The wiki thread

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Apr 2012, 00:16

Sounds good. Unless someone objects I'd go ahead with it.

off

06 Apr 2012, 23:35

Hey guys,
I started on a page a couple days ago, on keyboard matrix traces, and was kinda wondering:
*Is huha still alive/around; I think it was him who'd been looking for/collecting/tracing matrices on GH quite a while back?
*Anyone else have any keyboards traced and cares to put 'em on there? I know it's not a pleasant thing to input that sorta stuff in the wiki table style, but it's the lightest on connections/storage and easy to put on a page, so went that route instead of for instance a google doc, xls or just plain membrane/pcb pics.
*Is it even a smart idea to post traces of copyrighted products on (y)our wiki? I believe in the right to fully own every product you bought, including modification (improvement, repurposing) and that implies reverse engineering etc, but I'm fairly sure that's not universal. So what's your takes on that?
I also 'stub'bed it just now, after accidentaly reading that tip a few pages back.
Also I'm aware that the relevancy of the page itself is not great, seeing how teensy's are becoming available even in NL and a diy Aikon is even cheaper/more available; but still, I feel it's nice to (1) learn from ideas that have been implemented, and (2) it's very nice to reuse otherwise useless electronics.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by off on 06 Apr 2012, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

bhtooefr

06 Apr 2012, 23:40

Mechanical switch PCBs that don't have diodes are also important to trace out for those reasons, and even mechanical boards with diodes and capacitive boards can use documenting their matrix for alternative controller reasons.

off

06 Apr 2012, 23:43

Doh- I just came back from folding laundry to re-correct myself on that xD
Sorry for having your remark look weird now.
He responded to me saying mechanical~nkro => only membranes are traceworthy

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Apr 2012, 23:54

I'm not a lawyer, but the traces seem ok to me. Documents of observed behavior. Perhaps it would be troublesome once you start producing keyboards with the same matrix, and sell these keyboards for profit. I'm still not a lawyer though.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Apr 2012, 08:35

Had a look at the modified and updated wiki.
You guys made a fantastic job, it's now much clearer and much easier to use.

Topre Enthusiast

07 Apr 2012, 10:18

Created the following Topre pages:

Sony NEWS NWP-411A
Sony NEWS NWP-5461
Topre Short-throw Keyboards
Fujitsu Axess MCR
Japan Digital Laboratory Keyboards

I hope they're not too bad but we can always clean it up later if necessary. I am open to constructive criticisms and suggestions as I am just learning this whole wiki gig :)

bhtooefr

07 Apr 2012, 13:25

Diffusing or non-diffusing subcategories?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... gorization

Basically, Category:IBM Model M keyboards is a subcategory of Category:IBM Keyboards.

Should keyboards that are in IBM Model M keyboards also be in IBM Keyboards?

Looks like Wikipedia's general rule is to diffuse - that is, to only go for the subcategory - but they allow non-diffusion.

There's benefits to both approaches, and I'm honestly not sure how to handle it.

Edit: That said, I think Keyboards should DEFINITELY be diffusing, because of the scale. Think I'll work on that today, by removing the keyboards category from anything that's already in a subcategory of Keyboards.

off

07 Apr 2012, 14:17

bhtooefr wrote:Should keyboards that are in IBM Model M keyboards also be in IBM Keyboards?
Looks like Wikipedia's general rule is to diffuse - that is, to only go for the subcategory - but they allow non-diffusion.
There's benefits to both approaches, and I'm honestly not sure how to handle it.
Edit: That said, I think Keyboards should DEFINITELY be diffusing, because of the scale. Think I'll work on that today, by removing the keyboards category from anything that's already in a subcategory of Keyboards.
Hmm.. tricky. If there is a way to get a non-diffused but still differentiated category page, that'd be the way to go imho; i.e. having the category page 'ibm keyboards' show it's subcategories in a different frame than the items contained in there, but still showing all at the same time; big fan of CTRL+F myself.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Apr 2012, 14:26

I experimented a while back with some extensions that shows stuff inside in a subcategory. Then you still see all.

off

07 Apr 2012, 14:33

sounds good!

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Apr 2012, 14:35

Although then, if you're talking about scale, there are even more keyboards on screen as many are in multiple subcategories.

off

07 Apr 2012, 14:45

hmm... duplicates are always annoying.
Should be able to find a plugin for that though :P

Icarium

07 Apr 2012, 15:55

This would probably be too big an adjustment but I'm a big fan of semantic mediawiki. It's a pretty cool extension that allows all sorts of queries.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Apr 2012, 16:01

We just need a category "All keyboards" ?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Apr 2012, 00:27

Upgraded the wiki to the latest version of mediawiki. Also using some new extensions. There's a new editor, if you don't like it you can switch to the old one in your preferences. Let me know if you find anything wrong.

