Diatec announces Limited Edition Filcos (Cherry MX Red)

IanM

13 Mar 2011, 18:23

It is surprising for a UK company selling goods to the US.

I also thought the $164 US price is just the UK price ex. 20% VAT, but somehow US gets a much larger discount? Mistake maybe? I'm fairly sure computer components aren't subject to import duty in addition to the VAT. Could be that 'fulfilled by Amazon' is a very cost effective method for the seller.
Last edited by IanM on 13 Mar 2011, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

JBert

13 Mar 2011, 20:59

webwit wrote:I'm looking at that Through Hole Diagram, and I'm glad Filco addressed a level of fail in the Cherry switch design by a more sophisticated level of fail. Solder is used to make electronic contacts. They applied it to make the key feel more stable or something. You're typing on solder. Other switches don't have this problem.
You might be mistaken if you think that all the force exerted on a Cherry switch is supported only by it's soldering contacts. The guys designing the switch actually added some small plastic dimples to make the switch housing rest directly on the PCB and hence not so much on the contacts.

Just check the Cherry MX technical drawing, the Filco one just glosses over all those little details.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2011, 21:12

I'm not saying all force is supported by the solder contacts. I'm saying if they say the feel is better because of this design, some of it apparently is.

nathanscribe

13 Mar 2011, 21:41

Expensive maybe, but if you're going to type on it for the next X years, it's not really that expensive.

That's what I told myself when I bought one earlier. Whoops...

nathanscribe

15 Mar 2011, 15:26

Guess what arrived this morning?

Initial thoughts after a quick dabble:

Basically I think I'll like them. Not much gaming here (not on the DOS machine anyway), mostly typing. The click of my IBM/Unicomp/Filco with blues can get annoying sometimes, so having something whisper quiet is nice. I've an old G80-1000 with blacks, which I also like, but find myself bashing the keys too hard and the space bar is pretty heavy. The Filco w/reds uses all reds, so it's even. Feels almost too light at first, but the fingers quickly settle in and you hardly have to exert any pressure at all. Fast typing ahoy. And, in my case, typos. However, they're pleasantly gentle to use and despite the expense here in the UK, I'm not regretting throwing my hard-earned at it.

Browns next!

ripster

15 Mar 2011, 18:39

Congrats!

Personally I think Cherry Reds need a slightly stiffer spring. Bottoming out a Cherry MX is not all that pleasant.

nathanscribe

15 Mar 2011, 21:02

ripster wrote:Congrats!
Cheers! I'd like to thank my bank account, but it's not thanking me, so I won't.
Personally I think Cherry Reds need a slightly stiffer spring. Bottoming out a Cherry MX is not all that pleasant.
Somewhere between red & black, you think?

Actually so far I've found hitting the bottom not so bad on the reds, as I'm typing lighter than usual anyway, so it's more gentle overall. Hard to tell if the new PCB makes much difference though...

gorb

15 Mar 2011, 21:14

Mine arrived yesterday and I got to use it for a couple hours. I like the switches. Very soft/light is how I'd describe em.

ripster

15 Mar 2011, 21:39

Actually so far I've found hitting the bottom not so bad on the reds, as I'm typing lighter than usual anyway, so it's more gentle overall. Hard to tell if the new PCB makes much difference though...
I can't imagine the PCB making much difference when you have this hunk of metal steel plate in between.

And who needs through hole PCBs when the point of failure is clearly not the PCB to switch soldering job?

nathanscribe

15 Mar 2011, 22:15

ripster wrote:I can't imagine the PCB making much difference when you have this hunk of metal steel plate in between.
Quite. I was trying to be subtly sarcy, but the internets are a cruel mistresses.

@gorb: glad someone else bit the bullet! Wonder how many they're making on this "limited run"?

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 08:58

Too many switches to decide....Blues, Browns, Clears, Blacks, and now Reds. I have a feeling my wallets not going to come out ahead.

jnewkirk

18 Mar 2011, 09:00

On another note...why isn't there any where to try these keyboards out in stores in the US. The only mechanical keyboard I've seen in a store was a Das Keyboard at a MicroCenter.

Versus

22 Mar 2011, 09:52

The appeal of something like this drops by more than half if they were sold at a best buy. We're all keyboard hipsters after all.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Mar 2011, 15:59

Versus wrote:The appeal of something like this drops by more than half if they were sold at a best buy. We're all keyboard hipsters after all.
Haha... maybe. But I think popularity of a product can also much further improve it. If mechanical keyboards were still a mainstream product (seems like they slowly are becoming one again on the gaming sector), we would see much more of them and maybe even some innovation again... how about a new switchtype instead of closing down production, huh Cherry?

Crazy9000

23 Mar 2011, 00:39

On the flip side, if they were more popular, maybe Cherry would try to cut corners on making the switches to drive prices down. If you look at OCN, most people don't want to spend $100 on a keyboard. I don't understand why, as the keyboard lasts longer then a $300 graphics card, but that's the way it is.

If there was enough money in it, another company would probably try to make keyswitches though. That would be cool.

ripster

23 Mar 2011, 02:47

If I was at OCN and therefore about 13 years old I'd be spending my money on teenage love. Or Alcohol. Same thing actually.

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Mar 2011, 02:41

But you are at OCN, is it like this?

Return to “News”