRO_ENABLE = yes". Unfortunately, this is seemingly impossible for a regular user to verify as the web QMK Configurator doesn't expose any of the source files from the build tree to you. Only person who could check & confirm this would be whoever is running that server (pandrew?). Doubly unfortunate is that if this is in fact the case, there is also nothing that a regular user can do about it short of petitioning the server admin to change this.

It's also possible, though, that NKRO_ENABLE is set to yes, but that COMMAND_ENABLE is set to no, which would disable the built-in set of "magic keys" (the set of shortcuts that are triggered when you hold down both shift keys). If so, that would explain why LShift+RShift+N is not effective. What you could do to both test this as well as work around it it is to add a "Toggle NKRO" key to your keymap before compiling (in QMK Configurator this is listed under Keyboard Settings tab > "Togg NKRO"). I might suggest putting it on the N key under layer 2. Assuming the default layer selectors of Fn (for layer 1) and Space (for layer 2), this would allow you to toggle NKRO on/off via Fn+Space+N.

I realized some time ago that I myself did not have NKRO enabled on my Vial firmware builds that I've posted here in the past. I have since fixed that for myself but haven't posted an updated version. If you're at all interested in giving it a try, I'll package it up for you.

CoolPenguin1

05 Apr 2022, 21:54

I've tried both Toggle NKRO and dedicated keys for turning NKRO on/off and neither have worked, and yes I did LShift+RShift+N and it didn't work, I also just gave VIA a shot to see how it'd work but now I've run into a different problem my F77 isn't registering any key presses, VIA recognizes it but it still doesn't register anything.

CoolPenguin1

05 Apr 2022, 22:16

NathanA wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 21:23
CoolPenguin1 wrote:
I followed the manual and don't see anything about rollover besides the pre-programed command for it, as a troubleshooting step I imported F77_-_ANSI-ISO_-_PrintScr.json with QMK configurator and complied it without making any modifications and n key rollover still doesn't work, n key rollover is working fine with the precompiled QMK firmwares by the way.
Just to double-check, after flashing the hex file you got from QMK Configurator, you tried LShift+RShift+N to enable NKRO first before testing to see if NKRO was working? (It is off by default.)

If yes, it sounds to me like the rules.mk file(s) on the pandrew beta QMK Configurator site does not include "NKRO_ENABLE = yes". Unfortunately, this is seemingly impossible for a regular user to verify as the web QMK Configurator doesn't expose any of the source files from the build tree to you. Only person who could check & confirm this would be whoever is running that server (pandrew?). Doubly unfortunate is that if this is in fact the case, there is also nothing that a regular user can do about it short of petitioning the server admin to change this.

It's also possible, though, that NKRO_ENABLE is set to yes, but that COMMAND_ENABLE is set to no, which would disable the built-in set of "magic keys" (the set of shortcuts that are triggered when you hold down both shift keys). If so, that would explain why LShift+RShift+N is not effective. What you could do to both test this as well as work around it it is to add a "Toggle NKRO" key to your keymap before compiling (in QMK Configurator this is listed under Keyboard Settings tab > "Togg NKRO"). I might suggest putting it on the N key under layer 2. Assuming the default layer selectors of Fn (for layer 1) and Space (for layer 2), this would allow you to toggle NKRO on/off via Fn+Space+N.

I realized some time ago that I myself did not have NKRO enabled on my Vial firmware builds that I've posted here in the past. I have since fixed that for myself but haven't posted an updated version. If you're at all interested in giving it a try, I'll package it up for you.
Sure I'd like to try Vial considering QMK and VIA don't seem to be working as intended.

NathanA

05 Apr 2022, 23:06

CoolPenguin1 wrote:
Sure I'd like to try Vial considering QMK and VIA don't seem to be working as intended.
'k. I'll make & post a complete updated release for everyone later, but for now, here is my latest Vial hex file for the F77. It defaults to the ANSI_0-9 layout, but as you mentioned that you have been using the PrintScr one, I took the liberty of modifying that layout by adding a Toggle NKRO to layer 2 on the N key, as previously discussed (so, Fn+Space+N), and attached that here as well (included in ZIP file). (Note that my firmware does not have COMMAND_ENABLE turned on, so you will have to define a Toggle NKRO key and use that rather than LShift+RShift+N.)

