Custom ergonomic layout

Shawnee

30 Dec 2016, 09:09

I m currently working on my own custom layout, planning to make an ergonomic design, my original plan as the following picture. Optimization is still ongoing. :mrgreen:

Layout 001.png
Layout 001.png (57.63 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
I moved the enter and backspace keys to the middle, ctrl and shift besides the spacebar, make better use of my thumbs. Still working out on the custom board. Any suggestions on keyboard switch? :geek:

suka
frobiac

30 Dec 2016, 12:24

Shawnee wrote:I m currently working on my own custom layout, planning to make an ergonomic design, my original plan as the following picture. Optimization is still ongoing. :mrgreen:

Layout 001.png
I moved the enter and backspace keys to the middle, ctrl and shift besides the spacebar, make better use of my thumbs. Still working out on the custom board. Any suggestions on keyboard switch? :geek:
Moar thumb keys !

vvp

30 Dec 2016, 12:46

Yeah, split the space bar at least. You can map both halves to space but I bet you will like to use one half for something different, e.g. a backspace or a layer shift.

Findecanor

30 Dec 2016, 22:13

I wonder how it would feel with the keys spread out so far from one-another. You could print the layout on paper to test out how far you would have to reach with your fingers to each key.

A problem with curved columns is that by spreading out keys in an arc they get farther from one-another in total - and that applies even to the bottom row (measured from centre of Z to the centre of B) because keycaps are square.
I think that keys could be moved safely closer together by 1/3 mm without scraping against each other (That has been done before on the bottom row of the KPT-84).

Shawnee

01 Jan 2017, 12:46

vvp wrote: Yeah, split the space bar at least. You can map both halves to space but I bet you will like to use one half for something different, e.g. a backspace or a layer shift.
Hi Bro, if i split the space bar will it be 2 complicated on the bottom part? BTW I am thinking about adjust the keys beside spacebar~

Shawnee

01 Jan 2017, 12:55

Findecanor wrote: I wonder how it would feel with the keys spread out so far from one-another. You could print the layout on paper to test out how far you would have to reach with your fingers to each key.

A problem with curved columns is that by spreading out keys in an arc they get farther from one-another in total - and that applies even to the bottom row (measured from centre of Z to the centre of B) because keycaps are square.
I think that keys could be moved safely closer together by 1/3 mm without scraping against each other (That has been done before on the bottom row of the KPT-84).
Printed it out and tried several times, coz my hands are relatively small(as an Asian), i found it very difficult to get to number5 and 6, and z as you mentioned :idea: (will try to move the z row closer - seems like there are still space 4 me to work on)

We will see how it works ~ :ugeek:

vvp

02 Jan 2017, 16:17

Shawnee wrote:
vvp wrote: Hi Bro, if i split the space bar will it be 2 complicated on the bottom part? BTW I am thinking about adjust the keys beside spacebar~
Well, whether it is too complicated is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it will not be too complicated. Look e.g. at Ergodox it has many keys for thumbs. My keyboard has even more keys for thumbs and also palm keys. Anyway, a split space bar is quite common in the community so I guess most people can handle it.

vvp

02 Jan 2017, 16:30

Shawnee wrote: Printed it out and tried several times, coz my hands are relatively small(as an Asian), i found it very difficult to get to number5 and 6, and z as you mentioned :idea: (will try to move the z row closer - seems like there are still space 4 me to work on)
If you want to reach keys without much hand movement then you need non-standard keycap length (so that you can jam rows together more) or you need a contoured key well. You can consider e.g. Kinesis Advantage. But contoured keyboards are harder to move around and some people do not like them so going for smaller row spacing is probably safer and also easier (if you can make custom keycaps).
Yeah, and you may consider column staggering by at least ½U on the pinkie columns too. Maybe drop the two bottom pinkie keys on each side and move them nearer to the centre so that you can press them easily with thumbs. You must decide whether you are designing a keyboard which looks compatible with the common keyboards or whether you are designing for ergonomics :)

Yotaka

03 Jan 2017, 04:03

I hope the optimization will keeping going and listen to more advice first
Last edited by Yotaka on 14 Jan 2017, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

Shawnee

06 Jan 2017, 05:26

vvp wrote:
Shawnee wrote: Printed it out and tried several times, coz my hands are relatively small(as an Asian), i found it very difficult to get to number5 and 6, and z as you mentioned :idea: (will try to move the z row closer - seems like there are still space 4 me to work on)
If you want to reach keys without much hand movement then you need non-standard keycap length (so that you can jam rows together more) or you need a contoured key well. You can consider e.g. Kinesis Advantage. But contoured keyboards are harder to move around and some people do not like them so going for smaller row spacing is probably safer and also easier (if you can make custom keycaps).
Yeah, and you may consider column staggering by at least ½U on the pinkie columns too. Maybe drop the two bottom pinkie keys on each side and move them nearer to the centre so that you can press them easily with thumbs. You must decide whether you are designing a keyboard which looks compatible with the common keyboards or whether you are designing for ergonomics :)
Hi bro, we came up with an idea, we lower the Q column and P column by adjust 1 and 0 keycaps~ i will upload the new layout asap

Shawnee

06 Jan 2017, 05:29

Yotaka wrote: From the layout I can see in this design, it really fits fingers position. It s better than the standard keyboard I am using right now, I can stretch out a little bit on how my hand put on the keyboard. How s the development going right now? Is there any actual board or sample to look at?
Hi Yotaka~ this is our latest sample~ we are still working on the optimization, feel free to give comment my friend :mrgreen:
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG (302.2 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

Shawnee

06 Jan 2017, 05:38

Check this out guys! We made a tutor map for beginners so they can easily get use to this keyboard layout~
Tutor map.jpg
Tutor map.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Findecanor

17 Feb 2017, 14:33

Phenix
-p

18 Feb 2017, 00:34

looks interesting!
Tough I think split in halfs would improve it further. also split the spacebar..

I really like the K80cs by vvp, which also features an curve

Ray

18 Feb 2017, 08:16

The newer design with outer rows, starting with the pinky rows, being lower look to me as if they were a good improvement over a standard keyboard. A good start if you wanted something a bit more ergonomic.

Return to “Keyboards”