Cat Pics (the Canon kind)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Apr 2016, 03:25

I recently acquired a Canon Cat and am thrilled because these don’t come up for sale much. The Canon Cat was famously developed by Jef Raskin, of Apple Macintosh fame. While the Canon Cat is a more powerful word processor than most, it’s most exciting characteristic is the utilization of a new (for the time) user interface known as the Humane Interface. I have to admit, the first thing I did was use the Leap functionality (the two keys used below the space bar). For more information on the Humane Interface, please see this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Humane_Interface.

More pics on on my site at: http://vintagecomputer.ca/canon-cat/. Wikipedia has a very good page on the Canon Cat so if you are looking for more information, take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Cat. Here are some pics of the keyboard with SMK Inverse Cross Mount key switches. You will notice the (Caps) Lock key has purple marker on the rim. I'm not sure why because it is not locking in any way. It does, however have an LED:
Canon Cat - front profile
Canon Cat - front profile
Canon Cat - front profile.JPG (166.17 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - screen output
Canon Cat - screen output
Canon Cat - screen output.JPG (178.74 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - keyboard profile
Canon Cat - keyboard profile
Canon Cat - keyboard profile.JPG (190.53 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - key cap face legends
Canon Cat - key cap face legends
Canon Cat - key cap face legends.JPG (172.85 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - key switch and key cap
Canon Cat - key switch and key cap
Canon Cat - key switch and key cap.JPG (255.98 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - Caps lock key switch and key cap
Canon Cat - Caps lock key switch and key cap
Canon Cat - Caps lock key switch and key cap.JPG (280.6 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - key switch
Canon Cat - key switch
Canon Cat - key switch.JPG (203.77 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - Caps Lock key switch
Canon Cat - Caps Lock key switch
Canon Cat - Caps Lock key switch.JPG (250.27 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Canon Cat - double shot leap close-up
Canon Cat - double shot leap close-up
Canon Cat - double shot leap close-up.JPG (568.01 KiB) Viewed 5104 times
Canon Cat - double shot close-up
Canon Cat - double shot close-up
Canon Cat - double shot close-up.JPG (183.49 KiB) Viewed 5104 times

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Apr 2016, 03:32

Those doubleshots are amazing...

also did anyone else think they were going to see actual cat pictures when they clicked?

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

28 Apr 2016, 06:35

This is very cool. Looks like you found a very clean one as well!

We probably need a Leap/Leap Again key in Round 8 or 9.

And if you were disappointed that there were no actual cat pictures..

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2016, 08:27

the first picture almost looks like a render :) all I can say is "leap again"!

jacobolus

28 Apr 2016, 09:23

I highly recommend trying to use the thing as a word processor for a few days, the software is brilliant.

How much did you pay for it? I’m super jealous. (But not jealous enough to buy one of these for the $1000+ they come up for sometimes on US ebay.)

For anyone who wants similar switches and keycaps (minus the awesome leap keys, unfortunately), Canon typewriters from the late 1980s also transitioned to this type of SMK switch, and can be found somewhat commonly at flea markets, thrift stores, e-cyclers, etc., or on ebay/etc. (Previous models of Canon typewriters used various types of Alps switches.)

Chyros

28 Apr 2016, 10:56

Very nice! I'm missing inverse cross mount switches from my SMK 2nd gen lineup xD . Good to know they can be found in old Canon typewriters btw!

Dan

28 Apr 2016, 12:19

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Apr 2016, 14:40

The Canon cat is the best looking cat I've seen in a long time. Awesome snuci.

terrycherry

28 Apr 2016, 16:27

IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg (899.36 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Very rare to see the other variant keyboard having the SMK inverse cross mount switch and I never seen the LED in that blank hole.
Please pull out all keycap to see the another color if it really has.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Apr 2016, 16:44

terrycherry wrote: Please pull out all keycap to see the another color if it really has.
I also checked the space bar and it was white but there was an additional spring to the side. I'll take a pic of that tonight.

I was also thinking I should take all the key caps off because I took the hard ones off already (the ones with the stabalizers) so I'll do that later also.
jacobolus wrote: I highly recommend trying to use the thing as a word processor for a few days, the software is brilliant.
I bought Jef's "The Humane Interface" book and am waiting for that to arrive. I'd like to read that first before I actually start to use it.
jacobolus wrote: How much did you pay for it?
I paid $500. It was not cheap but you just can't find rare examples like this; especially in pristine condition. I thought I did well on this.

Compgeke

28 Apr 2016, 17:38

jacobolus wrote: I highly recommend trying to use the thing as a word processor for a few days, the software is brilliant.
I've used one before and the CRT was also really nice, sharp and easy to read. It's certainly better than a lot of the cheap 80s CRTs, granted it came in at a far higher price point.

cookie

29 Apr 2016, 19:53

This thing is absolutely stunning.
Sorry for the blasphemy but wouldn't it be awesome to put new hardware in it and install something modern and use it as real world computer?

Brot

29 Apr 2016, 21:29

Too many cats in this thread.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Apr 2016, 23:34

Last pic as promised for terrycherry...
Canon Cat - key caps removed.
Canon Cat - key caps removed.
Canon Cat - key caps removed.JPG (235.3 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

emdude
Model M Apologist

29 Apr 2016, 23:41

Oh wow, what a beautiful computer.. :shock:

jacobolus

30 Apr 2016, 00:10

cookie wrote: This thing is absolutely stunning.
Sorry for the blasphemy but wouldn't it be awesome to put new hardware in it and install something modern and use it as real world computer?
The software on it already is more "real world" usable for word processing than whatever alternative software you might want to replace it with.

If you want to play games or browse the web or something, then you might as well use some different machine.

If you want to use “modern” word processing / text editing software with nice keyboard support, it would be better to build your own custom keyboard, and then afterward customize the software to take advantage of the hardware features you include.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

28 Apr 2017, 21:23

Quick update as I am restoring my second Canon Cat. Since I had to take it completely apart to clean and check over, I took a couple of pics of the keyboard mechanism. You can now clearly see SMK on the PCB board.
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism front
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism front
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism front.JPG (269.19 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism back
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism back
Canon Cat - keyboard mechanism back.JPG (357.16 KiB) Viewed 4565 times

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Apr 2017, 22:40

Some other bloke was going to take some better photos of his Cat, but that was a year or two ago.

Curiously the slider is still white — those seem to yellow, although they're not as prone to yellowing as whatever plastic Omron used for B2R.

Return to “Gallery”