Post your deskthority header images here

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 17:11

Khers wrote: Those are SHARP! I like the texture of that PBT.

I wish I could take shots like that! My photos never turn out that sharp. But then again, I should probably get myself a tripod to remove my shaky hands from the equation before I start complaining that my shots are a bit soft... :)
High iso is your friend. I took it hand held at 1600 iso.
You can notice the noise in the shadows.

Also, the light came from the side, incresing the shadows in the details.

Khers

11 Apr 2015, 17:15

Also, full frame :mrgreen:

I don't think my camera would produce such nice shots at iso 1600, and it isn't full frame... A friend of mine has a d800 that I have shot the odd pic with. I think that camera, in his case most often together with a Sigma 35/1.4, is magic. Everything just looks awesome.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Apr 2015, 17:46

Yeah high ISO and that good lens. Bingo. Can't get much better.

7bit

11 Apr 2015, 17:48

Too noisy!!!!!
:mad:

Get an X100, X100S or X100T and do the same shot at ISO 3200 and just get grain, no color noise!
:o

seebart

11 Apr 2015, 17:52

Your kidding right? It may not be perfect but that's too much color noise for you 7bit? You have extremely high standards then. My shots must be total crap by those standards.

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 18:11

7bit wrote: Too noisy!!!!!
:mad:

Get an X100, X100S or X100T and do the same shot at ISO 3200 and just get grain, no color noise!
7bit, your comments are orders to me :D
Following a picture with an X100S at iso 3600, f5.6 for comparison, 1/20 hand held (range finder like) :lol:

This is my current hand held camera. I goes where I go.
The D800 is used for serious things, The X100S is slow focus and equivalent to 35mm only. It is made for a different purpose.

NOTE: wrong size, let me check it
NOTE2: does this work ? Yes, it does.
Attachments
x100s-header.jpg
x100s-header.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Last edited by idollar on 11 Apr 2015, 18:22, edited 3 times in total.

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 18:18

For comparison reasons:

D800 - 28mm 2.8 @5.6 iso 1600 follows:
header-03.jpg
header-03.jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
X100s - @5.6 iso 3600 follows:
x100s-header.jpg
x100s-header.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
To my eyes the noise is very similar.
The 28mm is sharper.

7bit

11 Apr 2015, 18:27

Hee, he's got everything!
:evilgeek:

But seriously: The X100S looks still cleaner at more than double the ISOs!
idollar wrote: I placed the 28mm objective looking the way arround with the following results:

D800
1600 ISO
Aperture priority with +0.7 to compensate the wrong metering.
f5.6
What?
:?

Any Ai lens gives matrix metering with your camera, you just need to enter the lens data (28mm / f/2.8).
:roll:

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 18:31

7bit wrote: What?
:?

Any Ai lens gives matrix metering with your camera, you just need to enter the lens data (28mm / f/2.8).
I shoot manual or aperture priority. I just need the histogram.
The Aperture metering is fast, but for a test manual adjustment looking at the histogram is normally sufficient.

BTW: stop asking for additional gear. Fast delivery is too expensive for my standard :lol:
Seriously, I only have some other digital toy cameras for today's standards (panasonic lx2 which is acceptable)

seebart

11 Apr 2015, 18:42

I think idollar knows what he is doing 7bit!

idollar
i$

11 Apr 2015, 18:46

seebart wrote: I think idollar knows what he is doing 7bit!
pictures ? ;)

seebart

11 Apr 2015, 18:57

Yes I meant photography wise.

7bit

11 Apr 2015, 19:49

I doubt it.
:evilgeek: <--- 7bit
:roll: <----seebart, i$
:? <---- average keyboard collector

Mal-2

12 Apr 2015, 01:30

I still have no DSLR because I won't settle for crop frame and -S lenses and haven't had 5D or 700 type money in a long time. Even when I did, I wouldn't have had the money for the lenses to go with it -- if I'm not going to attach f/2.8 zooms and f/2 to f/1.4 primes to it, what's point? (I got spoiled with my film camera. Too bad I invested in Canon SD and not Nikon F, or I'd still be able to use that hot glass.)