Topre Enthusiast

08 Apr 2012, 00:55

Has this upgrade changed that way that gallery captions align?
They seem to be sitting in the middle of the page now - is there a way to left-justify them or something?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Apr 2012, 01:18

Yeah I noticed that. If you look for example at the Model M15 page, it seems to be a design consequence. If you make your window smaller, the gallery now wraps. It used to scroll of the screen. I'll see if I can left align it.

EDIT: Changed it now.

off

08 Apr 2012, 13:36

Ww, has this changed anything on the normal pages as well?
I just noticed that, before logging in, urls had an sid attached- presumably a unique identifier; seems unnecesarily privacy sensitive?

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Apr 2012, 14:04

It's some privacy/security protecting phpBB mechanism. Normally the sid is only used when you have cookies disabled. If you have them enabled, it appends it to a few urls such as logout, and then compares the given sid to the value passed in the cookie, apparently as a measure to prevent others logging you out or to prevent caching. Or something like that.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Apr 2012, 23:47

About the keyboard categorizing, I'd like to suggest three main categories, which should each have its own box on the wiki front page (it's two boxes now with a mix of these three categories). These are: keyboards by switch (Alps, Cherry, etc.), keyboard by type (gaming, tenkeyless, etc.) and keyboard by brand. Then if we use bhtooefr's suggestion we get a much cleaner navigation (i.e. only put a keyboard in the deepest categories). And maybe my suggestion for "list of all ... keyboards" categories can provide for those who just want a big list.

JBert

09 Apr 2012, 01:29

While we are on the topic of categories, I just noticed something peculiar: some category pages are (ab)used as content pages, for an example see http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Ch ... _Keyboards.

It becomes more fun when pages try to link to sections in this category page: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2510 for example uses the following syntax to point to such a content section:

Code: Select all

==How to Disassemble==

For disassembling, see: [[http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Cherry_Terminal_Keyboards#How_to_open How to Disassemble]]
I just fixed it to use the proper internal-linking code so that broken links can actually be detected by Mediawiki, but somehow this fix still seems wrong to me...

If you look at the updated source, notice the initial collon in :Category:name. If you forget the collon your link won't work (instead, it will add the given page to that particular category). This problem would be less likely if there was an actual page "Cherry Terminal Keyboards" which has the content.

Oh, and BTW: I love the new gallery tag and the new editor.

ripster

09 Apr 2012, 02:40

It's gotta be better than the freeware or whatever addon that iMav bought for Geekhack. That Wiki SW is a steaming pile of shit. I just finished backing up all my wikis/mods/reviews to my hard drive and ran across all kinds of problems testing the original.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1384 ... post570982

However I'm a bit scared of bhtooefr's Wiki awesomeness so will try and just take Webwit's advice copy/pasta other templates for my little test Keyboard Font wiki out in the stubs.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Apr 2012, 04:18

Well MediaWiki is what runs Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure that if it can handle that, it can handle the deskthority wiki. :mrgreen:

bhtooefr

09 Apr 2012, 12:12

JBert wrote:This problem would be less likely if there was an actual page "Cherry Terminal Keyboards" which has the content.
The fix for that would be to create the page "Cherry terminal keyboards" (note capitalization) and redirect it to the category (again with a colon before).

off

09 Apr 2012, 12:22

webwit wrote:It's some privacy/security protecting phpBB mechanism. Normally the sid is only used when you have cookies disabled. If you have them enabled, it appends it to a few urls such as logout, and then compares the given sid to the value passed in the cookie, apparently as a measure to prevent others logging you out or to prevent caching. Or something like that.
Seems very privacy sensitive to me to send plaintext unique identifiers around- could be my paranoia kickin' in, but not so sure.
And to clarify, cookies are enabled, and it only happens when I'm not loggged in.
webwit wrote:About the keyboard categorizing.. keyboard by type (gaming, tenkeyless, etc.)
While we are on that subject again; why is gaming a category? It's a marketing gimmick 90% of the time..
Tenkeyless is what is mostly ideal for gaming, and ofcourse NKRO for keyboard bashers.
So imho keyboards in category gaming should be in category tenkeyless, at least those that fit that criterium.
Still think that multiple categories per board seems a necessity.

ripster

09 Apr 2012, 13:07

At Geekhack my collobaration style is simple.

I lock down my wiki and if any Korean changes it I nuke it.

bhtooefr

09 Apr 2012, 15:06

Which might work for Ripsterhack, but not so much for Deskthority.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Apr 2012, 15:15

According to the latest events, it doesn't work for either.

ripster

09 Apr 2012, 15:40

Krazy Koreans still bug me about those damn springs. Conspiracy theory if you ask me. Why bother stocking three different springs within a 2g of each other?

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”