Just dug this out of the bin, suggestions on how to proceed?

ClickyKlacky

19 Feb 2018, 06:19

Hey everyone, I recently found, for free, a 6348-A DataGeneral mechanical keyboard. I was wondering about some of the specs. Does anyone know what kind of switches it uses? Best way to convert the DIN8 connector to PS/2 and or USB? I saw this Female DIN8 to 12V usb adapter but I'm not sure if this also carries signal, and if the pinout is the same. Would this be a passive converter as opposed to active? IE: it just connects the pins up and doesn't try to convert the signal. Bottom line: I want to use this keyboard again. Thanks.
KB 6.jpg
KB 6.jpg (190.76 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
KB 5.jpg
KB 5.jpg (192.72 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
KB 4.jpg
KB 4.jpg (178.47 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
KB 3.jpg
KB 3.jpg (183.15 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
KB 2.jpg
KB 2.jpg (186.22 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
KB 1.jpg
KB 1.jpg (193.17 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

ClickyKlacky

19 Feb 2018, 06:29

Also, is there a sticky, and or forum post that has listed different keyboard switches and how to identify them? Plus, before anyone calls me out, I did scrape these pictures off of an ebay listing for the exact same keyboard. My camera is acting weird so I can't take photos right now. Though, the pictures are of the EXACT keyboard I have.

Slom

19 Feb 2018, 07:16

Fujitsu leaf spring, I think.
ClickyKlacky wrote: Also, is there a sticky, and or forum post that has listed different keyboard switches and how to identify them?
wiki/Switch_recognition

ClickyKlacky

19 Feb 2018, 08:41

Thanks! From what I have been able to gather, it might be AT or XT, and I heard that there is a converter...box..thing that one of the forum members makes and sells. I think they call it a tiny. Tiny what, I don't know. I was looking at the keyboard and it seems to have all the keys, yet it is missing the alt key. Though there is a "special" key, is that a function key? Also, what is a HOLD key? I assume that the special key can be mapped to ALT? So I can have CTRL ALT DEL? I also noticed that the caps lock and CTRL location is swapped on this. Though, I was doing some "ghost typing" with this keyboard (just pressing the keys and pretending to type), and the feel of the switches actually feel really good to me. It has a nice meaty click to them. To my ears at least.

ClickyKlacky

19 Feb 2018, 09:03

Further digging, the keyboard uses Fujitsu leaf spring Generation 2 switches.

consolation

19 Feb 2018, 18:30

You should be able to wire the output pins to a teensy and go straight to USB. Also, clicky Fujitsu springs are quite rare, that's a damn nice find.

ClickyKlacky

20 Feb 2018, 03:22

Is there a guide on how to do that? Or maybe a member that could make and sell me an adapter box?

andrewjoy

20 Feb 2018, 13:44

YOu just need to find the following pins on the connector.

VCC (5v)
GND
CLK ( clock)
DTA (data)

if you open it up you may well find them marked on the PCB

you can then use this guide to make the converter , the hard part is programming it

workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a ... t8448.html

or you can pay more to have it easy to flash with a teensey

workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-c ... t2510.html
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

ClickyKlacky

21 Feb 2018, 07:24

I will dig in later. I'm scared of breaking something.

Return to “Keyboards”