Ace
§

14 Apr 2015, 09:37

I took out two separate angles. Take your pic:

Here's a link to the entire shot incase you want to pic out your own angle: http://i.imgur.com/plSGzg3.jpg

seebart

14 Apr 2015, 09:41

nice one Ace. Really like it.

7bit

14 Apr 2015, 09:41

Perfect, but the other angle would work better with the logo:
qtwOr9j_r.jpg
qtwOr9j_r.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
The full picture looks sexy!!!
:-) :oops: :cool:

seebart

14 Apr 2015, 09:44

ah I see you applied the logo correction 7bit. Works really well that way.

Muirium
µ

14 Apr 2015, 09:50

Flipped images are strongly discouraged! You can see the fake all over them.

It's a nice picture, Ace, but the first rule of DT Header Fight Club is work around the logo. Not just any pretty picture can make a header. It's got to be composed right to let the text through.

The first one is almost good enough. I'm tempted to let it in. But a better crop for the logo would be ideal. Or another shoot!

7bit

14 Apr 2015, 10:03

This is why I suggest he shpuld do the same shot from the opposite angle. Or maybe we move the logo to the right if this header image is in use.
:mrgreen:

Here comes one that works perfectly with the logo:

seebart

14 Apr 2015, 10:07

7bit wrote: Or maybe we move the logo to the right if this header image is in use.
:mrgreen:
uhh our Scotsman in charge won't like that... :mrgreen:

bhtooefr

14 Apr 2015, 13:57

Mal-2 wrote: Too bad I invested in Canon SD and not Nikon F, or I'd still be able to use that hot glass.)
FD, you mean?

There are plenty of adapters to run FD lenses on mirrorless cameras, although you get aperture priority operation only when you do that (because there's no way for the camera to communicate aperture setting changes to the lens).

Mal-2

14 Apr 2015, 18:03

bhtooefr wrote:
Mal-2 wrote: Too bad I invested in Canon SD and not Nikon F, or I'd still be able to use that hot glass.)
FD, you mean?

There are plenty of adapters to run FD lenses on mirrorless cameras, although you get aperture priority operation only when you do that (because there's no way for the camera to communicate aperture setting changes to the lens).
Yes, FD. I have a fair amount of "hot glass" in that format. Unfortunately, I'm also not willing to accept mirrorless unless it is the splitter type, and those come with a 2/3 stop penalty to sensitivity at the sensor. If it doesn't have all the advantages of a 35 mm film camera, I will be pushing it into the corner cases that are a problem. That's where I hung out when I shot film — existing light theater photography, for example. A bit of astrophotography as well.

7bit

14 Apr 2015, 20:14

bhtooefr wrote:
FD, you mean?

All the fun of Nikon and Pentax (still lacks full frame in both 35mm and medium) is it to use the old gear without any loss of functionality!
:P

seebart

14 Apr 2015, 20:19

Absolutely why I got a Pentax DSLR so that I could use my old ASAHI lenses. Really good new Pentax lenses are easily €500. So I just shoot manually. Does not bother me. Got a 16GB flash card, gotta fill that up. :D

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 08:26

I'm not into these EXTREME CLOSEUP!! shots.

Let's try this crop instead:
Steelsaver.jpg
Steelsaver.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
Okay, closer then:
Steelsaver II.jpg
Steelsaver II.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
I think I'm going with this! Nice shot i$.

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2015, 08:34

Extreme close-ups are too extreme, true! This comes to my mind:

Muirium
µ

15 Apr 2015, 09:19

Widest crop I can make of joc's vintage NSA pic. Any good, I wonder?
IBMNSA.jpg
IBMNSA.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Nope. Logo goes right over her head! The only option is closer…
IBMNSA.jpg
IBMNSA.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
A bit harsh. But I kinda like it.

7bit

15 Apr 2015, 09:37

These 2 look good to me:

seebart

15 Apr 2015, 10:18

Muirium wrote: Widest crop I can make of joc's vintage NSA pic. Any good, I wonder?
that first one is good!

Return to “Deskthority talk”