(Model MF) Remodeling the Model M (aka.. the Mara)

Arakula

22 Nov 2016, 12:23

lot_lizard wrote: Sounds good... I updated your form. You will need case screws too unfortunately unless you have some floating around. Let me know
True ... well, my order already contains 2 sets of screws, so please make that 3.

andrewjoy

22 Nov 2016, 17:13

Would it be possible to add an indy case and overlay to my order ( from unicomp ?) the shipping they charge is insane . Better in all one.

lot_lizard

22 Nov 2016, 17:36

andrewjoy wrote: Would it be possible to add an indy case and overlay to my order ( from unicomp ?) the shipping they charge is insane . Better in all one.
Roger... need screws as well from click?

EDIT: giokk also brought up about whether we could source these? I don't think we could find the originals anywhere, but they could be made. Certainly attractive on Indy cases. Let me know if there is interest on a larger level as these would most certainly have MOQ.

andrewjoy

22 Nov 2016, 17:39

i have sapres i think but fuck knows where they are , go on add some in.

lot_lizard

23 Nov 2016, 11:12

Apologize for the double post if following the Marketplace Group Buy, but this really should be captured here. It shows the breakdown of how the split-spacebar option is broken down.

Image from earlier in the thread. Right shift is on topImage

lot_lizard

24 Nov 2016, 00:57

I realize only a sampling of us are from the states, but if you are... Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to you and yours

lot_lizard

27 Nov 2016, 22:27

Just wanted to thank Wingpad for all of his work with the replacement badge GB. GB's are work, and he stepped up to help us and is crushing it. It's a good feeling to separate the one legal silliness out of all of this.

DMA

02 Dec 2016, 07:02

I wonder what would it take to use the kit w/o case.

Those lucky guys with a stainless steel option available to them will benefit the most, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the naked version.

Too bad I've bought those industrial gray cases already.

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Dec 2016, 14:50

DMA wrote:
but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of the naked version.
A "real" Model F (122-key, anyway) has a metal bottom pan that the internal assembly screws into, which provides all the base and structure that you need, the top case shell is truly superfluous.

The Model M case is intended as a "sandwich" affair which suspends the internal assembly in the middle. I think that you would need to fabricate some sort of custom case bottom for this to be comfortable and secure.
Attachments
F-122-top-copper-elephant-wire.JPG
F-122-top-copper-elephant-wire.JPG (493.14 KiB) Viewed 4787 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

02 Dec 2016, 15:06

You could use just the bottom half of a Model M case, I suppose. It wouldn't be very portable, but should work okay when it's sitting on a desk, especially with the metal plates weighing it down.

I wouldn't want to do this just for the dust factor. :D

POTV

02 Dec 2016, 15:12

@fohat - do you plan to do a floss mod on your MF?

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Dec 2016, 15:30

POTV wrote: @fohat - do you plan to do a floss mod on your MF?

If it is as ringy and pingy as a vintage F, then yes. I am anticipating these to be more subdued.

POTV

02 Dec 2016, 15:31

@fohat, I hope you are right - but I have the dental stuff ready...

DMA

02 Dec 2016, 18:46

fohat I have approximately that setup on my table now. What I find is that front edge is quite sharp :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

02 Dec 2016, 20:49

DMA wrote:
that front edge is quite sharp
I spent a few minutes grinding, filing, and sanding to make it all nice before I primed and painted.

Also, I use a tall gel wrist rest so I never real hit the front, anyway.

micrex22

05 Dec 2016, 18:20

So I was thinking... it would be cool to have a coiled USB cable to match the SDL ones. There are in fact USB coiled cables around, although they're pretty elusive-- especially the longer ones.