You'll want to download and install the Vial utility to run on your computer, which you can in turn use to either load the attached VIL layout to your keyboard after flashing the hex file, or to define your own layout: https://get.vial.today/download/

Let me know how it goes!
Attachments
newf77-vial_20220405.zip
(31.35 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

I0IParzival

05 Apr 2022, 23:10

Everyone getting theirs and mine is stuck at customs... 😤

CoolPenguin1

05 Apr 2022, 23:19

NathanA wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 23:06
CoolPenguin1 wrote:
'k. I'll make & post a complete updated release for everyone later, but for now, here is my latest Vial hex file for the F77. It defaults to the ANSI_0-9 layout, but as you mentioned that you have been using the PrintScr one, I took the liberty of modifying that layout by adding a Toggle NKRO to layer 2 on the N key, as previously discussed (so, Fn+Space+N), and attached that here as well (included in ZIP file). (Note that my firmware does not have COMMAND_ENABLE turned on, so you will have to define a Toggle NKRO key and use that rather than LShift+RShift+N.)

You'll want to download and install the Vial utility to run on your computer, which you can in turn use to either load the attached VIL layout to your keyboard after flashing the hex file, or to define your own layout: https://get.vial.today/download/

Let me know how it goes!
Thanks! I got Vial up and running using the firmware you sent and N key rollover is working fine now. Edit: I don't know if this is a problem with your firmware or Vial but it seems like backslash and backspace are swapped, not as in the default layout but if I select a key to be backslash it's backspace and vice versa. Not a huge issue since I can just swap what they say they are and it's normal but I thought it'd be worth bringing up.
Last edited by CoolPenguin1 on 22 Aug 2023, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.

AnnoyedWalrus

05 Apr 2022, 23:34

I0IParzival wrote:
I haven't gotten mine either, but patience is a virtue. :D

I0IParzival

05 Apr 2022, 23:36

AnnoyedWalrus wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 23:34
I0IParzival wrote:
I haven't gotten mine either, but patience is a virtue. :D
It is, but it is so close yet so far. It is stuck on the airport, like 30min away from my house

NathanA

06 Apr 2022, 00:38

CoolPenguin1 wrote:
Edit: I don't know if this is a problem with your firmware or Vial but it seems like backslash and backspace are swapped, not as in the default layout but if I select a key to be backslash it's backspace and vice versa, not a huge issue since I can just swap what they say they are and it's normal but I thought it'd be worth bringing up.
I am definitely not seeing this. I just tested it using the latest version of Vial from the download site that I linked to + the exact same firmware that I posted here today + even the exact same keymap that I included. "Bksp" backspaces, "\" prints a backslash, and that continues to hold true if I manually assign those functions to other keys.

You don't physically have your keys arranged in an HHKB-style layout, do you? Maybe post a picture of your keyboard, plus save a copy of your current keymap out of Vial, and attach both to a reply here.

CoolPenguin1

06 Apr 2022, 02:42

NathanA wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 00:38
CoolPenguin1 wrote:
Edit: I don't know if this is a problem with your firmware or Vial but it seems like backslash and backspace are swapped, not as in the default layout but if I select a key to be backslash it's backspace and vice versa, not a huge issue since I can just swap what they say they are and it's normal but I thought it'd be worth bringing up.
I am definitely not seeing this. I just tested it using the latest version of Vial from the download site that I linked to + the exact same firmware that I posted here today + even the exact same keymap that I included. "Bksp" backspaces, "\" prints a backslash, and that continues to hold true if I manually assign those functions to other keys.

You don't physically have your keys arranged in an HHKB-style layout, do you? Maybe post a picture of your keyboard, plus save a copy of your current keymap out of Vial, and attach both to a reply here.
layout.zip
(882 Bytes) Downloaded 72 times

Return to “Group buys”