Holy hell is it difficult to sign up for this site lol

coder

19 Dec 2023, 17:15

I mean I guess it wasn't *that* hard. I finally figured out what "What is a poker in numbers?" was supposed to mean after my third time locking myself out of guesses. I know the purpose is to prevent bots from signing up but it's also preventing people genuinely interested in keyboards from signing up. I could just be dense. But it really did take me 3 times of getting it wrong so many times that it said "come back later" before I finally found the right one. Just feels like it's limiting anyone that isn't already very knowledgeable with keyboards. Do we not like noobs here, or are we just keeping out dumb people like me? lol

kbdfr
The Tiproman

19 Dec 2023, 17:24

The question is now "What keyboard is TOkyo PREss famous for?:"
I could have answered that one, but what was the solution for "What is a poker in numbers?" Its size?

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Dec 2023, 20:23

davkol

19 Dec 2023, 21:21

Funnily, Poker was originally advertised as 40%.
sixty wrote:
11 Feb 2011, 23:25
Previously known as the KBC 40%; it measures, as the name suggested, roughly 40% less the size of a full-sized keyboard. There is no numpad, there are no cursor keys, even the F key row has been removed!

Muirium
µ

20 Dec 2023, 11:56

When I saw this thread title I presumed it was still another complaint about DT's completely broken confirmation email system. :geek:

coder

21 Dec 2023, 05:51

The poker question answer was 60, yeah. lol. That question "What keyboard is TOkyo PREss famous for?" was one of the others I couldn't figure out. Even with googling a bunch. I suspect it wanted an exact answer and I was off by just a character or something. It's just kinda ambiguous though, you know? 60% would still be correct, but would fail the check. It does say poker "number" specifically, but I think it's still a bit confusing. Anti-spam questions should be simple to answer by any human, not just heavy keyboard enthusiasts. But that's just my opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kbdfr
The Tiproman

21 Dec 2023, 06:38

coder wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 05:51
[…] That question "What keyboard is TOkyo PREss famous for?" was one of the others I couldn't figure out. Even with googling a bunch. […]
A simple wiki search would have helped:
wiki/index.php?search=tokyo+press&title ... arch&go=Go

coder

21 Dec 2023, 09:01

Ok, but what is the answer that the site is looking for? HHKB? Happy Hacking Keyboard? Is it case sensitive? See the problem?

Muirium
µ

21 Dec 2023, 09:34

coder wrote:
Ok, but what is the answer that the site is looking for? HHKB? Happy Hacking Keyboard?
No, it's noT: loOk perhaPs a little closeR at the quEstion. ;)

depletedvespene

26 Dec 2023, 11:21

coder wrote:
Ok, but what is the answer that the site is looking for? HHKB? Happy Hacking Keyboard? Is it case sensitive? See the problem?
Tokyo Press is famous for its switches and infamous for the HHKB "keeb", so there is little doubt as to what the proper answer is. :mrgreen:

Findecanor

26 Dec 2023, 11:40

kbdfr wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 17:24
The question is now "What keyboard is TOkyo PREss famous for?:"
I can't find the answer to that question.

According to Wikipedia, Tokyo Press changed its named to Topre in 1981, but according to the DT Wiki, they started making keyboards first in 1983. So do "Tokyo Press" keyboards even exist?

The Happy Hacking Keyboard series is from PFU, a subdivision of Fujitsu. The first HHKB (and subsequent HHKB Lite and Lite2) are Fujitsu keyboards with Fujitsu rubber dome switches, and their latest model has Cherry MX-type mechanical switches from Kaihua.

Topre itself has "Topre Reλlforce" but it is a product line, not a single keyboard.

Searching "Tokyo Press" on the DT Wiki reveals those two keyboard lines, but the search matches the words "Tokyo" and "Press" separately, not the phrase "Tokyo Press".

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2023, 12:03

Well, seeing as this is clearly the pedants' thread:
depletedvespene wrote:
26 Dec 2023, 11:21
Tokyo Press is famous for its switches and infamous for the HHKB "keeb", so there is little doubt as to what the proper answer is. :mrgreen:
Topre's keyboards don't have switches. (Some have DIP switches on the back for a few sundry settings, but there's nothing special about those.) Each key on a Realforce (or the objectively superior evolution that is the HHKB) is just a module. Unlike conductive keyswitches like MX etc., there are no pins on Topre's "switches", no internal mechanism to make or break a circuit, so nothing to switch at all. They are not switches. What they really do is squeeze a conical spring into a nice flat circle underneath them, to be capacitatively sensed by the very-much-larger-than-a-single-switch PCB. The modules themselves do not switch anything.

So no, my "favourite switch" is not Topre, or buckling spring or beamspring for that matter. I favour all three of those, but none of them are switches. :ugeek:

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Dec 2023, 13:21

Thread reminds me of going into a boulangerie and them pretending to completely not understand because I didn't pronounce baguette perfectly, while pointing at it.
Last edited by webwit on 28 Dec 2023, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2023, 13:31

Oh? You want this bread? Listen, Monsieur Speakadaenglish, you don't know bread from your mother's sh…!

Return to “Deskthority talk”