The best micro USB coiled cables that I could find are made by Aleratec:
https://www.amazon.com/Aleratec-250343- ... +usb+cable

And the one most will be interested in, the USB B coiled cable from "L-COM Global Connectivity", whoever they are:
http://www.l-com.com/usb-coiled-usb-cab ... ype-b-male
This unique cable assembly features a polyurethane jacketed coil cord plus a latching Type A USB connector providing improved mating retention with any USB Type A jack. The latches lock into the channels on each side of a USB jack when fully mated. Retracted length is approximately 2.5 feet expanding up to 12.5 feet. Fully shielded and USB 2.0 compliant, this cable contains two 28 AWG power conductors plus one 28 AWG twisted pair for the data lines. Color is black.
Unique for sure. But 2.5 feet (unstretched) is still fairly abysmal. It probably would be long enough for me, but not long enough for most others. I suppose a USB extender could go on the A connector side to bring it out more-- but then you have a lump in the middle of it. So... the best solution would be to solder on a longer USB A side.

lot_lizard

05 Dec 2016, 18:24

That is sexy... the AT cables do have a lovely quality about them. A BBC if you will (big black cord.. get your head out of the gutter).

@micrex22... Nice post and thoughts

drevyek

05 Dec 2016, 19:54

I love the finish on the cables- not the matte finish that we see on most cables these days.

DMA

05 Dec 2016, 20:49

micrex22 wrote: There are in fact USB coiled cables around, although they're pretty elusive-- especially the longer ones.
You can make your own - all you need is a rod of a suitable diameter and a baking oven. Don't overbake, you're looking for "softening" temperature, not "melting" one.

..I've seen a cable from Minuteman silo code lock to internals of the silo. THAT was a proper coiled cable. Half an inch diameter, probably 5 pounds per meter of coil. Black glossy rubber. Mmmm...

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Dec 2016, 22:53

I have to admit it's funny to see people wanting a coiled cable, after I've struggled so much with my F122 coiled shorty. They look nice, but can be very impractical (I have experience with a short F122 example).

I wouldn't recommend it unless the starting cable was 3 meters or longer before coiling, or you are plugging into the front of a PC or hub less than .5 meters away with a shorty coiled cable.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 Dec 2016, 22:58

I meant to post here too: if you haven't been following the 2016 Deskthority awards, the Model MF project is up for recognition in a couple of categories, and the final vote is going on this week.

I'm so appreciative of lot_lizard, wcass, i$, and everyone else who is working on this one or has contributed, and it's really cool that the project made it to the award finals. Whether it wins an award or not, it will definitely be remembered as a great example of a project by the community, for the community.

micrex22

06 Dec 2016, 08:21

Techno Trousers wrote: I have to admit it's funny to see people wanting a coiled cable, after I've struggled so much with my F122 coiled shorty. They look nice, but can be very impractical (I have experience with a short F122 example).

I wouldn't recommend it unless the starting cable was 3 meters or longer before coiling, or you are plugging into the front of a PC or hub less than .5 meters away with a shorty coiled cable.
The official 6-foot SDL cables had less than 3 meters of straight cord. Really that's all you'd need for a keyboard connecting into a computer right nearby. The 12-foot SDL cables are just nuts! At work a coworker and I stood half across the office while stretching one; it should have been marketed as "virtually wireless".

The coiled cables look more aesthetic and feel better to hold. I may go for an L-COM global cable if the shipping isn't murderous.

POTV

06 Dec 2016, 09:28

Coiled is indeed nice - found this USB-C on Amazon Germany. It also comes in white.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01D37 ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
usbc.jpg
usbc.jpg (136.17 KiB) Viewed 4635 times

Halvar

06 Dec 2016, 09:33

Yes, don't buy this though, it's the most ridiculous thing IRL:

https://www.amazon.de/System-S-Spiralka ... d_cp_107_0

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 09:37

I just got a few USB-plugs to solder them to vintage coiled keyboard cables. They just don't make em as thick any more.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Dec 2016, 04:09

Big congrats to lot_lizard and the collaborators on this project for the double win in the Deskthority Awards! It's not hyperbole to say that this is, to me, the most exciting keyboard forum project yet. I have a feeling the custom case and flat buckling spring phases are going to be just as cool!

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

11 Dec 2016, 05:50

SOO glad to see you guys get TWO DT awards for all the insane work that went into this project! You guys got my votes for sure. Enjoy the well deserved credit and spoils of the award!

alh84001
v.001

11 Dec 2016, 11:16

It's time to split the golden wingnut :evilgeek:

Topre Enthusiast

11 Dec 2016, 11:19

If you literally split the golden wingnut, you'd be almost guaranteed to win the prestigious Ping award next DTA.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Dec 2016, 11:22

Don't chop it. :o Send it on a tour between yourselfs.

Return to “Workshop”